Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 6 2012, 11:34 PM   #766
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

I think their relationship is doomed. He's the flyboy badboy of the youth she didn't have being raised for public service. He'll get bored with the duties and she'll get bored with the attitude.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 11:50 PM   #767
Slurms MacKenzi
Lieutenant Junior Grade

It'd totally undermine his arc in the OT if he dumps Leia and returns to smuggling.
Slurms MacKenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 11:56 PM   #768
teacake
Admiral

I'm talking 10+ years later. And I didn't say he returns to smuggling, just that it's doomed, especially if there is an extended time of peace.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 7 2012, 12:03 AM   #769
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

teacock wrote: View Post
I think their relationship is doomed. He's the flyboy badboy of the youth she didn't have being raised for public service. He'll get bored with the duties and she'll get bored with the attitude.
With the love of repeated dialogue and situations in the franchise you could almost imagine him being confronted by Luke's son.

'No. I am your father'
Old November 7 2012, 12:07 AM   #770
teacake
Admiral

I read that as "comforted" rather than "confronted". That was interesting.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 7 2012, 12:09 AM   #771
sojourner
Admiral

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
Harrison Ford is the obvious one of the original actors to return, a la Leonard Nimoy, to pass the torch to the younger actors who are going to be playing the brand-name characters.

Ford is a bankable name. Hamill and Fischer aren't. Being bankable compensates for the wrinkles.

I can see them going with a scenario like, Ford as Old Han, reminiscing on his deathbed about the terrible and dramatic events in the long ago past...as a framing device to stories of the younger (recast) characters...

Then you get maximum value of all the brand names: Star Wars, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Harrison Ford (who is the only actor who is also a brand and therefore valuable to Disney). And you don't scare away the young audience by making them look at a bunch of codgers for two hours.

So we know from the start that, whatever happens, Han doesn't die. That's okay if he's the only one whose fate is known. Maybe everyone else croaks in the course of the three movies, or go dark side or whatever.
Do you have any actual indication that these iconic roles will be recast beyond some self delusion that it's all about "the demographics"?
Old November 7 2012, 12:11 AM   #772
teacake
Admiral

No one seemed to mind that the OT had plenty of "old codger" Obi Wan.

And no, Alec Guinness was not a hip name among teens of the time.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 7 2012, 12:20 AM   #773
Slurms MacKenzi
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm talking 10+ years later. And I didn't say he returns to smuggling, just that it's doomed, especially if there is an extended time of peace.
By the end of ROTJ, Han had become pretty domesticated. He could easily become similar to Lando in ESB while staying with Leia: responsible and diplomatic while using his charm to succeed in some larger role in the government.
Slurms MacKenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 12:23 AM   #774
lurok
Commodore

If it's not a grumpy old Ford, I'm not interested.
Old November 7 2012, 12:23 AM   #775
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Slurms MacKenzi wrote: View Post
By the end of ROTJ, Han had become pretty domesticated. He could easily become similar to Lando in ESB while staying with Leia: responsible and diplomatic while using his charm to succeed in some larger role in the government.
And that's why I don't need to see him again. His story, his life of adventure, is over. Who would want to see a "successful" diplomat Han Solo? Sounds AWFUL.

Lando, at least, had some shades of grey.
Old November 7 2012, 12:25 AM   #776
Skywalker
Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
Harrison Ford is the obvious one of the original actors to return, a la Leonard Nimoy, to pass the torch to the younger actors who are going to be playing the brand-name characters.

Ford is a bankable name. Hamill and Fischer aren't. Being bankable compensates for the wrinkles.

I can see them going with a scenario like, Ford as Old Han, reminiscing on his deathbed about the terrible and dramatic events in the long ago past...as a framing device to stories of the younger (recast) characters...

Then you get maximum value of all the brand names: Star Wars, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Harrison Ford (who is the only actor who is also a brand and therefore valuable to Disney). And you don't scare away the young audience by making them look at a bunch of codgers for two hours.

So we know from the start that, whatever happens, Han doesn't die. That's okay if he's the only one whose fate is known. Maybe everyone else croaks in the course of the three movies, or go dark side or whatever.
Do you have any actual indication that these iconic roles will be recast beyond some self delusion that it's all about "the demographics"?
No, she doesn't.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 12:25 AM   #777
Dream
Admiral

Have you read any of the SW books that take place after ROTJ?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 12:26 AM   #778
teacake
Admiral

Slurms MacKenzi wrote: View Post
We saw him for 5 minutes at the end of a battle. Everything was still VERY exciting regardless of him being on the right side of the law. I would hardly call this domesticated.

Let him be married and up to his neck in diplomacy for ten years and we'll see how happy he is with domestication. He's going to get bored and she's going to get irritated with his boredom.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 7 2012, 12:27 AM   #779
teacake
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
All I ever read was the Thrawn trilogy but that was a long time ago and I can't remember a thing about it.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 7 2012, 12:31 AM   #780
Dream
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
All I ever read was the Thrawn trilogy but that was a long time ago and I can't remember a thing about it.
I would say the Thrawn trilogy were the only great Star Wars books. The author did a good job writing a believable Han and Leia married relationship too.

Most of what happens later is pretty... well... stupid.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote