Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 7 2012, 02:46 PM   #31
Redfern
Commodore

Re: Are regenerations still capped at 12?

I just found it odd that Borusa promised the Master a whole new set of regenerations when he himself was searching for immortality. Well, one could argue that Borusa was searching for a method to immortalize his current incarnation, the one that obviously "fell to the dark side". I mean, when we first met him in "The Deadly Assassin", he was a bleedin' ponce. When we saw him again in "The Invasion of Time", he was a world weary sage. He was actually likable, at least, one felt he deserved respect. But the exchange between Davison's Doctor and his (for far) latest incarnation suggested Borusa wanted that specific body and personality to live forever.

I still feel that Borusa gave the Master a "snow job" about a new cycle of regenerations. If it was that easy, why did the Master need to concoct such an elaborate plan to access the Eye of Harmony when he looked like a deep fried druid? I read that "offer" scene as something like, "Your offer of a new cycle is such a bold faced lie, but I'll play along to discover your true objective. Whatever you're wanting, I suspect I'll want more."

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 04:01 PM   #32
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Judge Death wrote: View Post
I don't mind if they retcon it, I just hope they mention it rather than just sweeping it under the carpet.
Yeah, that's my thought. Mention, make it a real plot point, find a workaround.
Old November 7 2012, 07:46 PM   #33
Green Lantern
Fleet Captain

I think they should keep the limit on regeneration, and do an episode where the doctor actualy dies, but then the timelords (who return before then) grant him an extra 13 incarnations like they did with the master in the timewar as their version of a medal of valour. Then that's the problem solved until doctor number 26 decides to leave..............
Green Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 09:15 PM   #34
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Black Lantern wrote: View Post
I think they should keep the limit on regeneration, and do an episode where the doctor actualy dies, but then the timelords (who return before then) grant him an extra 13 incarnations like they did with the master in the timewar as their version of a medal of valour. Then that's the problem solved until doctor number 26 decides to leave..............
Problem with that is, that the Doctor wouldn't be in good graces at all with the Time Lords right now, considering he destroyed/time locked them twice

I think the best route to follow is to simply have the atmosphere of believing he will die (Maybe even plant a phony rumor of cancellation to give it credibility and a surprise), and then have him regenerate and be shocked by it, and then explain it. Hiring A new actor for the Doctor, is an impossible secret to keep, but, it would be really, really cool, if they could make us believe it really will be the end, and then have him regenerate and the Showrunner could go "Pysche"

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 09:42 PM   #35
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

The universe went through a second Big Bang. Any rules that existed in the previous universe can be ignored as the writer's desire it, no other explanations required.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 11:20 PM   #36
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but this thread brought it back up for me.

Hypothetically, if the Timelords are still restricted to twelve regenerations, did the Doctor use one regeneration up when he inadvertantly created the Meta-Crisis Doctor in "Journey's End"?

Could the Twelfth Doctor actually be the Thirteenth?

Where does the Valeyard fit into this?
Old November 8 2012, 02:40 AM   #37
The Wormhole
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Problem with that is, that the Doctor wouldn't be in good graces at all with the Time Lords right now, considering he destroyed/time locked them twice
Well, the Time Lords are opportunistic bastards who aren't above anything that has the end result of accomplishing their goals. All one has to do is think up a convoluted reason for how granting the Doctor a new set of regenerations is in the Time Lords' best interests and that takes care of that.
Old November 8 2012, 02:48 AM   #38
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Well, the Time Lords are opportunistic bastards who aren't above anything that has the end result of accomplishing their goals. All one has to do is think up a convoluted reason for how granting the Doctor a new set of regenerations is in the Time Lords' best interests and that takes care of that.
True, They could give him a new cycle for sacrificing one as the new Matrix Core (Of course, without telling him that's their goal) or some other equally devious machination

Old November 8 2012, 02:51 AM   #39
Wereghost
Commodore

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Or there's been a rebellion and that crazy ******* Rassilon and his cronies have been removed. But rather than making the Doctor their darling, they're now led by a somewhat reformed Master. So, our hero is allowed to continue doing what he does and is sometimes even supported from a distance, but is kind of persona non grata on Gallifrey. Just like old times.
Old November 11 2012, 04:37 AM   #40
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Well wow, quite a nice response to my question... ty all! I had to skim the newer stuff as I'm not done w/Matt Smith yet, so I can't get into the details of what the technobabble explaining his extra regenerations might be quite yet.

But overall I think that the 12-regeneration limit at least needs to be name-checked and explained away... IIRC the Master was brought back by the Timelords as a soldier in the last Time War, so I'd accept as given that there are ways to extend it but 12 is the basic parameter. I do like the idea of him expecting not to regenerate and being surprised when he does -- and problems with it because of going past the 13-life "limit" could be a good arc for the season.
Klaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2012, 06:05 AM   #41
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

They can go either way and it will be fine with me.

Either just ignore it, or do a story around getting beyond that limitation.

I can't imagine them killing the show based on this. It's just too popular.
Old November 11 2012, 06:34 AM   #42
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Scaryquaze wrote: View Post
Where does the Valeyard fit into this?
Easy money, the Valeyard will show up when the Rani does... In other words... never again...
Old November 11 2012, 08:00 PM   #43
MacLeod
Admiral

I think the best route to follow is to simply have the atmosphere of believing he will die (Maybe even plant a phony rumor of cancellation to give it credibility and a surprise), and then have him regenerate and be shocked by it, and then explain it. Hiring A new actor for the Doctor, is an impossible secret to keep, but, it would be really, really cool, if they could make us believe it really will be the end, and then have him regenerate and the Showrunner could go "Pysche"

Like a false cancellation rumour will work. It'll never work as soon as the press get a hold of it the BBC will be for a lot of flak.

DW is a massive show, a huge hit for the BBC, it's not unheard of the press to publish pictures of episodes being filmed. DW isn't some show that only pulls in a few million viewers, it can pull in over 7m+ with an audiance share of ~40%.

Never mind the cancelling the show part, simply planting a false rumour will likely get the BBC into trouble.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 12:54 AM   #44
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post

Like a false cancellation rumour will work. It'll never work as soon as the press get a hold of it the BBC will be for a lot of flak.

DW is a massive show, a huge hit for the BBC, it's not unheard of the press to publish pictures of episodes being filmed. DW isn't some show that only pulls in a few million viewers, it can pull in over 7m+ with an audiance share of ~40%.

Never mind the cancelling the show part, simply planting a false rumour will likely get the BBC into trouble.
Yea, sorry, the cancellation rumor part wasn't meant as entirely serious. Even if there weren't legal issues, there would still be the backlash issues (Viewers leaving the show because they don't know it's not really cancelled, viewers that leave the show because they're pissed off about being jacked around....)

Old November 12 2012, 03:49 AM   #45
TemporalFlux
Commodore

I think that the greater question is "Will the TARDIS allow The Doctor to die?" We've already seen that the TARDIS has regenerative power through it's power source; it even managed to make Captain Jack nearly immortal.

I think it's a symbiotic relationship at this point. The TARDIS will keep The Doctor alive as long as The Doctor keeps the TARDIS alive.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote