RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,672
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 509
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Immortal Coil.
Outstanding 28 46.67%
Above Average 29 48.33%
Average 2 3.33%
Below Average 1 1.67%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 7 2012, 12:57 AM   #61
Smitty
Lieutenant Commander

Re: TNG: Immortal Coil by Jeffrey Lang Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Does the book have annotations for all the reference?
Old November 7 2012, 02:24 AM   #62
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Smitty wrote: View Post
Does the book have annotations for all the reference?
No. And I never needed one.
Old November 7 2012, 07:56 AM   #63
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384

I just want to thank you all for getting me back into reading Star Trek books. I was an avid reader up until about six months ago, but I just became so bored by it all. Then I saw this thread and a remember enjoying this book when it first came out. This time, I really enjoyed it. Being a fan of The Original Series, I had no problem getting all of the references and it is a credit to Jeffrey Lang that all of these cameos wasn't to the detriment of the story.

Yes, there are a couple of criticisms that other posters have outlined, but that was pushed aside by the excellent addition of Rhea McAdams and "Emil Vaslovik". I enjoyed it so much, I moved straigh on to The Persistence of Memory.
Old November 7 2012, 11:16 AM   #64
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

BeatleJWOL wrote: View Post
You don't even know that there's all that universe-bridging material until you've read through the book
Well, you do if you know TOS. And "The Questor Tapes". Each new cameo is a little revelation and you end up anticipating more and more.

why wouldn't people have wanted, say, an index in the back?
Some did. Understandably, TNG-only fans thought they'd missed something important when they realised how many TOS cameos there were. But they were mostly easter eggs, secret little winks for those in the know.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 11:46 AM   #65
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

JD wrote: View Post
Don't forget about the Discworld books. Some of the funniest stuff in those is in the footnotes.
Oh, with that in mind, the same is true about Good Omens.

Damn, I really need to start working on the Discworld books...

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 05:40 PM   #66
Reanok
Commodore

I'm halfway through this novel and really like how Data was written in this novel.He certainly got more charcter developement than some of the older TNG books I've read recently.This is a great book I really like it alot.

Last edited by Reanok; November 8 2012 at 04:27 AM.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 06:16 PM   #67
RPJOB
Commander

I enjoyed the novel but found the Questor connection to be overly cute. I felt the same way about the Millenium Falcon showing up in Vanguard.

It did feel a bit small universe but it was interesting to sort of tie things together, just to see how they'd fit.
Old November 10 2012, 05:58 PM   #68
Markonian
Captain

RPJOB wrote: View Post
I enjoyed the novel but found the Questor connection to be overly cute. I felt the same way about the Millenium Falcon showing up in Vanguard.
The Millennium Falcon was in Vanguard? When, where, who was the owner? Was the ship design hinted at or the name called out loud?

As far as I know, the MF is a 24th century Federation starship participating the Battle of Sector 001 (First Contact).
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 07:48 PM   #69
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Markonian wrote: View Post
RPJOB wrote: View Post
The Millennium Falcon was in Vanguard? When, where, who was the owner? Was the ship design hinted at or the name called out loud?

As far as I know, the MF is a 24th century Federation starship participating the Battle of Sector 001 (First Contact).
Well, actually it was mynocks that showed up in Vanguard. Or nymocks, to use their devious alias. They were chewing on power cables, of course.
Old November 10 2012, 08:20 PM   #70
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ I think RPJOB was referring to a ship described in the series' fifth novel, Precipice. In a scene featuring T'Prynn and Pennington, on page 74, last paragraph:
“No, Mister Pennington. We are going to steal one.” She wasted no time selecting a ship. “That one,” she said, nodding at a teardrop-shaped craft with a protruding pod on the starboard side.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2012, 08:22 PM   #71
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

David Mack wrote: View Post
^ I think RPJOB was referring to a ship described in the series' fifth novel, Precipice. In a scene featuring T'Prynn and Pennington, on page 74, last paragraph:
“No, Mister Pennington. We are going to steal one.” She wasted no time selecting a ship. “That one,” she said, nodding at a teardrop-shaped craft with a protruding pod on the starboard side.
Oh! I missed that.
Old November 10 2012, 11:29 PM   #72
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

^That's awesome, I missed it too
Old November 11 2012, 01:23 AM   #73
Sho
Fleet Captain

There's also some cuteness around "nymock" creatures (play on "mynock") in the same section IIRC.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2012, 10:25 AM   #74
Mage
Commodore

David Mack wrote: View Post
Loved that, one of the geekiest moments in TrekLit. I had to read it three times to make sure I didn't misread it.
Old November 11 2012, 02:43 PM   #75
Christopher
Writer

I don't think I ever would've read that as a Millennium Falcon reference. When I read "teardrop-shaped," I visualize something that's shaped that way three-dimensionally, kinda like the fuselage of SpaceShipOne or the Protector from Galaxy Quest. To me, the Falcon is a saucer-shaped ship with "pincers" on the front.

And why is a reference to Star Wars geekier than a whole novel about Star Trek?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote