RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,819
Currently online: 443
Newest member: Werner Bitterli

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 13 2012, 05:22 AM   #61
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: One Recommendation

Grey wrote: View Post
Gryffindorian wrote: View Post
Try Fenton's Creamery if you happen to be around SF Bay Area/California. Order the crab melt and try one of their store-made ice cream flavors. They'll even give you a tour if you make arrangements in advance. Truly superb.
Where is that, exactly?
Right about here, looks like.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 05:39 AM   #62
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

Wear sunscreen.

Or serious answer: the most successful man I ever knew said, "I don't take advice." He'd listen. He might even agree, but whatever he did, it was his decision. I wish I could be so decisive.
Old November 13 2012, 05:44 AM   #63
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Stretch out of your comfort zone. It's scary as hell, but so worth it.

Since I play the Romulan, I'm cheating by adding one more:

Forgive, even when the person who wronged you is not sorry. If not, anger and resentment fester and hurt you.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 05:58 AM   #64
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Stretch out of your comfort zone. It's scary as hell, but so worth it.
As someone who moved out to the East Coast after spending the prior 28 years in the Midwest, and did so completely alone and sight-unseen, yet I'm happier now than I have been in years ... yes. Actively find and engage your discomfort zone.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 06:40 AM   #65
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Grey wrote: View Post
Try Fenton's Creamery if you happen to be around SF Bay Area/California. Order the crab melt and try one of their store-made ice cream flavors. They'll even give you a tour if you make arrangements in advance. Truly superb.
Where is that, exactly?
Right about here, looks like.
Yes. It's on Piedmont Avenue in Oakland in the East Bay. It's a midsized building with limited parking, so it's better to get there early. If you've seen Disney-Pixar's Up, the restaurant is briefly shown in it. According to our tour guide, some Pixar employees love having lunch there, so they paid an homage to the restaurant. They even gave an original signed still picture of the film to the management.
Old November 13 2012, 06:47 AM   #66
Kestra
Vice Admiral

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
Since I play the Romulan, I'm cheating by adding one more:

Forgive, even when the person who wronged you is not sorry. If not, anger and resentment fester and hurt you.
Oh okay, I forgive you.
Old November 13 2012, 07:22 AM   #67
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Listen more. Talk less. The few words that do come out of your mouth should be meaningful, truthful, and serve a real purpose. When you shut your mouth and open your ears you'll be surprised at how much you can learn (not to mention all the juicy gossip you'll become privy to).

My recommendation (for today):

Fenton's is awesome! I have fond memories of my 5th birthday party at Fenton's. I had the flu but refused to admit it and so ate a whole bunch of yummy ice cream and then promptly threw it up. So worth it! I'm no longer in the Bay Area, but luckily there is also a Fenton's in Vacaville, which is closer to me.

ManOnTheWave wrote: View Post
Wear sunscreen.
Oh good, I'm not the only one who thought of this.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 07:28 AM   #68
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

When you get to the fork in the road, take it.

(That's not my recommendation. It's Yogi Berra's. Phhhbbbbt. )
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 07:29 AM   #69
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Last night when I was commuting home on my bicycle a car overtook me in a very stupid, unneccessary maneuver (since I was going pretty much the speed of traffic anyway) and when I reeled the car in a block or so later I decided to to give him an ironic "thumbs up" sign to show him what an idiot he is. Unfortunately at exactly the same time he had to break hard because of the car in front of him and I bumped into the car's back pretty hard.

I'm fine and my bike's too. But my recommendation is: don't do that. Someone cuts you off - let it go. Won't get you home any faster to "teach" the offender a lesson or whatever.
Old November 13 2012, 07:49 AM   #70
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

Eat dessert first.
Old November 13 2012, 02:06 PM   #71
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

I've got one from my Grandfather (Got several but I'll go with just one):

Keep learning -- Whether you're do it in a school, or just reading books, or even just finding someone that'll teach you something new, just learn constantly. Doesn't matter if you'll never use the knowledge or skill, just keep learning whenever, whatever you can.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 02:44 PM   #72
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
I've got one from my Grandfather (Got several but I'll go with just one):

Keep learning -- Whether you're do it in a school, or just reading books, or even just finding someone that'll teach you something new, just learn constantly. Doesn't matter if you'll never use the knowledge or skill, just keep learning whenever, whatever you can.
That's a good one. Learning is soothing, and keeps the mind distracted from itself. And reassures you that you have knowledge to pass on to others.
Old November 13 2012, 03:22 PM   #73
rahullak
Fleet Captain

Go AWOL once in a while.
rahullak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 03:31 PM   #74
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

A friend's father once told me this parable:

A cat was walking down a railroad track. A train came along, and cut off a bit of the cat's tail. The cat turned around to pick up the lopped-off bit, and the train cut off the cat's head. The moral of the story (and my recommendation) is:

Don't lose your head over a piece of tail.
Old November 13 2012, 07:00 PM   #75
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Timby wrote: View Post
As someone who moved out to the East Coast after spending the prior 28 years in the Midwest, and did so completely alone and sight-unseen, yet I'm happier now than I have been in years ... yes. Actively find and engage your discomfort zone.
Glad it's working out, although I suspect there was a cost to it all which you had to pay.

But Baltimore? Yuck.

I need a graphic of a smug Romulan.

At any rate, this is a fine thread. Between this and Revdkathy's blast from the past, I can enjoy Misc again.

Sure beats the "Wahhhh....some girl doesn't like me"-type threads.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote