Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Wort Season?
TOS-1 1 2.08%
TOS-2 2 4.17%
TOS-3 1 2.08%
TNG-1 14 29.17%
TNG-2 0 0%
TNG-3 0 0%
TNG-4 0 0%
TNG-5 0 0%
TNG-6 0 0%
TNG-7 1 2.08%
DS9-1 1 2.08%
DS9-2 0 0%
DS9-3 0 0%
DS9-4 0 0%
DS9-5 0 0%
DS9-6 0 0%
DS9-7 3 6.25%
VOY-1 1 2.08%
VOY-2 2 4.17%
VOY-3 1 2.08%
VOY-4 0 0%
VOY-5 0 0%
VOY-6 0 0%
VOY-7 3 6.25%
ENT-1 8 16.67%
ENT-2 8 16.67%
ENT-3 2 4.17%
ENT-4 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 13 2012, 01:22 AM   #31
Coal the Elf
Commodore

View Coal the Elf's Twitter Profile
Re: Worst Season?

DS9. Never got into the show. Tried watching it once, and it felt like too much of a soap opera.
Old November 13 2012, 01:55 AM   #32
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

R. Star wrote: View Post
Gary7 wrote: View Post
TNG stands as one of my favorite Star Trek series, but I still cannot, no matter how many S1 appreciation threads I've read, change my mind about it. It sucked on so many levels, with Stewart so painfully stiff and Sirtis so collegiate.

Kira Nerys wrote: View Post
To be honest all of TOS.
No offense, but I'd switch "honest" with "ignorant". You simply don't know what you're missing.
Calling someone ignorant because they have the audacity to have a different opinion from yours is just childish at best. No offense.
Does seem kinda silly someone with that user name would bang on TOS, considering DS9 was closest in tone out of the spin-offs and dropped TOS references all the time.
Old November 13 2012, 10:24 AM   #33
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

I don't recall a bunch of TOS references, but the tones could be considered comparable. There's nothing wrong with loving DS9 and not really being into TOS. It's very understandable.

I personally don't consider myself a TOS fan, but my mother likes it and the TOS movies. That's where and why I've experienced some of it, but DS9 was more for me, and so that's my favorite. I don't think it makes me "ignorant" to have that preference, and it surely doesn't mean that DS9 is a soap opera just because it manages to deal with real feelings and how certain events and choices can impact people emotionally. That's just reality. Preferences aren't ignorant, just preferences, and usernames have nothing to do with that. Look at mine. My love for Spock/Uhura comes from the reboot movie, not The Original Series.

Even though I think there was an attraction and perhaps some sort of latent desire on both of their parts in TOS-verse, I do not think they were "meant to be" there because of life events and personal choices that precluded anything from happening. That said, new timeline and different events means different choices, and so I love what's happened in the new timeline and I absolutely think the new versions of the characters are "meant to be."

I would like to know what Stan Smith has against DS9, though.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 01:59 PM   #34
BillJ
Admiral

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post

TNG is my second favorite Trek show behind TOS, but it didn't mean I needed to go and rag on Voyager or Enterprise or Deep Space Nine. I picked TNG season seven (because it was simply terrible) even though I like TNG on a whole better than some other series. To just say TOS on the whole with no reasoning behind it just comes off as trolling.

As for Stan Smith, we may never know what he has against DS9. I found the quote funny and its one of the few times I've seen it mentioned in pop culture.
Old November 13 2012, 02:05 PM   #35
The Wormhole
Admiral

DS9 features terrorists and doesn't paint them all as villains. I imagine this likely infuriates Stan Smith which is why he can't stand DS9.

Actually, the irony is is that when he made that comment, it's about surrogate births. "I've never heard of this and I've seen every episode of Star Trek. Wait, is this Deep Space Nine?..." DS9 of course, is the only Trek series to feature a surrogate birth, so whoever wrote the episode clearly doesn't hate DS9 and is very familiar with it.
Old November 13 2012, 02:09 PM   #36
BillJ
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
DS9 features terrorists and doesn't paint them all as villains. I imagine this likely infuriates Stan Smith which is why he can't stand DS9.

Actually, the irony is is that when he made that comment, it's about surrogate births. "I've never heard of this and I've seen every episode of Star Trek. Wait, is this Deep Space Nine?..." DS9 of course, is the only Trek series to feature a surrogate birth, so whoever wrote the episode clearly doesn't hate DS9 and is very familiar with it.
Well we also know that American Dad! co-creator and executive producer Seth McFarlane is a huge Trek fan.
Old November 13 2012, 09:13 PM   #37
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post

TNG is my second favorite Trek show behind TOS, but it didn't mean I needed to go and rag on Voyager or Enterprise or Deep Space Nine. I picked TNG season seven (because it was simply terrible) even though I like TNG on a whole better than some other series. To just say TOS on the whole with no reasoning behind it just comes off as trolling.

As for Stan Smith, we may never know what he has against DS9. I found the quote funny and its one of the few times I've seen it mentioned in pop culture.
As does calling DS9 a "soap opera" without seeing all of it or saying why the person thinks it's a soap, but people should be able to say what they think. Who's ragging on all of the other series they don't like or that aren't favorites here?

