Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 12 2012, 08:56 AM   #16
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Re: "AGE OF THE HOBBITS": Asylum finally sued for making ripoff movies

This might not belong in this thread, but I can't believe how unexcited I am for the Hobbit. I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I remember months before it's release, there's just be still photos released, like photos of Gandalf in his pointy hat. Yet it looked great because for the first time, despite being a fantasy, the filmed looked and felt authentic. I'm sure Jackson will make this new film series look the same, but the excitement is no longer there. He isn't challenging himself anymore, and what we will see when it opens is nothing new at all. We all know the story, we all know how it will look, and all know that Smaug will appear merely as another CGI creation. It can only disappoint. This new trilogy is simply the a vanity project for Jackson who has been doing vanity projects for the past eight years
Old November 12 2012, 09:03 AM   #17
NCC-1701-B
Fleet Captain

hmm, I watched the trailer for that asylum thing and I would be hard pressed to actually make any definitive connection other than the name. To be honest I believe they've only done themselves a disservice by releasing so close to the big budget film.

But to be honest the "owner" of the word Hobbit can go fuck themselves. The word was in use before Tolkien, and was also a unit of weight. The whole fact that a pub had to buy a license to use a name it had been using for more than 20 years is disgusting, the only motivation there is to get more money. Obviously when the hobbit is in the cinemas, I won't go and watch the film in the cinema, noo, I'll go to that pub instead. Absolutely ridiculous.

Hellooo...
NCC-1701-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 10:27 AM   #18
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

throwback wrote: View Post
A New Zealand professor has been banned by Saul Zaentz Company/Middle-earth Enterprises from using the word 'hobbit' in his lecture on Homo florensiensis.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012...istoric-hobbit
lolwut?

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
This might not belong in this thread, but I can't believe how unexcited I am for the Hobbit. I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy. This new trilogy is simply the a vanity project for Jackson who has been doing vanity projects for the past eight years
I would never - never I say! - have expected to read such a comment from you after the last several months. Truly, I am thunderstruck.
Old November 12 2012, 12:27 PM   #19
MacLeod
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
The major studios say Asylum intends to release its low-budget movie just three days before filmmaker Peter Jackson's first "Hobbit" movie opens in the United States, on Dec. 14.
The Asylum hopes to profit from "consumer confusion," get a "free ride on the worldwide advertising campaign" and "divert customers and potential customers away" from the major studios' film, according to the complaint.
"The Asylum's advertising for its low-budget knockoff also has been and is confusingly similar to advertising for and images from the plaintiffs' copyrighted films and trademarked products, including the font and style in which the titles appear and the overall look and feel of the images depicted in the artwork and packaging," the 35-page complaint states.
http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/11/09/52146.htm

YES! It has finally happened. I hope this means Asylum will finally stop making those crap ripoff movies.
Yes as a consumer, I'm really confused with a major cinema release and a direct to DVD movie. Not.

I wonder how many more people will be interested in taking a look at the Asylum movie now that a fuss is being made over it.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 02:33 PM   #20
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

This might not belong in this thread
Well, yeah. We have a whole thread devoted to The Hobbit, which you have posted in.
Old November 12 2012, 04:25 PM   #21
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
This might not belong in this thread
Well, yeah. We have a whole thread devoted to The Hobbit, which you have posted in.
Posted that very same thing in, as a matter of fact (Well...maybe the part about Smaug is new, but, yea, the rest FSM has posted a few times in The Hobbit thread)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 04:35 PM   #22
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

I don't know. It seems more to me that New Zealand is desperately trying to cling to the movies' success far, far, FAR more than Warner Brothers is trying to take over a country's government. The latter is just kind of silly since they've been making big movies for decades, whereas New Zealand is a tiny little country that's suddenly getting huge injections of money from its production and tourism due to the movies.

