Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old October 30 2012, 03:45 AM   #16
AmbassadorKosh
Lieutenant

Re: Making Sense of TOS Auxiliary Control

Excellent points all around. As far as the weapons go, I was working from a strictly on the small screen point of view, so I didn't take the additional phasers in the secondary hull into consideration. The same goes for the information in TMoST, that the ship has the capability to seperate and reintegrate the two hulls like E-D could. I don't know why, but this thread sparked my interst and ideas behind the workings of the Enterprise more than most.
AmbassadorKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 04:11 AM   #17
mickemoose
Ensign

Just a thought, but is it possible that aux. control could somehow be tied-in with engineering? It doesn't appear to be physically located within engineering itself because we can see the main corridor just outside the red doors.

However, in "And The Children Shall Lead," Scotty is doing an inspection round inside aux. control which is occupied by two red-shirted, engineering technicians.

http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...nshall_197.jpg

Why would the chief engineer be monitoring aux. control if it wasn't associated with his department? Since Scotty spent most of his time in engineering, could this mean that aux. control might be located within close proximity to engineering, thus, suggesting a location within the engineering hull?

A possible hole in this argument would be "The Way to Eden" where a gold-shirted crewman is sitting at the control monitor in aux. control when Sevrin and one of his hippies enter in and sneak up behind him.

http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...toeden_289.jpg

This would suggest that aux. control in nonexclusive to engineering personnel and may be monitored by other crewmembers, also. In this case, aux. control need not be located in the engineering hull.
mickemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 09:02 AM   #18
Timo
Admiral

...Also, Scotty's engineering responsibilities do seem to take him around. The existence of multiple engine rooms has already been discussed: if we're to believe that there can be no curved corridors in the secondary hull, then all the episodes showing the connection between the engineering set and the curved corridor set necessarily mean that Scotty spends time in the saucer.

On the other hand, we already have to rather fundamentally accept that the curvature of the set we see cannot match the curvature of all the corridors it supposedly portrays. If the set only has one curvature, it can only have one radius, making logistics in the saucer rather unbearable.

On the other hand, curving corridors need not mean circular ones, as later seen in VOY. The ship's outer hull is curved at all locations, including the secondary hull and the connecting neck. So even if we go by Peter's adage of sticking 100% to what we see, and not deviating even ten degrees, we might insert the curved set in places we find advantageous without centering the curve on the saucer axis... Too bad that the engineering set is at such an acute angle wrt the corridor!

One thing to note is that aux. control doesn't appear to be laid out on the same ergonomic principles as the main bridge (regardless of whether we find those principles sensible or not). We get the general impression of a semicircle, its flat back wall against a corridor; it would be rather reasonable to assume the facility faces forward, then, and sits somewhere forward in the hull (whichever hull that happens to be), rather than, say, at the center axis of the saucer. "Doomsday Machine" also has our heroes almost walking past the room where Decker sits, suggesting auxiliary control might feature a string of rooms along the corridor; the one with Decker and the big control pulpit might hold no special status among these, then.

So, how about a side-by-side trio of rooms that all have this console, and are basically "mission rooms" that can act as headquarters for a planetside survey or other complicated operation, giving the team leader direct access to key ship systems as needed by that specific mission? This would be their main raison d'etrê, and the characteristics dictated by this role would conveniently allow for an (emergency-only) secondary role as a fallback control center. We'd again be dealing with a maze of sorts, the "center" in the name essentially meaning "cluster" or "concentration" of auxiliary control facilities (and conveniently explaining minor set discrepancies).

Since the rooms would not exactly be gathering dust during non-emergencies, it would be all the more plausible for villains to wander in alongside the legitimate users and then effect a takeover.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 01:55 PM   #19
blssdwlf
Commodore

For the most part, I see no problem with partially curved corridors in the Engineering hull simply because the shape is a tapered, slightly curved cigar. It's the showing of the entire full curved corridor set for one of those walking camera shots that doesn't fit. Thankfully, TOS for the most part showed only sections at a time so it really isn't a factor with the Engine rooms except for in "The Ultimate Computer"

In "The Way to Eden" the U-shaped corridor outside of the Aux Control Room has a very tight turn but it could go almost anywhere on the ship although we're suppose to believe it's on Deck 8 based on "I, Mudd", IIRC although it could be a second Aux Control Room....
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 03:45 PM   #20
mickemoose
Ensign

Near the end of "The Way to Eden," Sevrin and his group of hippies are not shown running from aux. control to the hangar bay after they paralyze the crew with the ultrasonic frequency. So, we don't know how long it took them to get from point A to point B.

Had the group been shown inside the turbolift going through many deck levels until they reach the hangar bay deck, that would've been a clue that aux. control was a considerable distance from the hangar bay - suggesting a location in the saucer.

Conversely, if the hippies had been shown running through the corridors for a short time (without using the turbolift) until they arrived at the hangar, that might possibly indicate that aux. control was in the engineering hull.
mickemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 04:45 PM   #21
Robert Comsol
Commodore

I've spent the last weeks drafting deck plans for the engineering hull that as much as possible accurately accomodate all the sets and corridors we've seen in the series and include a feasible turbolift system. I started below at engineering deck 14 and almost literally worked my way up to arrive today on deck 8 - where I placed the Auxilary Control Room in the bow. So I apologize being late to this discussion.

The way I see it, the information from "I, Mudd", that Auxilary Control is on deck 8, has led to the widespread assumption it's on deck 8 in the saucer hull (although there is no such hint in The Making of ST).

However, as I suggested in another discussion, some decks on the ship are identified by their function with an alphabetic letter:
"H deck" ("Naked Time") is hangar deck or engineering deck 13,
"B deck" ("Court Martial") is berth deck or main deck 6 etc.

If main deck 8 would actually be the "R(ecreation) Deck", there'd be no need in the ship's lingo to refer to "engineering deck 8" as every man and woman aboard would understand "deck 8" to be engineering deck 8 as main deck 8 is R deck.
If main deck 2 would actually be the Quarterdeck or Q deck, then "deck 2" ("Enterprise Incident") would instantly become engineering deck 2.

As we've seen in the series, there are two locations in the saucer from where the ship can be controlled: The Bridge and the "Engine Control Room" ("Naked Time", "Space Seed"). I think yet another location to be rather redundant.

As for the operation of the engineering hull or star-drive section without the saucer - as suggested by The Making of ST -the engineering hull should obviously have some kind of bridge and that's where Auxilary Control comes in (and if it's on engineering deck 8, then Scotty's ladder descent to the "Engineering Section" of the Constellation makes perfect sense in "Doomsday Machine", IMHO).
And then, there's of course the "Emergency Manual Monitor" on the upper level of the engineering section from Season Two onwards.

The one thing I'm trying to make sense of is the location of "Life Support" in "By Any Other Name". It appears to be the same set as Auxilary Control. I think this one should be on the same deck as the Herbarium, probably (main) deck 8.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 10:25 PM   #22
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Well, "Life Support" is featured only very briefly in a couple of scenes and we only see a wall display and a control desk. So really, we don't know what they whole room looks like.
In a related area of tech, "Environmental Engineering" is featured in Wink of an Eyeand is a redress of that old stalwart, The Briefing Room. We see E.E. a lot in that episode. Perhaps "Life Support" is a monitoring room for E.E?
Mytran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 02:39 PM   #23
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Mytran wrote: View Post
"Well, "Life Support" is featured only very briefly in a couple of scenes and we only see a wall display and a control desk. So really, we don't know what they whole room looks like."
Given the budget limitations under which Matt Jefferies had to suffer (at least Bob Justman expressed a feeling of guilt) I think it's fair to assume that the most part of "Life Support" did look like the Auxilary Control Room set because it appears to be the same set.

Mytran wrote: View Post
"In a related area of tech, "Environmental Engineering" is featured in Wink of an Eye and is a redress of that old stalwart, The Briefing Room. We see E.E. a lot in that episode. Perhaps "Life Support" is a monitoring room for E.E?"
If the "Life Sciences Botanical Section" is on main deck 8 as well as the Herbarium and "Life Support" (in the center) than there's this corridor encircling the area (where Janice brings Sulu his lunch from Turbolift 2 next to Turbolift 7). Looks like "Environmental Engineering" could be on the outside of this corridor. Did The Making of Star Trek indicate a particular deck for "Life Support"?

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote