RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,771
Posts: 5,434,243
Members: 24,840
Currently online: 539
Newest member: Reece101

TrekToday headlines

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

German Volkswagen Campaign Features Trek Actors
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Shatner And Nimoy In Trek 3?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

The Art of John Alvin Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 7 2012, 02:46 PM   #31
Redfern
Commodore
 
Redfern's Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, USA
Re: Are regenerations still capped at 12?

I just found it odd that Borusa promised the Master a whole new set of regenerations when he himself was searching for immortality. Well, one could argue that Borusa was searching for a method to immortalize his current incarnation, the one that obviously "fell to the dark side". I mean, when we first met him in "The Deadly Assassin", he was a bleedin' ponce. When we saw him again in "The Invasion of Time", he was a world weary sage. He was actually likable, at least, one felt he deserved respect. But the exchange between Davison's Doctor and his (for far) latest incarnation suggested Borusa wanted that specific body and personality to live forever.

I still feel that Borusa gave the Master a "snow job" about a new cycle of regenerations. If it was that easy, why did the Master need to concoct such an elaborate plan to access the Eye of Harmony when he looked like a deep fried druid? I read that "offer" scene as something like, "Your offer of a new cycle is such a bold faced lie, but I'll play along to discover your true objective. Whatever you're wanting, I suspect I'll want more."

Sincerely,

Bill
__________________
Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 04:01 PM   #32
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Are regenerations still capped at 12?

Judge Death wrote: View Post
I don't mind if they retcon it, I just hope they mention it rather than just sweeping it under the carpet.
Yeah, that's my thought. Mention, make it a real plot point, find a workaround.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 07:46 PM   #33
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain
 
Green Lantern's Avatar
 
Location: The bad of whoever pays for the night.
Re: Are regenerations still capped at 12?

I think they should keep the limit on regeneration, and do an episode where the doctor actualy dies, but then the timelords (who return before then) grant him an extra 13 incarnations like they did with the master in the timewar as their version of a medal of valour. Then that's the problem solved until doctor number 26 decides to leave..............
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 09:15 PM   #34
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Are regenerations still capped at 12?

Black Lantern wrote: View Post
I think they should keep the limit on regeneration, and do an episode where the doctor actualy dies, but then the timelords (who return before then) grant him an extra 13 incarnations like they did with the master in the timewar as their version of a medal of valour. Then that's the problem solved until doctor number 26 decides to leave..............
Problem with that is, that the Doctor wouldn't be in good graces at all with the Time Lords right now, considering he destroyed/time locked them twice

I think the best route to follow is to simply have the atmosphere of believing he will die (Maybe even plant a phony rumor of cancellation to give it credibility and a surprise), and then have him regenerate and be shocked by it, and then explain it. Hiring A new actor for the Doctor, is an impossible secret to keep, but, it would be really, really cool, if they could make us believe it really will be the end, and then have him regenerate and the Showrunner could go "Pysche"
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 09:42 PM   #35
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain
 
Mister Fandango's Avatar
 
Re: Are regenerations still capped at 12?

The universe went through a second Big Bang. Any rules that existed in the previous universe can be ignored as the writer's desire it, no other explanations required.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 11:20 PM   #36
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral
 
Satyrquaze's Avatar
 
Location: Satyrquaze
Re: Are regenerations still capped at 12?

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but this thread brought it back up for me.

Hypothetically, if the Timelords are still restricted to twelve regenerations, did the Doctor use one regeneration up when he inadvertantly created the Meta-Crisis Doctor in "Journey's End"?

Could the Twelfth Doctor actually be the Thirteenth?

Where does the Valeyard fit into this?
__________________
“If at first you don't succeed, cheat, repeat until caught, then lie.” -Anomymous
Satyrquaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 02:40 AM   #37
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Are regenerations still capped at 12?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Problem with that is, that the Doctor wouldn't be in good graces at all with the Time Lords right now, considering he destroyed/time locked them twice
Well, the Time Lords are opportunistic bastards who aren't above anything that has the end result of accomplishing their goals. All one has to do is think up a convoluted reason for how granting the Doctor a new set of regenerations is in the Time Lords' best interests and that takes care of that.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 02:48 AM   #38
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Are regenerations still capped at 12?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Problem with that is, that the Doctor wouldn't be in good graces at all with the Time Lords right now, considering he destroyed/time locked them twice
Well, the Time Lords are opportunistic bastards who aren't above anything that has the end result of accomplishing their goals. All one has to do is think up a convoluted reason for how granting the Doctor a new set of regenerations is in the Time Lords' best interests and that takes care of that.
True, They could give him a new cycle for sacrificing one as the new Matrix Core (Of course, without telling him that's their goal) or some other equally devious machination
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 02:51 AM   #39
Wereghost
Commodore
 
Wereghost's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: Are regenerations still capped at 12?

