Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 9 2012, 04:29 AM   #16
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Re: It's official! Neil Gaiman episode to feature...(spoilers)

There are a couple of sketches in the set reports section at GB, no actual photos yet. The description is correct. The abdomen is basically the Cybus abdomen. The chest piece reminds me of a harness, with the disk in the center having an iris (maybe a weapon). The head is very Tomb of the Cybermen. The legs are reminiscent of the Cybus, but leaner and toned down. The arms remind me of the Sontaran uniform.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 07:49 AM   #17
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Now dats what I'm talkin bout!
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 10:39 AM   #18
Starkers
Admiral

Hmm...interesting...

And if the title is The Last Cyberman I wonder if it'll be a bit like Dalek?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 04:37 PM   #19
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Hopefully Gaiman does something good with them, I find Daleks and Cybermen don't excite me much these days.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 06:48 PM   #20
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

More from Timeboy (I'll say SQUEE): Back to some actual spoilers rather than the "opposition" (you've got to laugh)

The new Cybermen are amazing! I got right up close, but was asked by the castle workers not to take any photos, so I didn't. The castle was open to the public as normal.

They really are stunning. Less knight, armour-like, and more tight silver rubber. The material looked like it was the same as the new series Sontarans, sprayed silver. It was quite a bit like the Cybermen from The Invasion, especially on the arms and lets. They have what looks like a small chest gun in the form of a camera iris sort of shape, kind of strapped onto their chest. They've got guns on their arms like the ones in Army of Ghosts. The head is less angular than the Cybus design, and more smooth and rounded like in Tomb of the Cybermen. They have the corrugated ear pieces, although its very subtle. The mouth is similar to the Tomb design too. It looks like more of a rubber mask than the Cybus "helmets". The handlebars and teardrop eye are still there. The hands look like a man with tight silver washing up gloves on!

They move slowly, although its still in an organised manner, with a choreographer on set. They don't stop at all. They calmly wander towards Clara, almost like zombies. One thing I found a bit distracting was the squeaky noise! Because they're made out of some sort of rubber (shoes included), and obviously they've just been made, there was a really annoying noise. Like when you get a new pair of trainers!

They really have cherry picked the best components of all the Cybermen designs. They've managed to make them more, dare I say it, cloth-like, than I ever thought would be acceptable in 2012/13. There's also a bit of continuity between the Cybus design and these ones, such as the handlebars, teardrops and some of the abdominal section of the suit. But there's no longer any black wiring underneath (as far as I could tell), and they look much slimmer and less bulkier than the Cybusmen. It looks like its only made up of a few pieces, compared to all the sections of arm, leg and chest armour the previous designs had. Looking at the series 2-6 Cybermen now, they look rubbish! They've got the design spot on. They'll go down very well on here I think.

In terms of the scene filmed... The Cybermen appear out of smoke towards Clara, creeping slowly towards her. She grabs a mace, and swings it all over the place, hitting them. It doesn't do anything, so she accepts defeat and throws the mace away in anger, then dodges the Cybermen and escapes! Army people with big guns come and shoot the Cybermen, and the Cybermen fire their arm guns back, hitting some of the soldiers.

DJ Mark Bisson

Old November 9 2012, 09:41 PM   #21
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

HOLY SHITBALLS! PICS! (Look now before they get taken down!).

DJ Mark Bisson

Old November 9 2012, 09:43 PM   #22
StCoop
Commodore

Hardly changed at all.

Certainly not the return of "real" Cybermen (whatever the hell that means) then.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 09:52 PM   #23
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Peacemaker wrote: View Post
HEH, The First pic with two of them with their heads down, looks like Cheerleaders getting ready to start a routine "READY...OK"

They look great, thanks

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 10:00 PM   #24
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I like them. They are a bit more "Cybusy" than I had expected from the description, but when I thought about it, I don't think a total departure from that generation will happen until the next redesign. These seem more transitional in that regard, and I am fine with that, knowing that they aren't going to be marching loudly and carrying on, and will return to the stealthy Cybermen of old.

DJ Mark Bisson

Old November 9 2012, 11:57 PM   #25
Lonemagpie
Writer

forget it - I see it's already posted above

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 12:02 AM   #26
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Oh come on!

Cybermen, shmybermen.

Why waste Neil on these over used entrenched buggers?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 12:35 AM   #27
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I was thinking a comparison shot might be useful.

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 12:45 AM   #28
The Wormhole
Admiral

Kind of reminds me of the pictures I've seen of the new Robocop. Which is kind of funny, since everyone compared the Cybusmen to Robocop when they were first introduced.
Old November 10 2012, 02:01 AM   #29
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Set Report from GB: From Timeboy;
"BRAND NEW CYBERMEN! Very similar to the Cybus ones, but they have tighter armour and Tomb of the Cybermen-like faces!!!! Really shiny"

"The armour is like slim-fitted rubber, similar to the new Sontarans, but silver. Guns fixed on arms, and the leader has an extra gun"

"They're walking softly, slowly, and quietly, like the Hartnell/Troughton era Cybermen"
More from Timeboy (I'll say SQUEE): Back to some actual spoilers rather than the "opposition" (you've got to laugh)

The new Cybermen are amazing! I got right up close, but was asked by the castle workers not to take any photos, so I didn't. The castle was open to the public as normal.

They really are stunning. Less knight, armour-like, and more tight silver rubber. The material looked like it was the same as the new series Sontarans, sprayed silver. It was quite a bit like the Cybermen from The Invasion, especially on the arms and lets. They have what looks like a small chest gun in the form of a camera iris sort of shape, kind of strapped onto their chest. They've got guns on their arms like the ones in Army of Ghosts. The head is less angular than the Cybus design, and more smooth and rounded like in Tomb of the Cybermen. They have the corrugated ear pieces, although its very subtle. The mouth is similar to the Tomb design too. It looks like more of a rubber mask than the Cybus "helmets". The handlebars and teardrop eye are still there. The hands look like a man with tight silver washing up gloves on!

They move slowly, although its still in an organised manner, with a choreographer on set. They don't stop at all. They calmly wander towards Clara, almost like zombies. One thing I found a bit distracting was the squeaky noise! Because they're made out of some sort of rubber (shoes included), and obviously they've just been made, there was a really annoying noise. Like when you get a new pair of trainers!

They really have cherry picked the best components of all the Cybermen designs. They've managed to make them more, dare I say it, cloth-like, than I ever thought would be acceptable in 2012/13. There's also a bit of continuity between the Cybus design and these ones, such as the handlebars, teardrops and some of the abdominal section of the suit. But there's no longer any black wiring underneath (as far as I could tell), and they look much slimmer and less bulkier than the Cybusmen. It looks like its only made up of a few pieces, compared to all the sections of arm, leg and chest armour the previous designs had. Looking at the series 2-6 Cybermen now, they look rubbish! They've got the design spot on. They'll go down very well on here I think.

In terms of the scene filmed... The Cybermen appear out of smoke towards Clara, creeping slowly towards her. She grabs a mace, and swings it all over the place, hitting them. It doesn't do anything, so she accepts defeat and throws the mace away in anger, then dodges the Cybermen and escapes! Army people with big guns come and shoot the Cybermen, and the Cybermen fire their arm guns back, hitting some of the soldiers.
Sounds and looks very promising. As zarkon said, hopefully the voices will change, too. I love the sing-song voices from The Tenth Planet and Big Finish's Spare Parts (among others).

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 03:01 AM   #30
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Personally, I thought The Invasion had the best Cyberman voice.