RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,936
Posts: 5,390,036
Members: 24,725
Currently online: 589
Newest member: Miltan08

TrekToday headlines

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 14 2012, 03:03 AM   #16
Kommander
Commodore
 
Kommander's Avatar
 
Location: Detroit
Re: What would it take to make you change your mind?

Ood Sigma wrote: View Post
I'm constantly re-evaluating everything, so it doesn't take a whole lot.
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Like Ood Sigma, I am constantly evaluating and re-evaluating everything. If I am given sufficient cause, and the data to support it, I will change my mind.
Given the premise of the thread, responses like this seem like bullshit. However, I'm the same way, and it does fit the assertions of the OP.

Humans base their opinions not on logic, but out of an emotional desire to win. Therefore, when people argue, they try to win even if their opinions have no basis in logic.

I do not argue to win, I argue to be right. If I'm right at the beginning of an argument, then I'm right at the end of an argument and I win. If I'm wrong at the beginning of an argument, then I realize that, purge erroneous information, I then become right, and I still win. With this way of thinking, I have the satisfaction of always winning whether I'm right or wrong.

As far as confirmation bias goes, I try my damnedest to catch myself doing it before I form opinions.
__________________
"[...] I firmly believe that someone who's being a dick about something is obligated to be a logically consistent dick." -Dan Savage
Kommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 03:24 AM   #17
J. Allen
Dancing on Rainbows
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: What would it take to make you change your mind?

Kommander wrote: View Post
Ood Sigma wrote: View Post
I'm constantly re-evaluating everything, so it doesn't take a whole lot.
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Like Ood Sigma, I am constantly evaluating and re-evaluating everything. If I am given sufficient cause, and the data to support it, I will change my mind.
Given the premise of the thread, responses like this seem like bullshit. However, I'm the same way, and it does fit the assertions of the OP.

Humans base their opinions not on logic, but out of an emotional desire to win. Therefore, when people argue, they try to win even if their opinions have no basis in logic.

I do not argue to win, I argue to be right. If I'm right at the beginning of an argument, then I'm right at the end of an argument and I win. If I'm wrong at the beginning of an argument, then I realize that, purge erroneous information, I then become right, and I still win. With this way of thinking, I have the satisfaction of always winning whether I'm right or wrong.

As far as confirmation bias goes, I try my damnedest to catch myself doing it before I form opinions.
Exactly. I don't argue to win, I argue to present factual data into the conversation.
__________________
Visit us at Brony Kingdom!
You will never find a more precious hive of love and humility.
---------
"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 04:38 AM   #18
Grey
Lieutenant Commander
 
Grey's Avatar
 
Location: Caladan
Re: What would it take to make you change your mind?

I don't like being incorrect, but I do like changing my mind on things.

Acquired tastes are always worth acquiring. I love finding new things I prefer.

As for deeper beliefs like religion, politics, etc. I've done quite a bit of changing on those things over the years. I follow what most makes sense to me based on my analysis of any given topic (I do like to think!), so as such I'm not closed to changing my mind or allowing new information in.
__________________
Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing!

Cat Caddy - a comic blog
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 04:53 AM   #19
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: What would it take to make you change your mind?

Santaman wrote: View Post
I only change my mind if its 100% proven that I'm wrong, otherwise nope, no way.
Same here.
__________________
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 05:02 AM   #20
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: What would it take to make you change your mind?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Santaman wrote: View Post
I only change my mind if its 100% proven that I'm wrong, otherwise nope, no way.
Same here.
Seems backwards to me. I don't believe in something until it's proved right (at least to the degree to which anything can be proved right).
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 09:43 AM   #21
scotpens
Vice Admiral
 
scotpens's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: What would it take to make you change your mind?

What would it take to make me change my mind?

A reasoned, well-thought-out argument with a logical conclusion based on demonstrable facts.

Or, being made an offer I can't refuse.

__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 11:12 AM   #22
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: What would it take to make you change your mind?

Isn't this one of those questions that is very difficult to answer really isn't it? I mean we can say "oh I'll change my mind at the drop of a hat if something is proven to me." but then actually turn round and argue against new proof if it's something you don't like or "feels" wrong and say "I'm waiting for more proof on this."
On the other hand you can say it would take moving heaven and earth to make me change my mind, but sway with the wind on popular belief. "Fox News says it so it must be true but only within my narrowly defined way." view of the world.

