Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 14 2012, 09:58 PM   #226
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Re: X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

The truth is most continuity is vague by its very nature. Its fiction. Authors often contradict their own work. Leaving things vague allow them to adjust and expand their ideas. Its art not history. Hell our perceptions of history is contradictory and changing.

Its hilarious that fans expect clear and rigid continuity in adaptations of Superhero comic books. The actual source material has sloppy, always changing continuity.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 10:01 PM   #227
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
The truth is most continuity is vague by its very nature. Its fiction. Authors often contradict their own work. Leaving things vague allow them to adjust and expand their ideas. Its art not history. Hell our perceptions of history is contradictory and changing.
This.
Old November 15 2012, 06:49 AM   #228
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
Exactly.
Old November 15 2012, 06:55 AM   #229
JD
Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
It's very much a prequel to Singer's movies
Except for where it doesn't fit, such as the thing about Magneto helping Xavier build Cerebro.
Of course it's not going to have perfect continuity with Singer's movies. It's called creative license. They were trying to make the best film they could possibly make, and they didn't want to be a complete stickler to continuity. I get that.

Besides that, Magneto could still help Xavier build Cerebro. Hank might have designed Cerebro for the CIA, but at the end of First Class, Xavier hasn't even opened up the school yet. In the comics, Xavier and Magneto's relationship was always rocky. They would go from being friends to enemies and then back again. At one point, Magneto was actually leading the X-Men, which I think would be an interesting topic to explore in a sequel.

So, ostensibly, Magneto could still help Xavier build Cerebro underneath Xavier's mansion. It's still feasible.
Yeah, I don't think the end of FC would totally rule out their working together again if a big enough threat came about. It set up their differing ideologies, and who their followers would be, but they weren't trying to kill each other or anything. I think Eric's reaction when Charles was shot made it pretty clear he still cared.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 03:59 AM   #230
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

It's very much a prequel to Singer's movies
Except for where it doesn't fit, such as the thing about Magneto helping Xavier build Cerebro.
Of course it's not going to have perfect continuity with Singer's movies. It's called creative license. They were trying to make the best film they could possibly make, and they didn't want to be a complete stickler to continuity. I get that.
If they had included Erik helping Xavier build Cerebro in the film, how would that have necessarily made it a worse film? The best film they could possibly make and continuity are not mutually exclusive.
Old November 16 2012, 04:17 AM   #231
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I just rewatched "X-Men" the other day and despite the obvious continuity glares "X-Men: First Class" still very much fits in with the universe Singer designed and helped create. There are some things changed and perhaps even forgotten, but nothing that drastically says the two films can't coexist together. It's kind of like a retconned comic in a way, which we know happens all the time.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 04:38 AM   #232
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Bryan Singer tweet: "For those of you wondering...no leather suits."
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 04:44 AM   #233
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Which makes sense since the leather suits were for the "X-Men" which haven't been established yet. I still think we'll probably get costumes similar in design to "First Class" but a little tweaked. Who knows though what the characters from the future (if we in fact see them) will be wearing.

Old November 16 2012, 02:44 PM   #234
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I think the best choice in the future is just civilian clothes. After all, they want to do their best to blend in. I assume you'll have to show the future, although how much remains uncertain.
Old November 16 2012, 09:22 PM   #235
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Depends what version of the future they'll be using. It could be a '1984' style dystopia dominated by Sentinel & Master Mold in which case the outfits are liable to be of the prison camp fatigues/freedom fighter persuasion. If it's more along the lines of the "Age of Apocalypse" storyline then it'll be more akin to 'Mad Max 2'. Then again it could just be a "normal" future and not require any special costume designs.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 09:27 PM   #236
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Future Logan wears regular clothing, then there are the mutant prison camp jumpsuits...shown in the panel in this article...

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/06/0...ie-makes-sense

Old November 17 2012, 02:04 PM   #237
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

If they had included Erik helping Xavier build Cerebro in the film, how would that have necessarily made it a worse film? The best film they could possibly make and continuity are not mutually exclusive.
Maybe they wanted to save that aspect for a sequel? Who knows.

We're not the creatives behind this process. At the end of First Class, the characters were (re)introduced, the relationships established, and the stage set. Xavier's school hadn't even been opened yet.

After all, there is still something like 30 years before we get to the events of Singer's first X-Men movie (if that- remember the title card said "The not too distant future", so it could even be more than 30 years), so a lot can happen from now until then. Why hinder future stories when you can save certain elements for other installments?
Old November 17 2012, 02:16 PM   #238
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Also the biggest thing we have to keep in consideration here...is that we only know they're adapting "Days of Future Past", we don't now the how yet.

Obviously they're most likely not going to do a straight up adaptation considering the state of the timeline and universe right now. I suspect the first movie will jump start or "seed" events that lead into the conditions that create the "Days of Future Past" future at some point in later films.

I could be wrong, just speculating after all...but one of the reasons why I didn't really believe the story at first was because of where we are in the timeline. The actual comic story happens when the X-Men are already established. We just started to see the start of that with "First Class". So there are a ton of interesting things that Singer and company are going to have to do. It should be a fun ride to see what they come up with

Old November 17 2012, 07:40 PM   #239
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

In other words, it isn't the right point in the chronology for DOFP, but they're going to do it anyway, because of the popularity of DOFP.
Old November 27 2012, 09:03 PM   #240
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen are officially coming back!