I mean, if the government comes to you asking what they can do to help you make a huge profit and all but throwing themselves at the chance to jump through any hoops you want to hold up, why wouldn't you take advantage of that?
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 04:45 PM   #23
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

NCC-1701-B wrote: View Post
But to be honest the "owner" of the word Hobbit can go fuck themselves. The word was in use before Tolkien, and was also a unit of weight. The whole fact that a pub had to buy a license to use a name it had been using for more than 20 years is disgusting, the only motivation there is to get more money. Obviously when the hobbit is in the cinemas, I won't go and watch the film in the cinema, noo, I'll go to that pub instead. Absolutely ridiculous.
Yeah, I really don't get a lot of stuff like that. But in this case, it's clear that she named her pub after the fictional race and was intentionally trying to connect her pub with Tolkien's works which have been around far, far longer than 20 years.

Yet, oddly enough, if the owners of the Matrix movie franchise wanted to create a roleplaying game based on the movie, they'd have to get permission from the owners of Shadowrun who've had "Matrix" copyrighted (or trademarked; I always get them confused in cases like this) as the name of a computer network in an RPG since the 80s, even though the term is far more identified with the movies now.

Honestly, I think the whole copyright/trademark thing is way too limiting and restrictive, but at the same time I think its important to have if you're any kind of creative sort. Otherwise people could just rip you off however they liked without any repercussions. And I assure you, if you created something worth being ripped off, you'd be pretty pissed to see that happen whether for you or your heirs.

Then again, Tolkien ripped off old world mythology every which way, and the one race he did almost-kinda-but-not-really invented should all but be public domain in my personal opinion.

That said, how long until it does become public domain? Isn't there a time limit on that stuff?
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 05:37 PM   #24
nvek86
Commander

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Then again, Tolkien ripped off old world mythology every which way, and the one race he did almost-kinda-but-not-really invented should all but be public domain in my personal opinion.

That said, how long until it does become public domain? Isn't there a time limit on that stuff?
I think it's death of the author plus 70 years in the UK. Which would mean that Tolkien's work goes into public domain in 2043.
Old November 12 2012, 05:47 PM   #25
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

NCC-1701-B wrote: View Post
Yeah, I really don't get a lot of stuff like that. But in this case, it's clear that she named her pub after the fictional race and was intentionally trying to connect her pub with Tolkien's works which have been around far, far longer than 20 years..

Yet, oddly enough, if the owners of the Matrix movie franchise wanted to create a roleplaying game based on the movie, they'd have to get permission from the owners of Shadowrun who've had "Matrix" copyrighted (or trademarked; I always get them confused in cases like this) as the name of a computer network in an RPG since the 80s, even though the term is far more identified with the movies now.

Honestly, I think the whole copyright/trademark thing is way too limiting and restrictive, but at the same time I think its important to have if you're any kind of creative sort. Otherwise people could just rip you off however they liked without any repercussions. And I assure you, if you created something worth being ripped off, you'd be pretty pissed to see that happen whether for you or your heirs.

Yes, there is a time limit on stuff goig into Public Domain, but, depending upon who owns it, they often "purchase" extensions. Anything owned by Disney will probably never be allowed to reach it's Public Domain date.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 06:31 PM   #26
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, I really don't get a lot of stuff like that. But in this case, it's clear that she named her pub after the fictional race and was intentionally trying to connect her pub with Tolkien's works which have been around far, far longer than 20 years.
This is the important part. It's not about whether it's a real word or not. Sky and Rim are real words, but I can't make a fantasy based video game called "Sky Rim" without getting called on it.
Old January 11 2013, 02:09 AM   #27
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Saw this in the video store today, does this mean Asylum prevailed with the case?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 02:28 AM   #28
Aragorn
Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Saw this in the video store today, does this mean Asylum prevailed with the case?
With Age of the Hobbits as the title? Because it got renamed Clash of the Empires.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 02:55 AM   #29
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ Yeah, maybe they let them keep the title on the original stock and the later ones have the new title?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 03:01 AM   #30
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

We all know the story, we all know how it will look, and all know that Smaug will appear merely as another CGI creation. It can only disappoint.
By this ironclad reasoning the LOTR films can only disappoint.

Oh, wait.