Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 24 2012, 01:03 PM   #16
MarsWeeps
Commander

Re: Chris Hemsworth.

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
I know Chris Hemsworth aka George Kirk...
I would have liked to see him play James T. Kirk instead, I think he would have done a better job than Chris Pine.
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2012, 01:29 PM   #17
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
I like the way he looked. I wonder if he was a scavanger or a pirate...
Memory Alpha summary:

"The alternate George appears in IDW Publishing's ongoing series, exploring events of the original series in the alternate reality, which clarifies that the boys lived with their uncle until George ran away to live with his grandfather. This later led to a rift between the brothers, James feeling that George had abandoned their mother. During their investigation of the neural parasites, Kirk and the crew discover George living underground with his family to escape the influence of the parasites after their attack on the colony, with the Enterprise subsequently devising a means to banish the parasites and cure George's family, which here is just his wife and son. At the story's conclusion, George and his family return to the colony, with George complementing his brother's success, a degree of reconciliation having been reached between the two of them."
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/George_Samuel_Kirk
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 11:08 AM   #18
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I know Chris Hemsworth aka George Kirk is now a mega movie star in Hollywood especially with the phenomenal success of Thor/Avengers. However I really wish he would get lots of recognition as George kirk.
Check out the new issue of IDW's "Star Trek Ongoing"!

Spoilers: http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=192769
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 12:21 AM   #19
Robert_T_April
Captain

bluepicard27 wrote: View Post
he commands a powerful presence
Yeah I forgot to add that as well .If you want more of George's epicness as captain,check out this classic quote Captain Pike said to Jim:

''Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved eight hundred lives, including your mother's and yours. I dare you to do better.
"

It just goes back to Chris awesomeness as George Kirk. I give him more critical praise for star trek than I do with Thor/Avengers
I always wondered why there were over 800 people on this ship? Wives...children...pregnant wives. Can someone explain this? no big deal but, why were so many people on this ship?
Robert_T_April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 12:32 AM   #20
Dukhat
Commodore

^'Cause it's more dramatic to have George Kirk save 800 lives instead of, say, 75?

I dunno.

Also, the Kelvin was a pretty big ship.
Old November 8 2012, 12:52 AM   #21
Sci
Admiral

Robert_T_April wrote: View Post
I always wondered why there were over 800 people on this ship? Wives...children...pregnant wives. Can someone explain this? no big deal but, why were so many people on this ship?
Any reason for there not to be?

A Nimitz-class aircraft carrier is half the length of a Galaxy-class starship and only about 44 meters less than a Constitution-class starship, but it has a crew complement of over 5,500 people -- well over 5,000 more crew than is found aboard a Constitution and around 2,000 more than a Galaxy-class starship's maximum passenger and guest complement.
Old November 8 2012, 10:30 PM   #22
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

bluepicard27 wrote: View Post
he commands a powerful presence
Yeah I forgot to add that as well .If you want more of George's epicness as captain,check out this classic quote Captain Pike said to Jim:

''Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved eight hundred lives, including your mother's and yours. I dare you to do better.
"

It just goes back to Chris awesomeness as George Kirk. I give him more critical praise for star trek than I do with Thor/Avengers
I assume that the Kirk lady was an exception. Wasn't the Kelvin either a scout or a spook ship?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 10:41 PM   #23
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

They built bigger ships in those days (and continued to build them big in STXI's alternate reality). The Kelvin's saucer is twice the diameter of the one on the Enterprise in The Original Series.
Old November 18 2012, 07:51 AM   #24
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

It's also quite possible they were in the process of transporting a bunch of colony folks to somewhere, when the Narada appeared.
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18 2012, 12:57 PM   #25
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

I read somewhere that the George Kirk role is what got him the Thor gig in the first place...so that's as much recognition as one can get for appearing in the first 10 minutes of a film, isn't it? Chris did a great job as Jimmy's heroic dad, and he was much prettier in ST (which has nothing to do with his acting abilities, or the importance of the role in the film, I know. Colour me superficial). I don't like them too bulky, but then again I'm more of a Tom Hiddleston person, anyway.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote