Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old November 1 2012, 11:15 AM   #16
chrinFinity
Commander

Re: One Thing That Seperates Star Trek: Deep Space Nine From Other Tre

I disagree that the "religious stuff" was mumbo-jumbo. I sort of don't mind religion when the gods are demonstrably real. And the really interesting aspect of the religious storyline was the intersection with Bajoran politics. I felt that the non-linear nature of the Prophets' existence fully justified and explained the pseudo-mystical nature of the prophecies, the "Emissary" plot line, etc.

Also we got a whole lot less of "blue team hates red team on planet of the week, away team in peril" bullshit, and a lot more fleshed out recurring characters.
Old November 1 2012, 04:19 PM   #17
Kira Nerys
Fleet Captain

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Photon wrote: View Post
Is: they fewer junk, throwaway episodes. Voyager had a few good ones, TNG had many like DS9. Still, the former had many, many, many very forgettable and dare I say many terrible episodes.

Seriously, I can count on 1 hand DS9's junk eps. I would need more phalanges to get Voyager and TNG (and TOS)
While I love DS9, I can count rather more junk episodes than that, mostly in the final season, between horrid shit like "Take Me Out to the Holosuite," and pretty much every episode involving Ezri Dax.
I love Take me OUt to the holosuite, it is one of my top favorites of the entire series
Kira Nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 06:10 PM   #18
BruntFCA
Commander

While I understand that "STAR TREK IS SERIOUS BUSINESS" and stuff, Take Me Out to the Holosuite is absolutely brilliant.
Old November 1 2012, 06:24 PM   #19
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

TheRoyalFamily wrote: View Post
Ezri Dax is Best Dax.

I'm with you on "Take Me Out To the Holosuite," though. Maybe would have worked before the Dominion War, but not during. Also, baseball has no place.
Ironically, and I say that as a person who is not a sports fan by any measure, I liked "Take Me Out to the Holsuite". It provided a nice respite from the war stories. And it's the only time in my life I ever enjoyed watching a baseball game.

And I agree with you about Ezri. I liked her alot. I don't know if I liked her as much as I did Jadzia, but as long as we couldn't have Jadzia, Erzi was a perfectly acceptable replacement.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 06:47 PM   #20
Mr_Homn
Captain

chrinFinity wrote: View Post
I disagree that the "religious stuff" was mumbo-jumbo. I sort of don't mind religion when the gods are demonstrably real. And the really interesting aspect of the religious storyline was the intersection with Bajoran politics. I felt that the non-linear nature of the Prophets' existence fully justified and explained the pseudo-mystical nature of the prophecies, the "Emissary" plot line, etc.

Also we got a whole lot less of "blue team hates red team on planet of the week, away team in peril" bullshit, and a lot more fleshed out recurring characters.
I had significant problems with the way this was executed. Especially when they started talking about "bajoran faith" or faith in general.

When your "gods" are scientifically proven to exist then it has nothing to do with faith. So when Kira says things like "You can't understand faith unless you have it" it rang really hollow to me.

I didn't like how the show seemed to almost pat itself on the back for depicting faith as an positive thing, but all the while it had nothing to do with actual faith. It seemed ridiculous that starfleet officers would continually take the attitude that the bajoran faith stuff was untrustworthy or hard to believe, when they themselves recognized the existence of the wormhole aliens and their ability to manipulate time/space.. There's nothing to have faith in there, it's all right there in front of them.

It's hard to really put into words what I'm trying to say, because I'm not very eloquent, but does anyone know what I mean?
Old November 2 2012, 04:31 AM   #21
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Do you mean that they disputed the faith itself when there was nothing to dispute as the reality was completely scientific?

As if I had a friend who believed the mail came from the gods and instead of explaining to them that the mail comes from humans I said "I don't think I can swallow your faith".

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 05:19 PM   #22
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The way to do the feligious mumbo jmbo is to make Sisko the focal point and give him something to lose. have Starfleet put down their foot when he starts takng the Emissary jazz so seriosly that he's giving Bajorans advice that contradicts Federation interests. Sisko has blind faith in the Prophets, but that faith should have been challenged.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 05:32 PM   #23
Relayer1
Commodore

I thought 'Take Me out, was pretty good for a holodeck episode. It wasn't Badda-Bing, but I did enjoy it...
Old November 3 2012, 01:34 PM   #24
chrinFinity
Commander

The idea that the Prophets look out for Bajor and so should be trusted completely is still a leap of faith. Just because the Prophets are real and non-linear is not, in itself, a guarantee that the Bajorans faith in them is justified. However, as we learned over the course of the series (and the relaunch novels), it turns out their faith was justified after all.
Old November 4 2012, 06:43 AM   #25
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

teacock wrote: View Post
I didn't want a respite.

I wanted machinations and death!
Well... too bad!

teacock wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Too much of it was waiting around on the station and hoping something interesting would happen.
See I was always in love with the station itself. I love the idea of living on a space station, would far rather live there than a starship. I like transitional spaces that are hubs. Airports, train stations.. DS9 was all that with aliens. So I was quite happy to hang out there with the vole problems and Quarks establishment and cargo holds and all kinds of folk passing through.
Same here. DS9 had more of that diversity I was looking for in a tale about a future where humanity has reached the stars. It's why I play STO, and why I'm almost always on DS9.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 07:27 AM   #26
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Don't tempt me with that STO!

And yes, the majority of the characters are not humans on DS9. This has a huge impact on the show, it generates so much extra creativity I think.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 01:00 AM   #27
Kira Nerys
Fleet Captain

It also has a better storylines and.....not to mention ...Kira .
Kira Nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2012, 01:55 AM   #28
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Religious mumbo-jumbo. Thats what separates DS9 from other Treks.
I don't agree with you on much, but I agree with this.

Let's see what's out there...
Kirk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 08:35 PM   #29
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

The Emperor's New Cloak is a pretty bad one, IMO. And the one where Quark dresses up like a woman.

The season finale of DS9 was heavy on the pseudo religious stuff. Fire caves (hell) Celestial temple (heaven) final showdown between good and evil....

I think they overdid it with all of that.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2012, 02:27 AM   #30
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Too much of it was waiting around on the station and hoping something interesting would happen.
Hoping something interesting would happen on DS9, is like staring out your window at a torrential downpour and hoping that it would rain.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote