RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 423
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old November 3 2012, 06:27 AM   #16
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: MLB Offseason 2012

The trade has fallen apart and the Angels have declined Haren's option, making him a free agent. Supposedly the Cubs put the kibosh on the deal, which makes me think there's something major in Haren's medical records which made them shy away.

In any event, I don't know what personal flaw Haren has that causes almost every person in baseball to never want him, but there clearly is one the public doesn't know about, because he's about as rock-solid as you can get for a #2 starter.
Old November 3 2012, 07:36 AM   #17
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

[QUOTE=Timby;7195327
For those keeping score at home...
[/QUOTE]

If I was scoring at home, I wouldn't be posting here at 2:30 in the morning.
Old November 6 2012, 03:14 AM   #18
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Eli Whiteside to Yankees. Linky.

Looks like they're stocking up on catchers...keeping Stewart and Cervelli, and of course want to re-sign Russell Martin.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old November 6 2012, 03:15 AM   #19
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
They are hamstrung next season with the Bay and Santana deals, along with being in bed with Madoff.
Missed this earlier. Yeah, it's not clear at all if the Mets can afford anything without dumping salary first. Alderson has repeatedly said that they will be at no more than $100 million, and including 2014 buyouts (which they're counting as 2013 payroll), they're already at about $85 million. Arbitration awards for Davis, Murphy, Parnell and Thole are going to total somewhere in the neighborhood of another $10 million or so. I'm not sure they can do anything significantly over league minimum without offloading salary, and they have very little of consequence in terms of money which is plausibly moveable.

I used to laugh at the Mets' ineptitude, and now I just feel sorry for their fans. It's pretty disgusting that they've thrown away years with a playoff core while refusing to break it up. If they had been willing to spend to the luxury tax -- and the idea that a team in New York with a ludicrous sweetheart park deal is cutting corners to such an extreme level is absurd -- they could have easily built a contender without giving up the 2014-and-forward financial flexibility that they're dead-set on.
Old November 7 2012, 05:51 PM   #20
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Lucas Duda broke his wrist moving furniture and had surgery. With everything going on with the Mets, the only thing I'm wondering about in this off season is, what crazy, insane stuff is RA Dickey up to.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Old November 8 2012, 01:08 AM   #21
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

In news that no one saw coming, the Mets and Jason Bay have agreed to a termination of his contract two years early; the Mets are still going to cover the entirety of the money owed to him, but it will be deferred across a number of seasons.

I can understand why this move was made, in that it gives the Mets at least a hair of financial breathing room (even though it's not like this gives them the cash to make an Upton deal), but I can see the team really regretting it by 2014 or so, given that their owners are, you know, still broke.
Old November 8 2012, 01:22 AM   #22
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

Yeah we're paying a million dollars a year to Bobby Bonilla for the next 25 years. So this should be the same, I bet in 15 years Bobby will open the envelope and not be sure who this million dollars came from.

Old November 8 2012, 11:35 PM   #23
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Reports say the Mets are gauging interest in Dickey.
Old November 8 2012, 11:49 PM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ Fuck.

Here's hoping they don't go through with it.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old November 8 2012, 11:52 PM   #25
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

His value is super high now, if they could get a few really good pieces back. I would do it, sure it would hurt to see him go. Only Mets game I went to this year was at the end of the season to see if he would win his 20th game, (he did not that night.)

Old November 9 2012, 12:12 AM   #26
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

The Rockies announced last night at 10pm that their new manager is Walt Weiss. They must be very proud of that signing what with sending out a press release at 10 o'clock on a Wednesday night. This just solidifies the fact that the Monforts are a bunch of classless losers; you have a shitty team, at least treat your Manager, and former fan favorite with a little respect and announce his signing properly.
Old November 9 2012, 02:36 AM   #27
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

The Abominable Dr. Horrible wrote: View Post
His value is super high now, if they could get a few really good pieces back. I would do it, sure it would hurt to see him go. Only Mets game I went to this year was at the end of the season to see if he would win his 20th game, (he did not that night.)
No one is going to give up a top prospect or a genuinely good player for a 38-year-old knuckleballer with a funky arm right now when there's Zach Greinke on the market. Trading him is a horrible idea; they'd be better off holding him for prospects at the deadline or tendering him after the season.
Old November 9 2012, 05:58 AM   #28
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I was still hoping that the Braves picking up Jordan Schafer was some kind of joke... and then I found out it was real. The Astros didn't even want this dirtbag so we just took him back. Ugh.

Michael Bourn has declined the Braves qualifying offer and will take his speed and strikeouts elsewhere.
Old November 9 2012, 02:00 PM   #29
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
The Abominable Dr. Horrible wrote: View Post
No one is going to give up a top prospect or a genuinely good player for a 38-year-old knuckleballer with a funky arm right now when there's Zach Greinke on the market. Trading him is a horrible idea; they'd be better off holding him for prospects at the deadline or tendering him after the season.
I agree you'd get more for him if he's having another good season next year and another team that is an arm short needs to rent him for a playoff run.

I'd be leery of signing him long term. He's getting up there in age, his arm is missing a ligament, he's only had one really good year and it took him until 37 to do so, and knuckleballers are maddeningly inconsistent. If it's on, the opposing hitters will be baffled. If it's not, you're basically throwing BP.

A team will be more likely to overpay if they are one pitcher away from a legit chance at a title run than in November.

Still, I'd hate to see him go. It was a nice story this year.
Old November 9 2012, 06:53 PM   #30
Danny99
Vice Admiral

The Jays sign Maicer Izturis to a three year deal with an option for a fourth.

I'll admit to knowing little about it, but the consensus is that he is a stop gap measure to give Hechavarria a little bit more time to develop or Escobar is on his way out the door (which I fully support).

There is also a lot of fan support to bring in Jason Bay on a lesser contract to shore up the outfield. If you can get him cheaply, why not?

Still need pitching and they are interested in....Annibal Sanchez? God help us.