New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 3 2012, 11:38 PM   #1
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

The Host and Continuity

Although the Trill were introduced in "The Host", much of what was established there was overwritten by DS9, from their appearance, to how the joining is more balanced and less the Symbiont dominating the Host, transporters are harmful, reassociation, as well as how the Joined nature of some Trill isn't a mystery (Sisko was friends with Curzon for decades, Bashir knew about them in "Emissary").

So where does that leave the original episode? It's something that I've been pondering on for a day or two.

In my fanfic continuity, I have retconned the original look of the Trill in favour of the spotted variety (seeing as how they were better established) and stick more closely to DS9's portrayal, whilst the transporters harming Joined Trill may be so for a small minority, but for most it isn't an issue.
Old November 5 2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Timo
Admiral

Re: The Host and Continuity

"The Host" establishes that a Trill host can look like just about anything: we see two ridge-faced individuals, but also one beard-faced fellah from the species H.sapiens. DS9 is simply consistent with that, by introducing another new look among the many.

As for a "balanced" joining, I don't really see signs of that in DS9. The slug just plain takes over and has fun with the host body. At most, Dax sometimes bothers with using the name of the host. Perhaps Odan did that on weekends, too?

And "transporters harming" was bullshit from the get-go. Odan just didn't want a transporter operator using his parasite filter and exposing Odan's secret that way. Odan and Dax alike could beam safely by informing the transporter operator beforehand - and would die alike if failing to inform him.

There aren't different sorts of Trill. There is just one sort, the ugly slug. The rest is mere decoration and subterfuge. Sometimes the slugs take ridgeheaded or bearded hosts, but generally they prefer the Lexus of humanoids, the spotted Kriosian species (many individuals of which live on planet Trill and are considered Trill by citizenship, regardless of their species). And they blatantly lie to their hosts about how crucial the various parameters are for a proper match, so that they could keep on choosing as they please.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 11:36 AM   #3
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
As for a "balanced" joining, I don't really see signs of that in DS9. The slug just plain takes over and has fun with the host body.
I can't think of a single example of the symbiote completely dominating the host in DS9.

All of Dax's hosts have wildly varying personalities, which would seemingly preclude Dax being the sole pilot.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

It's just a bit of a retcon like everything else - in The Host the symbiont took over the host's body, in DS9 it's a merging of the two.

No need to over-think it too much, just the evolution of a concept when it jumped from a one-shot TNG episode to being used regularly in DS9.
Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 07:33 PM   #5
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
The slug just plain takes over and has fun with the host body.
I can't think of a single example of the symbiote completely dominating the host in DS9.
In Jadzia's case it might have been a slower take over than Timo is describing, Jadzia did over time transform into the "Klingon Party-girl." That is not the Jadzia we first saw, and may have been an example of Dax gradually asserting itself upon Jadzia's personality, over writing it.

Given a few more years of DS9, Ezra herself might have transformed into another copy of the "Klingon Party-girl.'

Sandoval wrote: View Post
in The Host the symbiont took over the host's body
To be fair, the slug took over Riker. It's hard to say if the slug cold take over the species of the female who was the third host in that episode.

Some have described her initial demeaner as "stiff." Instead I was describe it as "scared." Her situation was similar to Ezra's. She was the only suitable long term host in range and the circumstances choose her. She might not have wanted to be a host at all, civic duty took over.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 10:42 PM   #6
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Wasn't this retconed in the books somehow?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 12:45 AM   #7
Tiberius
Commodore

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
In my fanfic continuity, I have retconned the original look of the Trill in favour of the spotted variety (seeing as how they were better established) and stick more closely to DS9's portrayal, whilst the transporters harming Joined Trill may be so for a small minority, but for most it isn't an issue.
Well, we saw that Odan was waving the technodoodle thing over his belly, so it may be that the symbiont was recovering from some medical procedure and that had weakened it to a point where the transporter would kill it.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 12:50 AM   #8
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Wasn't this retconed in the books somehow?
If you're referring to the appearance, yes it was:

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 01:05 AM   #9
R. Star
Rear Admiral

I've heard it said that Riker was completely taken over because he wasn't Trill and couldn't form a symbiosis with the symbiant. Sorta makes sense.
Old November 6 2012, 12:53 PM   #10
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

He iust wanted to ad Crusher to his list.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 03:13 PM   #11
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
In Jadzia's case it might have been a slower take over than Timo is describing, Jadzia did over time transform into the "Klingon Party-girl." That is not the Jadzia we first saw, and may have been an example of Dax gradually asserting itself upon Jadzia's personality, over writing it.
I'm sure I read/saw somewhere that the original idea for Dax was a wise old sage in a young woman's body, but over time they realised that she was the kind of person who was always up for an adventure, so her character changed over time.

It kind of fits as well, seeing as how adjusting to being Joined would take time and adjustment to find the balance between both halves and all the previous lives.
Old November 7 2012, 12:14 AM   #12
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
A strain of the Klingon Augment virus manages to infect a Trill colony. That's why some Trill hosts had ridges.
This sort of need to explain away stuff done by the makeup department just makes me shake my head...
Old November 7 2012, 12:46 AM   #13
Tiberius
Commodore

A strain of the Klingon Augment virus manages to infect a Trill colony. That's why some Trill hosts had ridges.
This sort of need to explain away stuff done by the makeup department just makes me shake my head...
Yeah, enough with the fanwanking.

Next we're going to be hearing about how the Enterprise was using a new weapons system based on the Cardassian Dreadnaught with torpedoes that are equipped with warp engines, phasers and other cool stuff, and they were using one in "Darmok". Unfortunately, when the phaser systems went offline, the only phaser emitter they had was on their experimental torpedo, which was unfortunately stuck in the torpedo tube because geordi had got the measurements wrong. Luckily they were able to fire the phaser beam from the spiffy torpedo out through the end of the torpedo launcher, and that's why we see phaser fire coming from the torpedo tube.

Geez, just let it go, people!!!
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 12:55 AM   #14
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Tosk wrote: View Post
As for a "balanced" joining, I don't really see signs of that in DS9. The slug just plain takes over and has fun with the host body.

All of Dax's hosts have wildly varying personalities, which would seemingly preclude Dax being the sole pilot.
Dax does mention in one ep (I'd have to look it up - it's one of the earlier ones where she's helping to train an initiate) that the grueling nature of the training is an unpleasant necessity, to ensure that the symbiont's traits don't dominate the host's. She also mentions in the same episode that she still gets echoes and sensations associated with those of her former hosts, and not specifically with Jadzia. Those traits can surface in some ways even in the most ideal balance for a joined Trill, and presumably is just part of the experience.

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 01:00 AM   #15
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Ti-BOO!-rius wrote: View Post
Yeah, enough with the fanwanking.

Next we're going to be hearing about how the Enterprise was using a new weapons system based on the Cardassian Dreadnaught with torpedoes that are equipped with warp engines, phasers and other cool stuff, and they were using one in "Darmok". Unfortunately, when the phaser systems went offline, the only phaser emitter they had was on their experimental torpedo, which was unfortunately stuck in the torpedo tube because geordi had got the measurements wrong. Luckily they were able to fire the phaser beam from the spiffy torpedo out through the end of the torpedo launcher, and that's why we see phaser fire coming from the torpedo tube.

Geez, just let it go, people!!!
Amen brother.