Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 22 2012, 10:04 PM   #16
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: Trek 09 question..

"He beamed me here so that I could observe his vengeance."

Delta Vega had to be visible to the naked eye.
Old October 23 2012, 04:08 AM   #17
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

John Mason wrote: View Post
Regarding Q1

Would a red matter black hole differ from a naturally occurring one,
if so would the red matter forming it be susceptible to unlimited spacial expansion to allow it to collapse in on itself under it's own gravity? Thus sparing the planets/moons in the vicinity of Vulcan?

Just wondering?
How long would it take for a black hole with the mass of Vulcan to destroy the entire Vulcan system ( or would it?) I don't think its like draining a bathtub. It takes a while.
Old October 23 2012, 06:28 AM   #18
UFO
Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
IIRC, the only time we actually saw the imploding Vulcan being visible from Delta Vega was when Spock was mind melding with Kirk. There's some dramatic license at work there, then. Not meant to be taken literally.
Your conclusion is not supported by your initial statement. The movie wasn't following the actions of anyone on DV when Vulcan was destroyed. For all we know it may have been visible to anyone on DV who looked up at the time.

Zombie Cheerleader wrote: View Post
How long would it take for a black hole with the mass of Vulcan to destroy the entire Vulcan system ( or would it?) I don't think its like draining a bathtub. It takes a while.
I would guess that unless something disrupted its orbit, there is a good chance it would evaporate first.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 08:00 AM   #19
Timo
Admiral

We never heard of the black hole that delivered Nero to the past developing into anything much. Indeed, it seemed to be gone pretty quickly, or else a followup mission by Starfleet would have provided more insight into the phenomenon than our heroes in 2258 possessed.

Doesn't mean that a black hole fed with a diet of an entire planet would behave the exact same way, though.

"He beamed me here so that I could observe his vengeance."
Delta Vega had to be visible to the naked eye.
Heh. The very quote carefully avoids any reference to eyes or other visual means of observation...

For all we know it may have been visible to anyone on DV who looked up at the time.
That's highly unlikely, considering we met two people who had shared (that side of!) the planet with Spock at the time, and neither had any clue anything had happened to Vulcan. It wouldn't be something you'd miss if you blinked: Vulcan would be gone forever. And this would be left in its place:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...ekxihd1659.jpg
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...ekxihd2039.jpg

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 10:01 AM   #20
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I've missed eclipses and meteor showers simply because I didn't know they were going on and didn't look up. And considering Keenser and Scotty were indoors, in a junk-filled lab the whole time, I'd say it's extremely plausible they simply missed it.
Old October 23 2012, 02:48 PM   #21
Timo
Admiral

Indoors, but doing what? Scotty was manning some sort of a workstation, equipped with generic devices dedicated to processing information. What was he doing if not paying attention to the biggest event in local history?

And Vulcan would stay gone. If Scotty was worried about not having chat partners, shouldn't he be particularly worried about losing his daily "Vulcan Space Central testing communications with local station Delta Vega, over", even if it were always delivered with emotionless monotone?

Timo Saloniemi
Old October 23 2012, 03:29 PM   #22
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I'm not sure he was manning anything. Just dozing at a desk piled with junk, surrounded by bits of machines he'd seemingly been disecting. We don't even know what the Delta Vega outpost was for, except that it's automated to the extent that being assigned there is punishment duty. I assume an automated mining station, like the one on it's namesake in "Where No Man Has Gone Before"
Old October 24 2012, 09:43 AM   #23
UFO
Captain

Timo wrote: View Post
Indoors, but doing what? Scotty was manning some sort of a workstation, equipped with generic devices dedicated to processing information. What was he doing if not paying attention to the biggest event in local history?

And yet the first thing on his mind when he meets Kirk and Spock is getting a decent meal! This guy is either very self absorbed or very unobservant. Either way, I no longer find it strange that he could over look the escape pod!
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2012, 10:04 AM   #24
Timo
Admiral

This does raise the question of how knowledge of Vulcan's fate propagated in the Federation. While the process was ongoing, Nero's jamming would prevent the news from getting out. The Enterprise in turn might still be unable to communicate due to the damage suffered (and for that reason couldn't tell Delta Vega about the castaway, either). Would the supposed Vulcan escapees be able to contact the media?

If there was no immediate coverage of the event, we might still consider Scotty reasonably alert and deduce that the skies above Delta Vega did not feature any calamities of note. If there was coverage, then Scotty is far from alert and might have missed Armageddon next door.

Timo Saloniemi
Old November 9 2012, 06:49 PM   #25
shatastrophic
Commander

The only weird item I had about the whole thing was that Sulu's parachute cables were so tough that fire couldn't destroy them thus having him cut them in order to escape the fire but the cables are not strong enough to hold two people. It doesn't make any difference though...I loved every second of it.
Old November 11 2012, 09:39 PM   #26
Timo
Admiral

I wouldn't consider that complex rewind mechanism particularly reliable under fire. Seems that rather than snapping in the middle, the cables failed at that particular point...

Timo Saloniemi