And based off of what you've said, I think Stan Smith has a lot in common with the few people I've come in contact with that call DS9 a soap or say that it's unwatchable. I never can get a detailed reason as to why.

The Wormhole wrote: View Post

Thank you. Surrogate births must have seemed unnatural to him, but it is sci-fi. One thing that DS9 does well it to show that terms such as "villain" and "terrorist" are relative. I could see how that could be infuriating to someone that believes that they can only describe the one or few groups he's defined as such.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Old November 13 2012, 09:30 PM   #38
BillJ
Admiral

Spock/Uhura Fan;7251199[/i wrote:
As does calling DS9 a "soap opera" without seeing all of it or saying why the person thinks it's a soap...
But by calling it a "soap" (which I disagree with, but that isn't relevant), there is actually something definable to debate. As far as seeing all of it, I didn't need to see all of Voyager or Enterprise to tell that it wasn't going to scratch my Trek itch in a satisfying manner.
Old November 13 2012, 11:54 PM   #39
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Spock/Uhura Fan;7251199[/i wrote:
As does calling DS9 a "soap opera" without seeing all of it or saying why the person thinks it's a soap...
But by calling it a "soap" (which I disagree with, but that isn't relevant), there is actually something definable to debate. As far as seeing all of it, I didn't need to see all of Voyager or Enterprise to tell that it wasn't going to scratch my Trek itch in a satisfying manner.
Here, we are talking about two different things. One is like, which doesn't require watching all of the series (a person can tell from a few episodes if they like what they see or not or if they think they might like it more if they keep watching), and the other is a classification that would require seeing at the very least a significant portion of the series. I'm just not sure that this requirement was met is all, for what it's worth.

Old November 14 2012, 12:01 AM   #40
lurok
Commodore

I wish BillJ would see more of VOY and ENT (heavens forbid). Would make forums more interesting though
Old November 14 2012, 12:13 AM   #41
BillJ
Admiral

lurok wrote: View Post
I wish BillJ would see more of VOY and ENT (heavens forbid). Would make forums more interesting though
Seen it all. Own all four seasons of Enterprise and five seasons of Voyager on DVD. Just saying that I knew very early on that they weren't going to be the quality of TOS and TNG.

Even in the shows that weren't my favorites, I could usually find elements and episodes that were likable. Which is why I take offense when someone writes off any series outright.

I've seen everything from The Cage to These are the Voyages. Not sure if I should be proud or sad.
Old November 14 2012, 02:57 AM   #42
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

Seen it all. Own all four seasons of Enterprise and five seasons of Voyager on DVD.
Bill, will you be picking up the ENT Blu-ray's next year? Or is that a Trek too far?!
Old November 14 2012, 03:06 AM   #43
Dream
Admiral

five seasons of Voyager on DVD
Five seasons? Let me guess... those are the Seven of Nine years right?

I own S3 of VOY which I bought new for $10, and I feel like I paid too much for it.

I also own the TNG complete series and DS9 S3-S7. Not a fan of VOY or ENT.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 03:30 AM   #44
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

lurok wrote: View Post
He doesn't have to see more, although it sounds like he's seen them both. Nothing is wrong with having a preference, but something is wrong with calling someone "ignorant" for having a preference or condoning that. These forums, and this thread, are interesting as is, though.

Just saying that I knew very early on that they weren't going to be the quality of TOS and TNG.
I knew very early on that I probably wasn't going to like ENT as much as DS9 and the later seasons of TNG, but my impression of the series as a whole remains the same after seeing most of it. It's okay. There are some technical issues, arc cohesiveness, and captaining decisions that aren't the best, but other than that, it's okay. I think maybe that's how "like" works, because I've had that experience as well, being able to tell how much I'd like a series early on, and that continuing to be the case down the line.

I will say that both ENT and Voyager, and also DS9 and TOS to be honest, had a better beginning than TNG, though.

BillJ wrote:
Even in the shows that weren't my favorites, I could usually find elements and episodes that were likable. Which is why I take offense when someone writes off any series outright.
A good point, and I also take offense when a series is misclassified by someone that "tried it once" and felt that it wasn't for them or when someone calls another person "ignorant" because of their preferences.

Let's just say that the person that called every season of TOS the worst had said the same thing about DS9, which is my favorite and of course I see it as having the best quality in storytelling. I wouldn't call someone names over that or think they are "silly" for having that opinion. I would disagree of course, or even ask them why they think that, as someone else here did, but I wouldn't insult their intelligence or maturity just because they don't like the same thing I like in the same ways that I like it. There's something wrong with that, imo.

My problem with the person that called DS9 a "soap opera" wasn't the fact that he (I'm assuming it's he) wasn't interested in the series after trying it once, but the fact that it was called something it is not in the process. You said that "soap opera" is something definable to debate, but so is "worst season." I do agree with you that there is something to like about each series, though, but I can usually find at least one thing I like about most everything.

Old November 14 2012, 03:44 AM   #45
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

TNG season 1
Ugh.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote