New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old November 2 2012, 03:55 AM   #106
E-DUB
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Axanar

Love those retractable steps.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 08:51 AM   #107
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

E-DUB wrote: View Post

OK, glad you do. I wasn't sure myself.

Of course that is just being a nit-picker since Tobias' work is so damn good.

Alec

Last edited by Linnear; November 4 2012 at 11:19 PM.
Linnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 01:37 PM   #108
Today
Lieutenant Commander

I really like the John Eaves inspired shuttle. Came out very nice!
Old November 4 2012, 03:25 PM   #109
Duane
Captain

Agreed. The steps are nice. When I first saw the pictures I was wondering how someone would enter the craft, then I saw the steps. Nice looking shuttle!

Duane
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 02:10 AM   #110
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

E-DUB wrote: View Post
I'm not so sure. The vessel is lovely, but those steps retract into the warp nacelle ... the last place I'd expect to find spare room for bulky wedges. Perhaps if they unwrapped from the exterior instead?
Old November 8 2012, 07:40 PM   #111
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

Day 1 of Christian's storyboarding Axanar happened yesterday. Being an amazing visual artist (Christian Gossett is the creator of The Red Star and worked as a concept artist on Peter Jackson's King Kong and Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland) he brings a breadth of experience to the role of Director. It was a great experience for me as Christian and I enjoy a great collaborative relationship. I wrote the script (with Dave Galanter) and Christian is the Director. Together we are telling an amazing story and what Christian came up with BLEW ME AWAY. It will look unlike any other Star Trek production. I am very excited.

A scene Christian came up with to introduce Kharn, the lead Klingon and Commander of the Klingon Fleet. Christian wants a scene like the garden secne in "Midway" where we first meet Yamamato. And yes, Christian and I, both see Klingons as Samurai, the honor warriors. "Midway" is a favorite of both of us and "The Last Samurai" and anything Kurosawa are inspirations.

Will post more as we move along. Christian and I storyboarded the first major battle yesterday.

Alec
Old November 16 2012, 07:07 PM   #112
Titan Designer
Fleet Captain

View Titan Designer's Twitter Profile

I have been given permission by Alec Peters to post this first concept
sketch of Richard Hatch as the main Klingon.

Sean P. Tourangeau
11-16-2012

Star Trek Axanar
Titan Designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2012, 08:19 PM   #113
dayxday1000
Lieutenant Commander

Richard Hatch? Cool!
dayxday1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2012, 05:23 PM   #114
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

Just the first of a couple amazing actors who will be in Axanar. Richard happened to be my first acting coach many years ago and is a good friend. He is very excited about Axanar and we are working with him on his character. Actors love having input into their character development during the writing process and rarely get it.

Christian and I had lunch with Richard this week to discuss the project again and things are moving along nicely.

Alec
Old November 18 2012, 08:02 PM   #115
Titan Designer
Fleet Captain

View Titan Designer's Twitter Profile

Linnear wrote: View Post
Just the first of a couple amazing actors who will be in Axanar. Richard happened to be my first acting coach many years ago and is a good friend. He is very excited about Axanar and we are working with him on his character. Actors love having input into their character development during the writing process and rarely get it.

Christian and I had lunch with Richard this week to discuss the project again and things are moving along nicely.

Alec
Shoot me an email on his thoughts for his character and I would love to form my sketches based off of them.
Titan Designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2012, 04:15 PM   #116
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

Here are updated images of the 4 main older Klingon Ships. These come from "Enterprise".

Klingon D-4

Klingon D-5

Early Klingon Bird of Prey

Klingon Raptor

There are two more ships to come. The Klingon D-6, which is the mainstay of the Klingon fleet in 2245, and the Klingon D-7, which is the dreadnaught that is just coming off the line and which the Klingons hope will tip the balance of the war. (The Constitution class is the Federation answer to the D-7 an dthere is an arms race to get each ship to the fight).

Alec
Old November 20 2012, 02:42 PM   #117
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

Here are the images of the Klingon D-6 created by Tobias Richter. The D-6 is the state of the art ship before the D-7s are launched. In "Axanar" the D-7 (like the Constitution Class) is the dreadnaught of their day. There is an arms race to get the respective ships off the line and into battle. So the D-6 is the main ship of the line for the Klingons.

Hope you enjoy them.

Alec
Old November 20 2012, 04:26 PM   #118
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Linnear, as always, I'm impressed by Tobias' work. Forgive me if this has been mentioned earlier and I've missed it, but the artwork so far is building to give me an impression of a Star Trek version of the movie Tora! Tora! Tora! What is the tone you're shooting for?

EDIT:
Okay, I'm an idiot. I just re-read the part where you discuss Midway. I'm now slapping my forehead vigorously.
Old November 20 2012, 04:37 PM   #119
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

HA HA Good question though. Christian and I are both big military history buffs and Midway is just one of the best war stories ever. So there are things we like from that story, but the whole of Japan in WWII is a rich source of material. Pearl Harbor (Think BSG: Razor), Midway, hell Coral Sea is an AMAZING battle no one ever talks about. Yamamoto as the reluctant warrior.

So there are many inspirations, but of course, the story must be original and fascinating to a Star Trek audience.

I am writing Act 4 now, which is all the Battle of Axanar. And I did a lot of research, even reading four of the Honor Harrington novels to see how the author described those battles (Basically 18th century navel battles in space). Everything sparks ideas. Not to copy, but in directions to go.

As I have said, I don't want final battle to be one big DS9 style slugfest. I have lots of problems with those battles. So ours needs to be really strategically interesting, while pushing the story forward and helping define our characters.

Alec
Old November 20 2012, 05:22 PM   #120
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Coral Sea is one of those "required reading" battles for anyone who wants to truly understand the difference between a "tactical" victory and a "strategic" one. The Japanese were well on their way to capturing Australia and possibly tilting the whole game board in the Pacific. Coral Sea was a tactical draw, but it marked the end of a string of Japanese wins and set the stage for Midway. Midway of course, was both. However, a close reading of history shows that Admiral Spruance's brilliant decisions made sure that the tactical wins translated into the key strategic win of the Pacific win.

Sorry for the ramble, but the bottom line is if that's where you're getting your inspiration, you've chosen well.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote