RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,721
Posts: 5,214,797
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 745
Newest member: dmhp32


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 7 2012, 04:00 PM   #106
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Arlington, VA
Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Too bad it's not like that in the States.
Keep in mind that there's a 10% service charge regardless of quality of service, if you think that's preferable.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 01:23 AM   #107
Yoda
Rear Admiral
 
Yoda's Avatar
 
Location: San Diego
Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

I can't remember the last time I tipped 10 percent or less... so I say bring it.
__________________
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 11:17 AM   #108
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

Service charge in the UK is fairly often only applied to large groups. So if was only a few people eating it wouldn't be included.

If the service is poor you could ask for it to be removed.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 06:45 PM   #109
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral
 
SmoothieX's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts
Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

I hate that. Nothing like the imposed gratuity of 18% for a party larger than 6.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 09:58 PM   #110
Scout101
Admiral
 
Scout101's Avatar
 
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

Usually doesn't work out in their favor when they do that for me. If they say tip is included, here's the amount; I pay that amount. If there's no tip included, they'd normally get the 20%, maybe slightly more if they went nuts or we're splitting it and paying cash, whatever. When the 18% is already on there, I either sign it, or just round up to nearest dollar or round number...
__________________
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 03:07 PM   #111
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Service charge in the UK is fairly often only applied to large groups. So if was only a few people eating it wouldn't be included.

If the service is poor you could ask for it to be removed.
Some places try it on by then adding a tip - which is calculated by including the service charge!
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 06:56 PM   #112
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

Never come across that myself, and for a couple of years I was eating out more or less 5 nights a week. (When I was working away from home)
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 12:30 AM   #113
SonOfMogh
Commander
 
SonOfMogh's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

I'm in the UK, and I find this tipping thing very strange....... It seems to be creeping in there in certain restaurants, and some people I know tip, others do not.

Why the HELL do the employers not increase all prices by 10% or whatever and give all staff a payrise? I can't get my head around being given a price on a menu and then discovering the person who brought the food from the kitchen is not getting paid enough to carry out even that basic function- surely the employer has it wrong.

I'd prefer the option to go to the kitchen and collect my own food and then wash up, if the waiter/waitress service is mandatory then employers need to pay their staff more and include this cost in their pricing structure.
SonOfMogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 03:19 AM   #114
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

SonOfMogh wrote: View Post
I'm in the UK, and I find this tipping thing very strange....... It seems to be creeping in there in certain restaurants, and some people I know tip, others do not.

Why the HELL do the employers not increase all prices by 10% or whatever and give all staff a payrise? I can't get my head around being given a price on a menu and then discovering the person who brought the food from the kitchen is not getting paid enough to carry out even that basic function- surely the employer has it wrong.

I'd prefer the option to go to the kitchen and collect my own food and then wash up, if the waiter/waitress service is mandatory then employers need to pay their staff more and include this cost in their pricing structure.
Honestly, if servers were paid a "real wage," they'd probably make less money than with the current system of tipping in the US.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 03:26 AM   #115
Maestro
Vice Admiral
 
Maestro's Avatar
 
Location: Maestro
Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

Gosh, it's nice to be back living in Northern Wisconsin... I walked into this thread and thought it was about tipping over cows.
__________________
"When Christians use Jesus for hate-mongering, they ruin Jesus for the rest of us." -Me.
Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 03:32 AM   #116
iguana_tonante
Admiral
 
iguana_tonante's Avatar
 
Location: Italy, EU
Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Honestly, if servers were paid a "real wage," they'd probably make less money than with the current system of tipping in the US.
I want a tip every time I solve an equation. Double if it's a partial differential equation.

I would surely make more money than I currently do with my research fellowship.
__________________
Scientist. Gentleman. Teacher. Fighter. Lover. Father.
iguana_tonante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 08:38 PM   #117
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Right behind you!
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
SonOfMogh wrote: View Post
I'm in the UK, and I find this tipping thing very strange....... It seems to be creeping in there in certain restaurants, and some people I know tip, others do not.

Why the HELL do the employers not increase all prices by 10% or whatever and give all staff a payrise? I can't get my head around being given a price on a menu and then discovering the person who brought the food from the kitchen is not getting paid enough to carry out even that basic function- surely the employer has it wrong.

I'd prefer the option to go to the kitchen and collect my own food and then wash up, if the waiter/waitress service is mandatory then employers need to pay their staff more and include this cost in their pricing structure.
Honestly, if servers were paid a "real wage," they'd probably make less money than with the current system of tipping in the US.
Then maybe the people griping about poor tips should knock it off, lest they get their wish.
__________________
"Holy shit! It's Beef Supreme!"
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 06:48 PM   #118
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Right behind you!
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

This story reminded me of this thread, so I hope no one minds a bit of necromancy.

Earlier this week, we posted a story about a restaurant customer who not only chose to deny the waitress a tip, but also wrote “I Give God 10% Why do you Get 18?” on the receipt. Now we’ve learned that the server who posted the receipt online has been fired.

“I originally posted the note as a lighthearted joke,” says Chelsea, who was dismissed from her job at Applebee’s on Wednesday, as the story began to spread across the Internet. “I thought the note was insulting, but it was also comical. I posted it to Reddit because I thought other users would find it entertaining.”

Chelsea tells Consumerist that the receipt was actually not even for her table. Rather, the server on the receiving end of the note showed it to Chelsea, who snapped a photo of it later that night.

As posted originally on Reddit’s Atheist page, the image contained the customer’s full signature. Chelsea says she didn’t think to edit that out because she had assumed the name was illegible.

But the Internet is a remarkably curious place, so sleuths began trying to identify the self-described “pastor” on the receipt.
__________________
"Holy shit! It's Beef Supreme!"
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 06:54 PM   #119
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

Yeah, that story was awful. Not only did this pastor get their congregation to stir up shit for that Applebee's, but the waitress in question was fired. Fucking ridiculous.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2013, 07:02 PM   #120
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef
 
Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Right behind you!
View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: We haven't had a conversation about tipping in awhile

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Yeah, that story was awful. Not only did this pastor get their congregation to stir up shit for that Applebee's, but the waitress in question was fired. Fucking ridiculous.
Yeah, my response to a message like that would be, "Because I have bills to pay and God doesn't, you sanctimonious shitbag." I mean, if I'm gonna get fired anyway...
__________________
"Holy shit! It's Beef Supreme!"
The Journeyman - Buy it now! Maybe?
My world simulation project!
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
restaurants, tipping, waiters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.