Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old July 31 2012, 10:24 PM   #31
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Should a new Star Trek show be live action or animated?

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
A cartoon doesn't always have to be aimed at children. Sure it can be inclusive, but take say... Gargoyles. That's a show I'd rewatch right now these days.
Gargoyles was still considered a cartoon aimed at kids. Such shows can have U.S. television ratings that range from TV-Y (safe for pre-schoolers) to TV-PG (containing mild language, moderate violence, or even light sexual content).

It's when you start getting into the TV-14 range that a show is considered inappropriate viewing for kids under the age of 14.
LtChange wrote:
If animation automatically there will do a kid friendly series wich will simply destroy better stories. Better stories in an animation series will be mediocre at best compared to any other previous live action episodes...
Which is untrue. There are animated shows out there that can blow away live-action fare. Not all animated shows have simplistic stories and characters. Quite a few anime shows--of the non Saturday-morning toy-based variety, IMO--are frequently very complex.
Oh come on, the rating has nothing to do with the material save they're more creative in scorning characters with their language. Take STII... if that was made today Kirk would have just yelled "F*&% you!!!" instead of "KHAAANNN!!"

You can have a complicated plot and compelling deep characters without coarse language and graphic gore. Honestly flashy effects tend to compensate for lack of plot elements these days.
Old July 31 2012, 10:28 PM   #32
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

A cartoon doesn't always have to be aimed at children. Sure it can be inclusive, but take say... Gargoyles. That's a show I'd rewatch right now these days.
Gargoyles was still considered a cartoon aimed at kids. Such shows can have U.S. television ratings that range from TV-Y (safe for pre-schoolers) to TV-PG (containing mild language, moderate violence, or even light sexual content).

It's when you start getting into the TV-14 range that a show is considered inappropriate viewing for kids under the age of 14.
LtChange wrote:
If animation automatically there will do a kid friendly series wich will simply destroy better stories. Better stories in an animation series will be mediocre at best compared to any other previous live action episodes...
Which is untrue. There are animated shows out there that can blow away live-action fare. Not all animated shows have simplistic stories and characters. Quite a few anime shows--of the non Saturday-morning toy-based variety, IMO--are frequently very complex.
Oh come on, the rating has nothing to do with the material save they're more creative in scorning characters with their language. Take STII... if that was made today Kirk would have just yelled "F*&% you!!!" instead of "KHAAANNN!!"

You can have a complicated plot and compelling deep characters without coarse language and graphic gore. Honestly flashy effects tend to compensate for lack of plot elements these days.
What does any of this have to do with, well...anything?
Old August 1 2012, 01:50 PM   #33
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Would an animated series be hour-long episodes (as with live action Trek) or half-hour ones? That would put a dampner on what could be done in a single episode, though story arcs would work just as well.

An animated series might have to be more action-orientated (but seeing as how that was where VOY and ENT were going that isn't anything new), to draw in a wider audience--lets brain-wash some kids to appreciate Trek in all its greatness

As for the comment made about droids and Jar Jar, well a Trek cartoon would remain Trek, just animated. There are no droids and annoying alien characters are confined to the Delta Quadrant. It would be another look at Trek in a very different format, which I personally think might suit it quite well.

I do think that if an animated Trek was an entirely new series they would need to do a TOS/DS9 cross, where in there is a small core of main characters (4 or 5), with a large pool of engaging and interesting supporting characters to be used wherever needed.

So long as they got the setting, characters and stories right. That is what needs to be focused on no matter what format the next series takes
Old August 1 2012, 06:56 PM   #34
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Would an animated series be hour-long episodes (as with live action Trek) or half-hour ones? That would put a dampner on what could be done in a single episode, though story arcs would work just as well.
A half-hour cartoon would really just cause a story to get straight to the point and eliminate the need for a "B-plot" that runs parallel to the main plot (such things can be reinstated with a multi-episode arc, though).
An animated series might have to be more action-orientated (but seeing as how that was where VOY and ENT were going that isn't anything new), to draw in a wider audience--lets brain-wash some kids to appreciate Trek in all its greatness
And there's nothing wrong with that in a action-adventure cartoon, really. Hook 'em in as young as you can. A new Trek cartoon can exist in its own continuity for kids like the various Transformers, G.I. Joe, and comic book-based cartoon shows.
Old August 1 2012, 08:07 PM   #35
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Star Wars: The Clone Wars mixes multi-episode arcs with single episodes. I'm sure a Trek animated series would do the same. Even shows like Young Justice do season long arcs.
Old August 1 2012, 09:00 PM   #36
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I'm not saying any of that is bad (I like how The Clone Wars has a mix of arcs and stand alones), I was thinking about how an animated series would differ from live action.

It'd be different and may take a little time to win some people over, but I'd watch it
Old August 22 2012, 10:22 PM   #37
Mars
Captain

The Overlord wrote: View Post
Well let's look at the pro and cons of an animated series vs. a live action series.

An animated series would have a smaller budget and could create more fantastic alien designs.

The biggest problem with an animated series is the Animation Age Ghetto. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ationAgeGhetto

Now Star Trek is not some super dark series and I do think most of the Star Trek episodes are fit for whole family, not being said I would hope some greedy exec wouldn't try to use a Star Trek cartoon to talk down to kids and try to sell them toys. I will say I think TV animation has improve a lot over the last 20 years, starting with the introduction of BTAS.

I think an animated show would have a faster pace then a then a live action, but if handled well perhaps it blend high paced action with heavier concepts, similar to what BTAS, Gargoyles and Avatar did.
If they go animated, I think it should be done in the Clone Wars style, and they should use the actors from the Star Trek XI movie as voice actors for the animated characters, or try to get as many of them as the budget allows and hire sound alike voice actors to fill in the rest, if they sound like the original actors for the series, that's good too. I like the up rated Enterprise on steroids concept used in the Movie, it at all possible an animated version of that star ship should be used. The animated series should pick up where the movie left off doing a 5-year voyage and so on.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 08:38 PM   #38
Mars
Captain

Hey, I just got a great idea for an animated series:

Star Trek: Mirror Universe

The Mirror Universe would go from the 22nd century (Captain Archer's time) to the 24th century (The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager) The reason why its a good idea is the actors have aged since those television series were produced, but we can still use them as voice actors for animated characters. The thing about the Mirror Universe that's different from all the rest is that the main characters from all the regular series are more expendable. Expendability creates suspense, since the viewer doesn't know who is going to live and who is going to die, the sense of danger and tension is all the more greater. We need a larger cast of regular characters of course, the actors would have contracts that specify that they continue to get paid for a certain amount of time even if their characters get killed, and if a particular actor is too expensive, a sound alike can more readily be found than someone who sort of looks like that character in live action.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 06:57 AM   #39
DynV
Ensign

How about quick advertisements by the extras like "Oh the product type by brand is wonderful!" in transition scenes. There's also the good ol' product placement.

But seriously, unless media sales (BD/DVD) goes up and the shows are put on site forcing lots of ads (sometimes I won't be able to see videos unless I temporarily disable my ad blocker), the cheaper way will surely win.
Old November 14 2012, 09:53 PM   #40
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Forget about DVD sales, that's on its way out. Streaming is the future. Whether there are ads depends on the individual outlet. I don't get why people are willing to put up with ads on Hulu Plus but maybe they get more stuff more quickly that snails-pace but ad-free Netflix. Personally, I'd rather just wait.

Anyway, what CBS should do is put a new show on Netflix and Hulu Plus and iTunes and anywhere else they can get it. Certainly Star Trek is a powerful enough brand name, especially for the early-adopter tech types who already have streaming subscriptions, that they can laugh off any attempts to insist on an exclusive. The way to make the finances work is to cobble together wide-ranging distribution, on TV and streaming (and DVD sales to the extent they persist).

The problem is, this is all a lot of work for CBS, why not just do another cop show instead and show it on traditional TV? Conversely, the motivation is, ratings for traditional TV are sliding badly, and CBS is finally getting hit by their audience aging out of the 18-49 demo, and it's only going to get worse. Now is the time to start figuring out new business models that will work in the future, and Star Trek is a good guinea pig to experiment with.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 07:05 PM   #41
newtontomato539
Commander

I don't get the hate against an animated series.

Batman TAS, Spider-man the new animated series, Doctor Who Animated, Futurama, Mystery Inc., Star Wars Clone Wars, Ultimate Spider-Man, South Park, Robot Chicken, Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions and Batman Arkham games are fantastic.

These examples show that Star Trek TAS 1 and 2 could be done just as good.
newtontomato539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2012, 02:30 AM   #42
David F. Weisma
Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's too tempting for an animated show to try and pick up younger viewers, even at the cost of adult content. And by adult I mean complex, though the other limitation applies too.
David F. Weisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2012, 02:41 AM   #43
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I've seen some animated shows rival Star Trek in complexity. Sometimes the only difference is that an animated show may have more humor (or at least less people looking grimly off into the distance somewhere contemplating their misery).
Old November 22 2012, 04:36 AM   #44
bullethead
Fleet Captain

I've seen some animated shows rival Star Trek in complexity. Sometimes the only difference is that an animated show may have more humor (or at least less people looking grimly off into the distance somewhere contemplating their misery).
And there are plenty of animated shows (mostly Japanese ones) that go far darker than some western shows and involve tons of misery (animated/live action).
Old November 22 2012, 01:50 PM   #45
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

bullethead wrote: View Post
And there are plenty of animated shows (mostly Japanese ones) that go far darker than some western shows and involve tons of misery (animated/live action).
I think it's best for an animated Trek series to steer well clear of that extreme and just be a solid action-adventure with both serious and light moments.