Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old November 10 2012, 10:42 AM   #406
teacock
Admiral

Re: My Trek Through Enterprise: Season One

Spook/Hoorah! Admirer wrote: View Post

This was a nice episode about the second Enterprise and their descendants.

Grade: B
---------
My FAVORITE EPISODE of ENT and certainly one of my favorite all time Trek episodes. Old T'Pol So poignant. In every good way. Even poor Malcolm as the never married one. Of course they left out the part where he and Hayes were very happy together.

And a B!!!
The Council

Poor Degra.
A tie for me as the most emotional death ever in Trek. The one it's tied with is in your future. Gut wrenching. Especially what the Xindi says to him as he stabs his last breath from him.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 10:46 AM   #407
teacock
Admiral

Also re E2.. how great is Lorian?! He manages to look like both of them!! And though he is true to the plans of his parents he has developed as a character that is outside of Starfleet and existing as an entirely independent operative. Which makes complete sense given his life.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 10 2012, 04:14 PM   #408
Gaith
Rear Admiral

That's it?!
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 04:40 PM   #409
lurok
Commodore

Works for me
Old November 10 2012, 05:39 PM   #410
rabid bat
Commodore

View rabid bat's Twitter Profile

Eek. E2. I'm putting the finishing touches on 4 ff books about the 2037 - 2154 time period. I found these characters (and the machinations of the canon characters to get to becoming parents, surviving over a century, etc.) to be truly compelling.
Artist formerly known as jespah.
rabid bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 06:43 PM   #411
Mutai Sho-Rin

teacock wrote: View Post
The Council

Poor Degra.

A tie for me as the most emotional death ever in Trek. The one it's tied with is in your future. Gut wrenching. Especially what the Xindi says to him as he stabs his last breath from him.
A woman I worked with during the ENT run was a big fan. On the morning after this ep, I went directly to her cubicle when I arrived at the office. She looked up as I peered in and said only one sorrowful word, "Degra". He had become a favorite character and we were both shocked by his departure and the method thereof.
Old November 10 2012, 08:00 PM   #412
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

^ I wasn't shocked, but I was sorry to see him go. As soon as the reptilians started zeroing in on what happened, I knew that he was likely a goner. I just hoped that maybe he'd find a clever way to protect himself, but alas, he was too decent and not nearly conniving and scheming enough to do so.

---------
My FAVORITE EPISODE of ENT and certainly one of my favorite all time Trek episodes. Old T'Pol So poignant. In every good way. Even poor Malcolm as the never married one. Of course they left out the part where he and Hayes were very happy together.

And a B!!!
The Council

Poor Degra.
E^2 was quite the nice episode, and those being the last words he heard had to have been terrifying because he knew that reptilian would probably make good on his word.

Gaith wrote: View Post

That's it?!
Well, what else do you want to know?

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 08:03 PM   #413
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Countdown

I hope Hoshi isn't permanently damaged by what they do to her, and the little talk Malcolm has with Hayes about retrieving her is nice. I'm also glad to see that the Aquatics are getting involved, and I so didn't want to see what happened to their beautiful ship. And Hayes...

Grade: B plus

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 09:00 PM   #414
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Well E2 to me was nothing more than a distraction from the main plot and a shameless rip off of DS9's children of time.

Countdown was a fun episode, but come on... we knew from day one Major Redshir-- I mean Hayes, was gonna die at some point. The whole Degra arc really is symbolic of the greater story arc that's drug along all season. Archer tries deceiving and manipulating him, it doesn't work, so he tries diplomacy and it does work. Really the biggest weakness of the whole arc is Dolim. Sure we need a bad guy, but bad guys have motivations usually beyond just being evil. Dolim sure is turning a blind eye to overwhelming evidence just to satisfy his need to be evil.
Old November 10 2012, 11:10 PM   #415
teacock
Admiral

Countdown

I hope Hoshi isn't permanently damaged by what they do to her, and the little talk Malcolm has with Hayes about retrieving her is nice. I'm also glad to see that the Aquatics are getting involved, and I so didn't want to see what happened to their beautiful ship. And Hayes...

Grade: B plus
This was the greatest Hoshi moment for me, and she went from being a fairly meh character to epic here. What's nice about rewatches is I know what she's capable of and it makes her a great character from season one after seeing this. I was so impressed that she tried to kill herself to take the information with her.

And Hayes..that was truly sad because what an attractive man he was

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 10 2012, 11:14 PM   #416
teacock
Admiral

Zombie Redshirt wrote: View Post
Well E2 to me was nothing more than a distraction from the main plot and a shameless rip off of DS9's children of time.
Even though the plot device was the same (which you can say about plenty of Trek, repeating plot devices) E2 had far more emotional impact. The story was a continuation of the Xindi arc rather than just a stand alone and it also continued the Trip/T'Pol relationship with the fact of their being happy together shoved firmly in our Trip and T'Pol's faces. Old T'Pol's advice is the same as Prime Spock's to NuSpock at the end of ST:XI, which tells us some interesting things about very aged Vulcans

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 11 2012, 12:02 AM   #417
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I can't give you my strongest rebuttal to that for want of spoilers(though I suspect you know what it is ), but it really didn't move me that much. Sure it had a lot of neat things, but it was a classic repeat. Who hooked up with who? The generational effect and even the old char/young char meeting each other. And any meaning it may have had was handwaved away by the reset button invariably. Honestly, taken at face value this episode would've been a bit more enjoyable earlier in the arc. My primary annoyance with it, is it really does distract from the climax of the arc.
Old November 11 2012, 12:09 AM   #418
teacock
Admiral

My primary annoyance with it, is it really does distract from the climax of the arc.
And that's why I don't care for Take Me Out to the Holosuite which as I recall you enjoyed

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 11 2012, 12:25 AM   #419
R. Star
Rear Admiral

My primary annoyance with it, is it really does distract from the climax of the arc.
And that's why I don't care for Take Me Out to the Holosuite which as I recall you enjoyed
I think Take me out was like the 4th episode of season 7? Sure DS9 has a 12 episode long climax but in 26 episodes even then I wouldn't call that interrupting the climax at all. Had it been in that 12 episode montage I'd say touche to that.
Old November 11 2012, 12:57 AM   #420
teacock
Admiral

It's not about the math. It's about how an odd man out episode in the middle of a story arc is perceived and I think there will usually be a personal element to it. I love AU stories and that one pushed all my happy buttons. Other people love baseball and I think they enjoy seeing a baseball ep the way I enjoy seeing a Trek ep on a show that isn't Trek.

The could have inserted an episode like Sub Rosa to the Dominion arc or the Xindi arc and everyone would have cried foul.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne