Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade Blood & Chrome...
Excellent 43 34.96%
Above Average 53 43.09%
Average 24 19.51%
Below Average 3 2.44%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 10 2012, 01:21 PM   #91
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome - Grading & Discussion

Candlefright wrote: View Post
BenRoethig wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Not bad. While nothing about this jumps out and makes me say "totally awesome" webisodes 1 and 2 were decent and enjoyable.

On th nitpick side, the Viper simulator Adama was in at the start of webisode 1 seems just a bit too advanced for this point in the BSG verse. That thing could rival Trek holodecks.

Expanded hangar deck and CIC annoy me a bit. Okay, yes, this is supposed to be Galactica in its hey day as opposed to the series which showed Galactica about to be retired. But all they seem to be doing is showing off differences which otherwise have no real relevance to the plot. This feels like whenever Star Trek does alternate futures where we see the ship look different and dwell on it for no particular reason.
I didn't have a problem with it. They were showing Galactica as a brand new boat before all the postwar technology regressions.
Pegasus has simulators on board but Galactica didn't. Just means that by the time the fall of the colonies rolled round Galactica had gotten rid of hers.

Just because we never saw any on screen doesn't mean they weren't as advanced as that.
I always thought the Pegasus flight simulators were basically a variation of flight simulators that exist in the real world. And let's be honest, if we ever saw them in the series, that's how they would have been shown.

teacock wrote: View Post
Okay thanks to another member I have watched it. Loved it. Confused over Mike Dopud being cast as yet another character. In a world featuring many copies this seems an odd choice unless it's supposed to mean something. Lots of Caprica in this.
As others have pointed out, Vancouver productions are constantly re-using actors. Mike Dopud has had four roles in the Stargate franchise, two of which worked for the Lucian Alliance. Not to mention Caprica re-used quite a few actors who had well-known recurring roles on BSG. And on top of that, Ryan Robbins had two roles within BSG itself (Charlie Connor throughout seasons 3 and 4, Armistice officer in the mini) and a role on Caprica.

No, there's nothing unusual about Dopud being here. Though I am disappointed that this is another jerk role which he seems to be typecast in. Aside from his character on SGU everyone he's played that I've seen him is a jerk.
Old November 10 2012, 02:52 PM   #92
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Well so far this thing is good.
Old November 10 2012, 08:28 PM   #93
billcosby
Commodore

I'm encouraged to read what I'm reading - people are saying 'it's fun' which is a great sign... though others are saying that they want to watch Caprica again, which surprises me.
Caprica wasn't fun. Watching Caprica made me feel like I was watching someone go to work. I found the pacing pedantic, with little or no payoff for the buildup in each episode.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I can wait until these are all released and watch them at once or if I'm too weak...

Old November 10 2012, 10:30 PM   #94
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

There's this old girlfriend, who was terrible, who keeps insisting that she should reenter your life in a big way, that you would rather ignore, but then after spending half an hour in a broom closet with some world shaking event of a woman who then wanders off, you wonder if getting regularly attended to is worth the payoff of spending time with that first woman who you are not entirely fond of.

I have no idea why they made Caprica like they did, when they could have been doing this.

Even the Doctor from Voyager bitching about holocivilliberties for maybe three sporadic episodes was more on message than Caprica about the rise of the Cylons.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Old November 10 2012, 10:56 PM   #95
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Anybody else the tattoo on Adama's back in the shower scene? (I think it was a tattoo anyway.) Did we ever see Bill Snr naked back, with said tattoo?
Old November 10 2012, 11:34 PM   #96
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Yep I noticed that tattoo right away. Do we see Adama without his shirt on in the boxing ep? The tattoo looked in a similar style to Kara's geometrical step tattoo.

As to Caprica, I enjoyed it it for it's world building, showing us the cities and lifestyle that the BSG folk had completely lost.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 11 2012, 01:26 AM   #97
Lieutenant Commander

Ethros wrote: View Post
Did we ever see Bill Snr naked back, with said tattoo?
No... thank God. Or whatever.
Old November 11 2012, 01:38 AM   #98
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

We should ask Stewie Griffen, he'd know.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Old November 11 2012, 01:54 AM   #99
teacake
Admiral

We need a screenshot of young Adama's tatt. We have five more days to pore over the 23 minutes of Blood and Chrome available to us before the next 12 minutes (or less) of new material drops.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 11 2012, 01:57 AM   #100
Candlelight
Admiral

Was nice to see the starboard flightpod in use, too.
Old November 11 2012, 02:04 AM   #101
teacake
Admiral

Yes, that was very moving.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 11 2012, 03:28 AM   #102
NrobbieC
Commander

Little Adama is awful, but other than that it's not half bad
Old November 11 2012, 04:27 AM   #103
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

^ I'd say tolerable more than awful. While not an asset, he's not a real detriment, either. The writing takes much of the blame for him being such an arrogant prick - but I suspect that's the point. The payoff is seeing him assigned to a "milk run" to cool his jets, instead of a Viper command. Seeing his arrogance being acknowledged and dealt with in the context of the two episodes was one of the things I liked so far.
Old November 11 2012, 05:32 AM   #104
JD
Admiral

I really enjoyed it. It's nice to get new stories in one of my favorite Sci-Fi universes, and the story seems pretty interesting so far. I was pleasantly surprised by all of the Caprica references. I loved Caprica, and I'm really glad that they appear to be using this as a bridge between the series.
Old November 11 2012, 05:54 AM   #105
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
No, there's nothing unusual about Dopud being here. Though I am disappointed that this is another jerk role which he seems to be typecast in. Aside from his character on SGU everyone he's played that I've seen him is a jerk.
Was he a jerk in SGA's Tracker? I thought he was a good guy there.

EDIT: Btw, I think the Blood and Chrome trailer is nice. I'm not sure that I'll watch the series, though.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf