RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,167
Posts: 5,344,796
Members: 24,601
Currently online: 575
Newest member: Capt_n_Admiral

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 45 25.71%
A 48 27.43%
A- 29 16.57%
B+ 14 8.00%
B 8 4.57%
B- 11 6.29%
C+ 4 2.29%
C 4 2.29%
C- 7 4.00%
D+ 2 1.14%
D 1 0.57%
D- 0 0%
F 2 1.14%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 11 2012, 09:50 PM   #106
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral
 
DarthPipes's Avatar
 
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Having not scene any of the old Bond films save for Goldfinger and some of the more recent ones, is this the first Bond film to take place MOSTLY in England and the British Isles?
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2012, 11:22 PM   #107
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I never thought the film slowed down. It had a good balance of action and "talking" sequences.
Yeah, it's way better paced than Casino Royale...
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Oculus review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2012, 11:29 PM   #108
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral
 
CaptJimboJones's Avatar
 
Location: Hotlanta
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Having not scene any of the old Bond films save for Goldfinger and some of the more recent ones, is this the first Bond film to take place MOSTLY in England and the British Isles?
Pretty much. Although interestingly the original novel "Moonraker" takes place entirely in England - the only one of Fleming's novels to do so. (And it's also one of the best Bond novels, IMO.)
__________________
"Do not fear mistakes. There are none." - Miles Davis
CaptJimboJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 12:06 AM   #109
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Judge Death wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
I never thought the film slowed down. It had a good balance of action and "talking" sequences.
Yeah, it's way better paced than Casino Royale...
No, I also thought Casino Royale was well paced.

I'm not one who needs a film to be nonstop action. I probably wouldn't like it if it was.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 12:07 AM   #110
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral
 
DarthPipes's Avatar
 
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

CaptJimboJones wrote: View Post
DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Having not scene any of the old Bond films save for Goldfinger and some of the more recent ones, is this the first Bond film to take place MOSTLY in England and the British Isles?
Pretty much. Although interestingly the original novel "Moonraker" takes place entirely in England - the only one of Fleming's novels to do so. (And it's also one of the best Bond novels, IMO.)
I thought it was jarring (not in a bad way) to see Bond in the British subway system (I believe they call them tubes). Even Q cracks "Like you'd even know."
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 12:49 AM   #111
Ghost Bones
Captain
 
Ghost Bones's Avatar
 
Location: Ghost Blighty
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

It was ok. At least Daniel Craig acted like James Bond for the first time, even if he looks more like a weathered Easter Island statue than ever. A right bit of fanwank when it turned into Home Alone. I don't care about someone M used to know, and I certainly didn't want to see the house James Bond grew up in, complete with old yokel who hasn't moved on. Could have done with being half an hour shorter. And really, if MI6 hadn't been so stupid as to use a magic electronic cell rather than standard lock and key, the whole thing could have been avoided. I liked the bits in whatever oriental city it was, with the neon skyscrapers and the sniper and that. The villain was alright, though I wasn't so keen on Bond's "What makes you think I haven't been given the rough nasty up the brown badge before?" Beyond that it was lots of silly dialogue and spot the reference (stepping up on the CGI monitor lizard like the crocodiles in Live and Let Die was a particular eye-roller). Got some good bits though and worth seeing once. Certainly streets ahead of Question of Sport.
__________________
Try not to talk about me, it's only giving me what I want after all, and I do more than enough laughing already.
Ghost Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 12:58 AM   #112
CaptainCanada
Admiral
 
CaptainCanada's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
I liked the bits in whatever oriental city it was, with the neon skyscrapers and the sniper and that.
Shanghai. And, for future reference, "Oriental" as a term is regarded with disfavour these days, generally.
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 02:59 AM   #113
Ghost Bones
Captain
 
Ghost Bones's Avatar
 
Location: Ghost Blighty
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Alright then, I'll update my personal lexicon.
__________________
Try not to talk about me, it's only giving me what I want after all, and I do more than enough laughing already.
Ghost Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 03:21 AM   #114
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain
 
Mister Fandango's Avatar
 
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
And, for future reference, "Oriental" as a term is regarded with disfavour these days, generally.
No more than the term "westerner" or even "Asian" is. Aside from those looking to find something to be offended by.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 03:49 AM   #115
CaptainCanada
Admiral
 
CaptainCanada's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
No more than the term "westerner" or even "Asian" is. Aside from those looking to find something to be offended by.
No, that's not correct. Even the Oxford English Dictionary notes that it is often considered offensive.
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 04:45 AM   #116
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain
 
Mister Fandango's Avatar
 
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
No, that's not correct. Even the Oxford English Dictionary notes that it is often considered offensive.
...by those looking for something to be offended by. It's rarely ever used offensively and is nowhere even remotely close to words such as nigger or faggot which are.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 06:03 AM   #117
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

It's not as bad as those words, but that doesn't mean it's still not frowned upon.
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 06:10 AM   #118
CaptainCanada
Admiral
 
CaptainCanada's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
...by those looking for something to be offended by. It's rarely ever used offensively and is nowhere even remotely close to words such as nigger or faggot which are.
It doesn't have to be either one of the vilest slurs on record or totally harmless. It is still considered offensive. It's a term that is widely held to have a lot of negative political and historical baggage attached to it, and that's more than sufficient.
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 10:08 AM   #119
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
CaptJimboJones wrote: View Post
DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Having not scene any of the old Bond films save for Goldfinger and some of the more recent ones, is this the first Bond film to take place MOSTLY in England and the British Isles?
Pretty much. Although interestingly the original novel "Moonraker" takes place entirely in England - the only one of Fleming's novels to do so. (And it's also one of the best Bond novels, IMO.)
I thought it was jarring (not in a bad way) to see Bond in the British subway system (I believe they call them tubes). Even Q cracks "Like you'd even know."
Its called the Tube, or the Underground

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Judge Death wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
I never thought the film slowed down. It had a good balance of action and "talking" sequences.
Yeah, it's way better paced than Casino Royale...
No, I also thought Casino Royale was well paced.

I'm not one who needs a film to be nonstop action. I probably wouldn't like it if it was.
Iím not talking about pacing in terms of action, Iíve seen plenty of boring action films and plenty of action free films that kept me gripped.

CR and Skyfall probably have about the same proportion of action to talking, but by the end of Casino Royale I was tiring, getting a little bored, didnít have that problem with Skyfall. CR always feels a little bloated, Skyfall felt quite lean despite its similar running length.
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Oculus review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 11:04 AM   #120
starburst
Fleet Captain
 
starburst's Avatar
 
Re: Skyfall - Grading & Discussion

Casino Royale had a good mix, its just the scenes in the Casino maybe dragged on a little but then thats the whole point of the film.

In Skyfall even what you would consider the bad parts on first thought are actually quite cleaver, like the Sniper taking out the guy in Shanghai, seems a bit off seeming one of the fellas in the room could have killed him! But then that was Silva giving Bond a way to find him its possible the assassins target was just some random bloke they were pretending to sell a painting to and was expendable.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
007, james bond

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.