Personally I like to believe I'm open to new evidence and new ways of looking at things, so even if it doesn't change what I believe myself I'm open enough to believe there's enough that relies on our own perceptions in this world that just because I experience something one way doesn't mean everyone does, and therefore I am right and you are wrong. People can have their own experience and I don't have to be right all the time, though I am...


And now I want to watch my Tim Minchin DVDs. Thanks TSQ! Adding temptation to laugh.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 11:26 AM   #23
Deckerd
Fleet Arse
 
Deckerd's Avatar
 
Location: the Frozen Wastes
Re: What would it take to make you change your mind?

I don't suddenly change my opinions, I gradually shift. It helps, to me, that despite the fact I post a lot, I rarely actually say anything of worth. Inside my head I have all sorts of uninformed, knee-jerk, savage thoughts but I never express them. My inner policing won't let them out. (Except at home with my OH, when we throw things at the TV and swear a lot.)
__________________
They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.
Deckerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 11:32 AM   #24
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: What would it take to make you change your mind?

Deckerd wrote: View Post
I don't suddenly change my opinions, I gradually shift. It helps, to me, that despite the fact I post a lot, I rarely actually say anything of worth. Inside my head I have all sorts of uninformed, knee-jerk, savage thoughts but I never express them. My inner policing won't let them out. (Except at home with my OH, when we throw things at the TV and swear a lot.)
Oh, as soon as a politician shows up on TV and starts talking I shout "Oh FUCK! OFF!"
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 11:53 AM   #25
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting
 
macloudt's Avatar
 
Location: A Canuck in southwest England
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt
Re: What would it take to make you change your mind?

Deckerd wrote: View Post
I don't suddenly change my opinions, I gradually shift. It helps, to me, that despite the fact I post a lot, I rarely actually say anything of worth. Inside my head I have all sorts of uninformed, knee-jerk, savage thoughts but I never express them. My inner policing won't let them out. (Except at home with my OH, when we throw things at the TV and swear a lot.)
This describes me very well. Most often I don't have anything to add to a discussion as my thoughts have already been voiced by someone else, or I'm so undecided on the subject that I just sit back and see what other people have to say. I have initial knee-jerk reactions, but have learned the hard way to keep my mouth shut until I've done some research and thought things through.

Oh, and shouting at the telly? All. The. Time. So does my husband. It embarrasses the hell out of our teenagers, which makes it even more fun.
__________________
...if you got rid of all the autism genetics, you wouldn't have science or art. All you would have is bunch of social 'yak yaks'.--Temple Grandin
macloudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 11:55 AM   #26
Kestra
Vice Admiral
 
Kestra's Avatar
 
Re: What would it take to make you change your mind?

I'm the opposite. I feel my filter crumbling away.
__________________
"You're not my type." --Manticore
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 11:59 AM   #27
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting
 
macloudt's Avatar
 
Location: A Canuck in southwest England
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt
Re: What would it take to make you change your mind?

My filter, or edit function, as I like to call it, has improved in some ways over the years, but in some situations I purposely turn it off. This may have something to do with my being a cantankerous old hag *points to personalised rank* and I get pleasure out of freaking out people who could do with a good freaking out.
__________________
...if you got rid of all the autism genetics, you wouldn't have science or art. All you would have is bunch of social 'yak yaks'.--Temple Grandin
macloudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 11:59 AM   #28
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: What would it take to make you change your mind?

FUCK FILTERS!!
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 12:15 PM   #29
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: What would it take to make you change your mind?

teacake wrote: View Post
FUCK FILTERS!!
Is that what they call Net Nanny software nowadays?
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 12:29 PM   #30
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting
 
macloudt's Avatar
 
Location: A Canuck in southwest England
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt
Re: What would it take to make you change your mind?

Ten points to Gryffindor, erm, I mean Bob.
__________________
...if you got rid of all the autism genetics, you wouldn't have science or art. All you would have is bunch of social 'yak yaks'.--Temple Grandin
macloudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.