Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

View Poll Results: Choose your top 5 TOS guest actors.
Susan Oliver as Vina 13 30.95%
Robert Walker as Charlie 11 26.19%
Marc lenard as Romulan Com. 28 66.67%
Arnold Moss as Karidian 6 14.29%
James Gregory as Dr Adams 2 4.76%
William Campbell as Trelayne 16 38.10%
Ricardo Montalban as Khan 24 57.14%
Joan Collins as Edith 7 16.67%
Michael Forest as Apollo 4 9.52%
Celia Lovsky as T'Pau 10 23.81%
William Windom as Decker 24 57.14%
William Marshall as Daystrom 17 40.48%
Morgan Woodward as Cap Tracy 4 9.52%
France Nuyen as Elaan 6 14.29%
Lee Bergere as Lincoln 2 4.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 22 2012, 04:03 AM   #31
Esteban
Commander

Re: Best guest performances on TOS......

[QUOTE=UnknownSample;7134817]
Esteban wrote: View Post

I don't like to think that I'm someone who can mistakenly take seriously an intentionally hammy piece of acting.
It's possible that what seemed like exaggerated acting to him at the time fit perfectly, for the frantic, unbalanced, guilt-ridden Decker. Windom was the king of guest roles on TV at the time, but offhand I can't remember his being that intense in other shows. Maybe he was stepping into new territory he was unsure of.
We cannot be sure. However, if you ever see some of his other work, say, in The Twilight Zone, you'll know that Windom was not incapable of chewing some scenery. But to my mind it was always to good effect, as it was in "Doomsday".

I try to be fair and consider the times. Even in 1967 television was only, what, 15 years old? Most of these guys--including a certain balding Canadian actor of the time--were "classically trained". I think that means yelling loudly on an off-Broadway stage.

I'm not knocking them. That's what they knew to be "acting". The fact that television is a cool medium had not quite made it through the ranks yet. Some had figured it out, but most hadn't.

Regardless, I give Mr. Windom a huge nod in making that episode forever memorable.
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 12:17 AM   #32
UnknownSample
Captain

My possibly neurotic little worry is over whether Windom knowingly turned in an intentionally hammy performance... and whether I "fell for it", since I did and still do consider it great.

I think other people probably protect themselves against feeling like idiots a little more efficiently than I do...
Old October 23 2012, 06:43 PM   #33
TOSalltheway
Lieutenant Commander

RE:

"Yes, I've always really liked Windom, but it threw me when I heard a few years ago that Windom had no respect for Trek, and intended his performance to be hammy and over-the-top. Then I look at Decker in the shuttle being swallowed by the Cornicopia of Doom, and I start to see it. His expressions of fear start to look ridiculous to me."

I agree his reaction is over the top, but remember this is a Captain in the midst of a nervous breakdown and emotional collapse.
TOSalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 06:52 PM   #34
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

TOSalltheway wrote: View Post
RE:

"Yes, I've always really liked Windom, but it threw me when I heard a few years ago that Windom had no respect for Trek, and intended his performance to be hammy and over-the-top. Then I look at Decker in the shuttle being swallowed by the Cornicopia of Doom, and I start to see it. His expressions of fear start to look ridiculous to me."

I agree his reaction is over the top, but remember this is a Captain in the midst of a nervous breakdown and emotional collapse.
And moments away from death.
Old November 9 2012, 08:11 AM   #35
Von Bruno
Cadet

Considering how this is a Top 5 list I am surprised Ricardo Montalban didn't get 100%. Interesting.
Von Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 08:45 PM   #36
jayrath
Fleet Captain

For my money, one of the best (and most understated) performances in all of TOS was Logan Ransey as the sly, oily Roman proconsul Claudius in "Bread and Circuses." If the episode works for you at all, it's because of him. He was always so good in any TV program I've seen him.

Many actors . . . you can tell they're acting. Ramsey made it appear effortless. It's a shame he's not better remembered.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 02:44 AM   #37
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

jayrath wrote: View Post
For my money, one of the best (and most understated) performances in all of TOS was Logan Ransey as the sly, oily Roman proconsul Claudius in "Bread and Circuses." If the episode works for you at all, it's because of him. He was always so good in any TV program I've seen him.

Many actors . . . you can tell they're acting. Ramsey made it appear effortless. It's a shame he's not better remembered.

One of my favorites as well.
Old November 11 2012, 06:46 PM   #38
Gary7
Rear Admiral

I'm glad to see Mark Lenard won this little poll (RIP). Well deserved, although that doesn't belittle the other guest stars, many of whom were terrific in their own right.
jayrath wrote: View Post

I'm glad you mentioned him. I feel the same way about his performance. One of the best, a true television thespian.
Old November 13 2012, 06:38 PM   #39
E-DUB
Captain

Steve Ihnat as Garth brought the crazy pretty good too.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote