Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: So which of the Captain's would you want to serve under?
TOS: Captain James Tiberius Kirk 14 21.54%
TNG: Captain Jean-Luc Picard 24 36.92%
DS9: Captain Benjamin Lafayette Sisko 18 27.69%
VOY: Captain Kathryn Janeway 5 7.69%
ENT: Captain Jonathan Archer 3 4.62%
STXI: Captain James Tiberius Kirk AKA Kirk 2.0 1 1.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 5 2012, 06:12 PM   #46
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Which Captain would you want to serve under?

sonak's transporter ghost wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
My absolute preferred choice of Captain to serve with, would be Jellico. Without question.

Sure, he's a hardass. And not the most likable guy. But like I said, it's not his job to be your friend. I trust Jellico more than any other to carry out his mission efficiently, and not to throw away the lives of his crew needlessly.

you want a captain who doesn't care about crew morale and doesn't listen to his subordinates' views very much? OOOkay.

I guess when you're complaining that you're working twenty hour days for weeks at a time and he says "don't cry to me, get it done," you'll be satisfied that he's carrying out his mission efficiently.
There was no indication that was how Jellico normally carried out business. They were getting to be on the frontline of a possible war zone. It amazes me how many people leave that part out. It also amazes me how people leave out that he implemented shorter shifts, which is better for the crew.
Old November 5 2012, 07:22 PM   #47
sonak
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
My absolute preferred choice of Captain to serve with, would be Jellico. Without question.

Sure, he's a hardass. And not the most likable guy. But like I said, it's not his job to be your friend. I trust Jellico more than any other to carry out his mission efficiently, and not to throw away the lives of his crew needlessly.

you want a captain who doesn't care about crew morale and doesn't listen to his subordinates' views very much? OOOkay.

I guess when you're complaining that you're working twenty hour days for weeks at a time and he says "don't cry to me, get it done," you'll be satisfied that he's carrying out his mission efficiently.
There was no indication that was how Jellico normally carried out business. They were getting to be on the frontline of a possible war zone. It amazes me how many people leave that part out. It also amazes me how people leave out that he implemented shorter shifts, which is better for the crew.

I don't see how more shifts is better for the crew. Would you rather work one eight-hour shift in a day, or two six-hour shifts? Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have longer shifts if it means less of them.

A fair point about the circumstances, but it's the only thing we have to go off of, because that's the only time we see him.(is he in any Trek fiction in more relaxed circumstances?)
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 07:42 PM   #48
T'Cal
Commodore

Ben Maxwell! Kill all of those Cardy bastards!
Old November 5 2012, 07:46 PM   #49
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Kirk.

It's not fair to have two different versions of the character in the poll as it splits the vote.
Agree on both points.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 09:22 PM   #50
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I don't see how more shifts is better for the crew. Would you rather work one eight-hour shift in a day, or two six-hour shifts? Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have longer shifts if it means less of them.

He was switching from three shifts to four. Which would mean people would be going from 8 hours on and 16 off to 6 on and 18 off. The longer someone sits and stares at a screen the worse their response time becomes. The change made for a safer ship and probably increased crew moral in the long run.
Old November 6 2012, 05:00 AM   #51
sonak
Vice Admiral

He was switching from three shifts to four. Which would mean people would be going from 8 hours on and 16 off to 6 on and 18 off. The longer someone sits and stares at a screen the worse their response time becomes. The change made for a safer ship and probably increased crew moral in the long run.

Er, I don't think that's the way it was supposed to work. Four shifts is how you divide the workday, not necessarily four different groups of workers, just shifts. More shifts means more thinly spread personnel.

Given your interpretation, the crew should have been cheering, not complaining. You really think they'd have cared about extra paperwork and adjustment if it meant two less work hours a day?
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 05:04 AM   #52
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I'm sure Jellico's crew on the Cairo weren't constantly bitching about his command style the way that TNG's were. In that case they complained simply because Jellico wasn't Picard.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 05:32 AM   #53
Dream
Admiral

Kirk.

It's not fair to have two different versions of the character in the poll as it splits the vote.
NuKirk only has one vote. So much for a split.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 04:41 AM   #54
KamenRiderBlade
Lieutenant Commander

Why am I not surprised that Picard takes the lead.

KamenRiderBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 01:39 AM   #55
Fastwalker
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Neither! I'm the CAPTAIN!... This is a no-uniform-no-clothing-ship. Young Ensign, engage.
Fastwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 01:42 AM   #56
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

KamenRiderBlade wrote: View Post
Why am I not surprised that Picard takes the lead.

None of us want to die

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 01:20 PM   #57
lurok
Commodore

Sisko or Janeway. Archer would have driven me nuts. Though Sisko's blanking-out/vision thing might be a bit odd.
Old November 9 2012, 07:37 PM   #58
Anika Hanson
Captain

Picard. But the best would be Calhoun.
Old November 10 2012, 12:16 AM   #59
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

The Sisko. We can talk baseball.
Old November 10 2012, 12:49 AM   #60
Bones_McCoy21
Commander

Kirk. Because I want to a scientist and therefore I'm not wearing red. It was either him or Picard, the only thing I've got going for Picard is I'd probably live longer under his command and he wouldn't make advances.