RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,819
Currently online: 451
Newest member: Werner Bitterli

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

View Poll Results: When do people start listening to Christmas music?
Christmas Eve 6 10.53%
Thanksgiving weekend 22 38.60%
Sometime in November 12 21.05%
I listen to Christmas music all year round 6 10.53%
I don't listen to Christmas music 11 19.30%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 13 2012, 01:33 AM   #31
Random_Spock
Fleet Captain

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile
Re: Listening to Christmas Music

scotpens wrote: View Post
I don't actively listen to Christmas music, but I can't help hearing Christmas music since it's all over the radio from the day after Thanksgiving (sometimes earlier) until December 24.
Same. It's bombardment by the stuff on the radio (not so much now, only a station or two do the all Christmas music all the time thing) and in stores.

*Here's to hoping I don't have to hear Paul Mccartney's 'It's a Wonderful Christmastime' this year. I HATE that song with a passion ...*
Old November 13 2012, 01:33 AM   #32
Count Zero
Decidedly something

I started today. Whenever my Mum an I bake our gingerbread cookies and nativity scene figures for Advent and Christmas we listen to either "The Messiah" by Händel or Bach's Christmas Oratorio, occasionally singing along. Usually, this starts later, though.
Old November 13 2012, 01:36 AM   #33
JayOwl
Vice Admiral

View JayOwl's Twitter Profile

I've just started listening to it again, usually I slowly begin listening to more as November goes on until I'm playing it every day by December. I don't usually go for tradional Christmas music (although I don't mind hearing it- it reminds me of my childhood), and I only play a bit of Slade etc, I like finding the odd Christmas song by various bands, they can be surprisingly good.
JayOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 02:01 AM   #34
Maestro
Vice Admiral

Well, the bands usually start working on holiday concert music 'round the end of high school football season. I've been rehearsing Christmas music for around a month now. As for listening to it recreationally, I usually start that around Thanksgiving, although I'm certainly listening to it professionally long before.

The day comes that I don't get excited by A Christmas Festival from October through December, it's time to hang up my boots and baton.
Old November 13 2012, 07:54 AM   #35
MHT1138
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
They can confine it Christmas week for all I care. Don't get me wrong nothing against it per se, but working in retail. Come Christmas you are fed up of listening to Christmas music.

As for poll options, shouldn't there be a sometime December in there? Rather than two options for November (Some time in November and Thanksgiving weekend as last I checked that's sometime in November)
I am lucky that in my retail place of employment, the Christmas songs are interspersed with the regular songs so the customers, and more importantly, the employees don't get sick of Christmas music.

I was actually originally going to put the December option in the poll, but then I realized after I started filling out the options that I should have a choice for people who don't listen to Christmas music. Is there a way to edit the number poll options after one starts to make the poll?
Old November 13 2012, 08:31 AM   #36
NCC-1701-B
Fleet Captain

I love christmas music, it's really fun, mostly. I start in november sometime, late november though.

This song is amazing, funny how one of the best christmas songs is about how a kid's belief in father christmas is totally destroyed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXCEdrnaFlY

Hellooo...
NCC-1701-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 07:37 PM   #37
bbailey861
Admiral

We started yesterday. We love it.
bbailey861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 08:01 PM   #38
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Count Zero wrote: View Post
I started today. Whenever my Mum an I bake our gingerbread cookies and nativity scene figures for Advent and Christmas we listen to either "The Messiah" by Händel or Bach's Christmas Oratorio, occasionally singing along. Usually, this starts later, though.
My dad's church does the Hallelujah Chorus during their Easter service. I totally love it. I wish my church did that. (The reason my dad and I go to different churches is that I like the more contemporary worship style, and he doesn't. We're both Lutherans though. )

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 08:05 PM   #39
MacLeod
Admiral

MHT1138 wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
They can confine it Christmas week for all I care. Don't get me wrong nothing against it per se, but working in retail. Come Christmas you are fed up of listening to Christmas music.

As for poll options, shouldn't there be a sometime December in there? Rather than two options for November (Some time in November and Thanksgiving weekend as last I checked that's sometime in November)
I am lucky that in my retail place of employment, the Christmas songs are interspersed with the regular songs so the customers, and more importantly, the employees don't get sick of Christmas music.

I was actually originally going to put the December option in the poll, but then I realized after I started filling out the options that I should have a choice for people who don't listen to Christmas music. Is there a way to edit the number poll options after one starts to make the poll?
sure they interspace them with other songs, but do enough hours in a day/week and you can soon tire of them.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 08:33 PM   #40
B.J.
Rear Admiral

My family starts listening just after Thanksgiving, when one of the local radio stations starts playing it 24/7.

But my wife and I have been planning our now-annual outing to go see Trans-Siberian Orchestra for several months now. I got tickets several years ago as a Christmas present to her, really not knowing what to expect outside of the music we've heard on the radio. We were both completely blown away by that concert! The sounds, lights, pyrotechnics, moving stages, video screens, etc. were far and away much more impressive than anything we had ever seen before, even better by far than the Pink Floyd concert we went to in 1994.
Old November 13 2012, 10:38 PM   #41
Candlelight
Admiral

December 1.
Old November 13 2012, 11:03 PM   #42
MacLeod
Admiral

So what are peoples favourite Christmas Songs?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old November 13 2012, 11:41 PM   #43
Candlelight
Admiral

All Alone on Christmas
Do They Know It's Christmas
Fairytale of New York
Snoopy's Christmas
Walking in a Winter Wonderland

And for the funny bone:
12 Days of Christmas (by Frank Kelly)
Christmas at Ground Zero
The Night Santa Went Crazy
Old November 14 2012, 12:52 AM   #44
MacLeod
Admiral

Shall I take a guess at what will be the most played Christmas songs in the UK this year in no particular order

Fairytale of New York
Last Christmas
All I Want for Christmas
Old November 14 2012, 02:40 AM   #45
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

My Favorites

White Wine in the Sun -Tim Minchin
Do They Know It's Christmas-Band Aid
Charlie Brown Christmas
I Believe in Father Christmas--Greg Lake
Walking in a Winter Wonderland (Eurythmics version)
White Christmas - Bing Crosby
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas--James Taylor
I'll Be Home for Christmas--various
It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas--Bing Crosby
Christmas Eve/ Sarajevo, Wizards in Winter, Christmas Cannon --Trans-Siberian Orchestra

just to name a few.