Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 10 2012, 07:31 PM   #91
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Re: Assassin's Creed III

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I'm honestly not doing anything differently than I did in the previous games, and I'm having no trouble whatsoever with fighting or countering.
Same here...
It is harder to get rid of the guards though...

-- Death makes a career move (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)
Rincewiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 10:40 PM   #92
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

I don't have to hold the button... a quick tap of B when they go for a swing, it counters
Old November 10 2012, 11:51 PM   #93
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
I don't have to hold the button... a quick tap of B when they go for a swing, it counters
That's how it worked in prior games. And if you do that in III, it will send them sprawling, but it won't do any damage.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2012, 12:00 AM   #94
RoJoHen
Awesome

ATimson wrote: View Post
That's how it worked in prior games. And if you do that in III, it will send them sprawling, but it won't do any damage.
I feel like you must be doing something else, because hitting Counter should do exactly the same thing in III that it's done in all the other games.
Old November 11 2012, 05:50 AM   #95
ATimson
Rear Admiral

I feel like you must be doing something else, because hitting Counter should do exactly the same thing in III that it's done in all the other games.
If I am, I'd love to know what!

Though in the old games, you had to hold down Right Trigger to even get Counter to appear as an option; that doesn't hold true in III, though. And because III got rid of the whole "high profile" thing, I haven't been holding the trigger during fights. Are you still doing so? That could be the difference...

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old November 11 2012, 06:44 AM   #96
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm on the last mission of Sequence 6 and I'm still not enjoying it. The combat is confusing and the maps are so different... you don't renovate shops anymore? Where ARE the shops? I'm out of arrows and I don't even know where to buy any...

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2012, 06:53 AM   #97
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I'm on the last mission of Sequence 6 and I'm still not enjoying it. The combat is confusing and the maps are so different... you don't renovate shops anymore? Where ARE the shops?
There's three per zone (Boston/New York/Frontier), plus the occasional wandering peddler. I believe you have to actually enter the store before it'll show up on your minimap (though peddlers show up when you get near).

I'm out of arrows and I don't even know where to buy any...
You can either buy them from the shops (see above), or craft them on the homestead (go in the front door of the mansion, turn left - though the book admittedly might not be unlocked yet for you).

Old November 11 2012, 07:15 AM   #98
Mr Light
Admiral

I remember playing through all the previous games just using the assassin's blades. You didn't even have to worry about combat you just keep slashing and eventually they die. I feel like an idiot not being able to counter their attacks like this.

And I really can't stand how the maps work now where the left stick fucks up the map I believe that used to move the map...

So far this is an incredible disappointment after the three Ezio games (I'm not including the first game of course lol).

Old November 11 2012, 11:00 AM   #99
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

And I really can't stand how the maps work now where the left stick fucks up the map I believe that used to move the map...
The map overlay, yeah, mapping it to the D-Pad would've made more sense to me...
Same for buying multiple items like ammo, use the right stick to increase the amount when it used to be the D-Pad...
But i do like the expanded functionality of the assasins, use them as bodyguards or in the classic assasinate way etc...

-- Death makes a career move (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)
Rincewiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2012, 11:43 AM   #100
RoJoHen
Awesome

If I am, I'd love to know what!

Though in the old games, you had to hold down Right Trigger to even get Counter to appear as an option; that doesn't hold true in III, though. And because III got rid of the whole "high profile" thing, I haven't been holding the trigger during fights. Are you still doing so? That could be the difference...
Well, I'm playing on PS3, so I'm not sure exactly how the controls may differ (I assume you're on XBOX). The "high profile/low profile" hasn't been present in the series since the very first game; they got rid of that with AC2.

I'm honestly not sure what you're doing wrong. The gameplay on PS3 has been pretty much identical over the course of the last 4 games. If anything, I find the fights to be a lot easier in this new game.
Old November 11 2012, 12:27 PM   #101
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Only if you don't issue a follow up command right after the counter. Red triangle appears over enemy. Tap B. Game slows down. Tap X, enemy dead.

I really don't understand what you must be doing wrong but the way you're describing the combat system does not tally with how it works in my experience :/
Old November 11 2012, 02:46 PM   #102
Mr Light
Admiral

When I see the warning triangle I mash B, and I never get a slo mo moment, but I do manage to counter the move without hurting him.

Old November 11 2012, 04:16 PM   #103
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Only if you don't issue a follow up command right after the counter. Red triangle appears over enemy. Tap B. Game slows down. Tap X, enemy dead.
If I tap B, I don't get the slowdown; I have to hold B to get that to happen... I wonder what the heck is different?

Even if it works as you describe, it's still a change from prior games (it didn't use to be a two-button process...).

Old November 11 2012, 04:35 PM   #104
Mr Light
Admiral

So you have to hold down B? Like, the whole time?

Old November 11 2012, 05:40 PM   #105
RoJoHen
Awesome

Even if it works as you describe, it's still a change from prior games (it didn't use to be a two-button process...).
I was always a two-button process on the PS3 version.