RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,736
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 1120
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 7 2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Admiral_Sisko
Lieutenant Commander

The Genesis Sunrise

This scene has always moved me, as it happens at a pivotal moment in The Search for Spock. Kirk has defeated Kruge, but must still find a way off planet and return Spock to Vulcan. I wonder if the scene is supposed to contain an inherent symbolism, because I've always interpreted this scene as "the world is ending, but there is hope for a brighter future," as evidenced by the sunrise. What do the rest of you think?
Admiral_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Timo
Admiral

Re: The Genesis Sunrise

"Wasn't this the direction of the sunset the last time we looked?"

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 09:30 PM   #3
22 Stars
Commodore

I like it, the matte painting could be better but the music cue is wonderful. Also, what star is that!!
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 10:11 PM   #4
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Isn't that what Kirk sees when he's looking down after knocking Kruge off the ledge? I always thought he was looking into the core of the planet...the overhead part would be the other side of the chasm they fell into.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 12:09 AM   #5
Admiral_Sisko
Lieutenant Commander

DonIago wrote: View Post
Isn't that what Kirk sees when he's looking down after knocking Kruge off the ledge? I always thought he was looking into the core of the planet...the overhead part would be the other side of the chasm they fell into.
No, it's not. The photo I posted is what he sees as he's climbing back up the rock wall next to the ledge where Kruge fell. He's standing as he looks into the distance, and he can see the horizon clearly.
Admiral_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 03:04 AM   #6
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I think based on what I thought was the angle of his head I thought he was looking down, not "out", as it were.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Timo
Admiral

The skyline is exactly the same as in that "ice age" image, with the same higher ground close to the camera, but with some new lava flows in the terrain in between.

And there's something weird going on with the planet all right: when Saavik and David settle in a cave after the snowstorm, they witness a slow sunset over this horizon, and when Kirk and friends beam down into a dusky landscape and then wander to the cave and the Klingons there in near-darkness, we supposedly see the sun setting in the same overall direction again. But then, brief moments later, the sun rises again from behind the same horizon! Should we take this as a sign that the planet's surface is massively sinking in that direction? Or that the planet's rotation has been reversed?

Also, the spot at which the sun sinks when David watches is significantly to the right of the spot at which the sun rises when Kirk watches. Even assuming a very small planetoid with a nearby horizon (say, the original Regula rock), that can't be due to mere parallax in camera placement...

Are we perhaps near the poles, looking north or south towards the equator, and the sun wobbles up and down on an acute sinusoidal curve as the planet both rotates and precesses?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 03:09 PM   #8
MacLeod
Admiral

Sunrise/Sunset are a visual cue that TV/movies use.

A sunrise is usually associated with a new beginning.

Sunset is a little different, as it can mean a variety of things depending on the context, it quite often means an ending of some sort.

i.e. in SW: AOTC at the very end we see cthe mass ranks of clone troopers and ships taking off with a sunset in the background added to the music cues it's bascially saying it's all downhill from here.

At the end of the Last crusade we see our herpos riding into the setting sun, which is a way of saying the end.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

They did say the planets crust was breaking up. I tend to think the core and mantle were never stable, but only in the final death throws of the planet did the crust really break up as well.

Interesting to think that other parts of the planet were probably already under water, completely volcanic landscapes etc, this was one of the last surviving parts of the planet, it's plate could have dipped sharply and brought the star back into view.
Old November 9 2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Tom
Rear Admiral

Wher did the sun even come from? The genesis wave made the planet out of the nebula gases and the Reliant, but did it make the sun too?
Old November 9 2012, 08:24 PM   #11
TiberiusMaximus
Fleet Captain

Location: A ship, a living ship, full of strange alien lifeforms.

That's what I want to know!
"Quite possibly, the five Jem'Hadar could turn Data into a collection of four spasming limbs, one helpless torso, and one head that shouts insults at them like the Black Knight from the Monty Python sketch." -Timo Saloniemi
TiberiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 08:35 PM   #12
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
Wher did the sun even come from? The genesis wave made the planet out of the nebula gases and the Reliant, but did it make the sun too?
It's the Regula star, same appearance to the one illuminating Regula 1 earlier in TWoK. The Mutara Nebula and Regula 1 seem to occupy roughly the same part of the goldilocks zone of the system, just a few minutes at full impulse apart (any closer and it may well have ended up the new planets moon).

There was a very lengthy discussion on this in sci-tech recently.
Old November 9 2012, 09:57 PM   #13
Tom
Rear Admiral

Well the nebula was pretty bright so maybe there was a sun nearby.
Old November 9 2012, 10:05 PM   #14
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Regula 1 was also very brightly illuminated and as I said they're nearby, so it seems the system has a bright star or it's goldilocks zone is closer to it than Earth is to Sol.
Old November 10 2012, 11:03 AM   #15
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

Nebulae are usually star-forming areas. The nebula easily could have had at least one star.

Or it was really a protoplanetary nebula around a sun.