Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 12 2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Kestra
Vice Admiral

One Recommendation

So people love to give advice even if they have no qualifications to do so. Even if it's not serious life advice, we're full of recommendations for other people. I was just in TNZ telling people they should try yoga. And how many of us have a friend who has become a superfan of some band and tries to get us to listen to just one song? How many of us have been that friend?

So this is your chance to make one recommendation to the people of Miscellaneous. I want to say that it can be about anything but please don't make it anything disgusting. It can be advice about love, parenting, getting a job, etc. It can be the one song that everyone should hear, the one book everyone should read, or the one food everyone should try. Or something much more interesting. I'd really like to get a large variety here so feel free to be creative!

But you are limited to one recommendation. If enough people post, I might open it up later for people to make a second recommendation, but for right now let's just get a lot of people posting.

I'll start it off by saying that I think everyone should try yoga once in their lives. You don't have to be spiritual, you don't have to pay a ton of money and go to some studio. You can try it at home even if you're not super fit or super flexible. Actually, I'd recommend it especially if you are not super fit or super flexible. There are a lot of resources online for beginner's yoga as well as the wide variety of health benefits.

So what do you recommend?
Old November 12 2012, 10:05 PM   #2
sojourner
Admiral

Re: One Recommendation

Travel. Every chance you get. It's the best cure for ignorance and fear.
Old November 12 2012, 10:06 PM   #3
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Use your goddamn turn signal.
Old November 12 2012, 10:07 PM   #4
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

If you don't love yourself, no one else will. Fake it 'til you make it. Belief in yourself is the most powerful tool for success you'll ever have, and ultimately it's a gift only you can give.

Plus, potential mates tend to find confidence sexy.
Old November 12 2012, 10:08 PM   #5
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Serious answer:

This is from Shatner's Rules, but it absolutely applied to me when I read the book last Christmas:

Say yes.

Think of all the things you have missed out on or avoided or didn't get to experience because you said "no." Think of all the adventures and good times and wonderful experiences you could have had, and will have all because you said "Yes."

Don't short-change yourself on the experience of life. SAY YES!
Old November 12 2012, 10:08 PM   #6
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
If you don't love yourself, no one else will. Fake it 'til you make it. Belief in yourself is the most powerful tool for success you'll ever have, and ultimately it's a gift only you can give.

PREACH IT!

It's like Dewey Cox sang:

And then in the end
It’s family and friends
Loving yourself
But not only yourself
It’s about the good walk
And the hard walk
And the young girls you’ve made cry
It’s about make a little music everyday ‘til you di-ie
It's a beautiful ride...
Old November 12 2012, 10:13 PM   #7
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Don't talk about people behind their back.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 10:14 PM   #8
Kestra
Vice Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Serious answer:

This is from Shatner's Rules, but it absolutely applied to me when I read the book last Christmas:

Say yes.

Think of all the things you have missed out on or avoided or didn't get to experience because you said "no." Think of all the adventures and good times and wonderful experiences you could have had, and will have all because you said "Yes."

Don't short-change yourself on the experience of life. SAY YES!
I've been trying to say yes to more opportunities because I tend to play it safe and it's time to try something different. I've had some great new food!

Also your first response was also acceptable. Like I said, it doesn't all have to be some epic advice. Use your turn signal is a very good recommendation!
Old November 12 2012, 10:15 PM   #9
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Every once in a while, it's good to go ATM...

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 10:16 PM   #10
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

This reminds me for some reason of one of my favorite bits of graffiti on the Williamsburg Bridge -- tangentially, I LOVE the graffiti on that bridge; there is great art mixed in with the plain old tags, and some meaningless but beautiful phrases...my favorite is "DOOM TUBA." Anyway, someone painted "Love is always the appropriate reaction." And as cynical as I am, or try to be, I can't help but be touched by that statement.

My advice is: No matter what you are confronted with, try to find something to laugh about first -- before any other response, reasoned or emotional, seek out the humor. You don't have to let other people know that you are doing it, but do it for yourself. It's gotten me through everything.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 10:17 PM   #11
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

Engage in occasional random acts of kindness.
Old November 12 2012, 10:22 PM   #12
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Sleep more.
JoeZhang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 10:25 PM   #13
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

thestrangequark wrote: View Post

My advice is: No matter what you are confronted with, try to find something to laugh about first -- before any other response, reasoned or emotional, seek out the humor. You don't have to let other people know that you are doing it, but do it for yourself. It's gotten me through everything.
I think this is why I like Larry David, and by extension, Curb Your Enthusiasm, so much. There's a guy who no matter how angry he gets, he just starts laughing the whole way. It's a riot to watch, but I imagine it's an even better way to deal with anger and frustration than just raging.
Old November 12 2012, 10:25 PM   #14
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Say yes.

Saying no to an experience is simply another way of saying yes to a different experience. But I do get what you're saying. I'm definitely the cautious type and I should try more things without putting everything through an extensive audit first.

As for my advice, chill. Just slow down and relax ...

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 10:26 PM   #15
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Hug people more often.