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Problem with that is, that the Doctor wouldn't be in good graces at all with the Time Lords right now, considering he destroyed/time locked them twice
Well, the Time Lords are opportunistic bastards who aren't above anything that has the end result of accomplishing their goals. All one has to do is think up a convoluted reason for how granting the Doctor a new set of regenerations is in the Time Lords' best interests and that takes care of that.
Or there's been a rebellion and that crazy ******* Rassilon and his cronies have been removed. But rather than making the Doctor their darling, they're now led by a somewhat reformed Master. So, our hero is allowed to continue doing what he does and is sometimes even supported from a distance, but is kind of persona non grata on Gallifrey. Just like old times.
__________________
Time is the boss of me.
Wereghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2012, 04:37 AM   #40
Klaus
Rear Admiral
 
Klaus's Avatar
 
Location: Beach condo, Bay of Eldamar
View Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: Are regenerations still capped at 12?

Well wow, quite a nice response to my question... ty all! I had to skim the newer stuff as I'm not done w/Matt Smith yet, so I can't get into the details of what the technobabble explaining his extra regenerations might be quite yet.

But overall I think that the 12-regeneration limit at least needs to be name-checked and explained away... IIRC the Master was brought back by the Timelords as a soldier in the last Time War, so I'd accept as given that there are ways to extend it but 12 is the basic parameter. I do like the idea of him expecting not to regenerate and being surprised when he does -- and problems with it because of going past the 13-life "limit" could be a good arc for the season.
__________________
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
t-shirts!
deviantArt
Klaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2012, 06:05 AM   #41
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain
 
The Grim Ghost's Avatar
 
Location: Thee Olde Spook Shack
Re: Are regenerations still capped at 12?

They can go either way and it will be fine with me.

Either just ignore it, or do a story around getting beyond that limitation.

I can't imagine them killing the show based on this. It's just too popular.
__________________
Life looks better in black and white.
The Grim Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2012, 06:34 AM   #42
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Are regenerations still capped at 12?

Scaryquaze wrote: View Post
Where does the Valeyard fit into this?
Easy money, the Valeyard will show up when the Rani does... In other words... never again...
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2012, 08:00 PM   #43
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Are regenerations still capped at 12?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Black Lantern wrote: View Post
I think they should keep the limit on regeneration, and do an episode where the doctor actualy dies, but then the timelords (who return before then) grant him an extra 13 incarnations like they did with the master in the timewar as their version of a medal of valour. Then that's the problem solved until doctor number 26 decides to leave..............
Problem with that is, that the Doctor wouldn't be in good graces at all with the Time Lords right now, considering he destroyed/time locked them twice

I think the best route to follow is to simply have the atmosphere of believing he will die (Maybe even plant a phony rumor of cancellation to give it credibility and a surprise), and then have him regenerate and be shocked by it, and then explain it. Hiring A new actor for the Doctor, is an impossible secret to keep, but, it would be really, really cool, if they could make us believe it really will be the end, and then have him regenerate and the Showrunner could go "Pysche"

Like a false cancellation rumour will work. It'll never work as soon as the press get a hold of it the BBC will be for a lot of flak.


DW is a massive show, a huge hit for the BBC, it's not unheard of the press to publish pictures of episodes being filmed. DW isn't some show that only pulls in a few million viewers, it can pull in over 7m+ with an audiance share of ~40%.

Never mind the cancelling the show part, simply planting a false rumour will likely get the BBC into trouble.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 12:54 AM   #44
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Are regenerations still capped at 12?

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Black Lantern wrote: View Post
I think they should keep the limit on regeneration, and do an episode where the doctor actualy dies, but then the timelords (who return before then) grant him an extra 13 incarnations like they did with the master in the timewar as their version of a medal of valour. Then that's the problem solved until doctor number 26 decides to leave..............
Problem with that is, that the Doctor wouldn't be in good graces at all with the Time Lords right now, considering he destroyed/time locked them twice

I think the best route to follow is to simply have the atmosphere of believing he will die (Maybe even plant a phony rumor of cancellation to give it credibility and a surprise), and then have him regenerate and be shocked by it, and then explain it. Hiring A new actor for the Doctor, is an impossible secret to keep, but, it would be really, really cool, if they could make us believe it really will be the end, and then have him regenerate and the Showrunner could go "Pysche"

Like a false cancellation rumour will work. It'll never work as soon as the press get a hold of it the BBC will be for a lot of flak.


DW is a massive show, a huge hit for the BBC, it's not unheard of the press to publish pictures of episodes being filmed. DW isn't some show that only pulls in a few million viewers, it can pull in over 7m+ with an audiance share of ~40%.

Never mind the cancelling the show part, simply planting a false rumour will likely get the BBC into trouble.
Yea, sorry, the cancellation rumor part wasn't meant as entirely serious. Even if there weren't legal issues, there would still be the backlash issues (Viewers leaving the show because they don't know it's not really cancelled, viewers that leave the show because they're pissed off about being jacked around....)
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 03:49 AM   #45
TemporalFlux
Commodore
 
TemporalFlux's Avatar
 
Location: The End of Time
Re: Are regenerations still capped at 12?

I think that the greater question is "Will the TARDIS allow The Doctor to die?" We've already seen that the TARDIS has regenerative power through it's power source; it even managed to make Captain Jack nearly immortal.

I think it's a symbiotic relationship at this point. The TARDIS will keep The Doctor alive as long as The Doctor keeps the TARDIS alive.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.