TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old November 6 2012, 11:57 AM   #361
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Re: My Trek Through Enterprise: Season One

I really enjoyed "North Star," though I think it was kind of out of place in Season Three. It just seemed odd that they'd take time out of their oh-so-important mission to save Earth so that they could play cowboys. The episode might have fit better in one of the other three seasons.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 12:00 PM   #362
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

eh, at least it wasn't a baseball game

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 12:05 PM   #363
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

I liked "Take Me Out to the Holosuite," too.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 01:37 PM   #364
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

When I think of Season 3, "North Star" always seems to stand out, so I will say hat that is probably the top episode of the season. The other two are rather forgettable and don't really do much. So for Star I would rate it a C, with the others being F's.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 02:24 PM   #365
R. Star
Rear Admiral

teacock wrote: View Post
How dare you speak of "Take me out to the Holosuite" with anything less than awe and reverence!

I dunno, Cowboys in Space didn't even make much sense to me. Beyond the obvious time displacement bit. If they'd been there that long, and they had clear access to a post-industrial level of technology you think they'd have evolved. Maybe not as far as the rest of Earth being there weren't that many of them, but further than the old West.

Similitude kinda struck me as a cheap rip off of Tuvix in a way. A very similar moral dilemma the only difference really being Sim takes the noble way out and Archer doesn't have to make himself look like a murdering hypocrite.

Carpenter Street... ugh. More time travel. As if the Xindi weren't threatening enough with their Death Star ripoff now they're time travelling to destroy humanity too. Sad part is beyond driving home the point "the Xindi are bad" which I'd think millions of dead in Florida to Columbia would have established by now, it really serves no purpose to the overall arc save as a one shot "adventure."
Old November 6 2012, 04:48 PM   #366
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Zombie Redshirt wrote: View Post
Cowboys in Space didn't even make much sense to me. Beyond the obvious time displacement bit. If they'd been there that long, and they had clear access to a post-industrial level of technology you think they'd have evolved. Maybe not as far as the rest of Earth being there weren't that many of them, but further than the old West.
Can't agree with you there. Remember, not only were they the only humans around, they'd lost all their written history. What would they re-create? Printing presses, when the population's too small to need anything beyond gossip? Trains? To go where?

I agree it would have fit better in the first two seasons, but I'm glad we got it at all.

Also: "North Star" made a hell of a lot more sense than the Firefly 'verse, and with about a hundredth of the affectation.

Carpenter Street... ugh. More time travel. As if the Xindi weren't threatening enough with their Death Star ripoff now they're time travelling to destroy humanity too. Sad part is beyond driving home the point "the Xindi are bad" which I'd think millions of dead in Florida to Columbia would have established by now, it really serves no purpose to the overall arc save as a one shot "adventure."
Yeah, and what's this crap about needing samples of all blood types to create a supervirus? Last time I checked, most viruses (such as, say, HIV) don't give a damn if you B POS, AB, O...
Gaith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 06:19 PM   #367
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Can't agree with you there. Remember, not only were they the only humans around, they'd lost all their written history. What would they re-create? Printing presses, when the population's too small to need anything beyond gossip? Trains? To go where?

I agree it would have fit better in the first two seasons, but I'm glad we got it at all.

Also: "North Star" made a hell of a lot more sense than the Firefly 'verse, and with about a hundredth of the affectation.
I never actually watched Firefly. Everyone says it's great, but it was canceled. So either it wasn't that great or I'd just be setting myself up for disappointment.

To the points you make on North Star, your comment on their population brings up another good point. There should be enough people to fill a continent by now. Especially back then, people had lots of kids. They had to grow their food, get water for them and their farms, get metal for their smithies, get timber for their houses, and so forth. There would be every reason for them to expand and figure out better ways of transporting their metal/timber, irrigating their crops, etc. Just because they're in a comparatively primitive setting doesn't mean they're stupid. While the chances of their smaller population producing AS MANY people who figure new things out and implement them is less than that of Earth, they still shouldn't be completely stagnant. Except that the writers just randomly decided they wanted to do a "Cowboys in Space" episode.
Old November 6 2012, 06:57 PM   #368
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

On Firefly, as far as setting yourself up for disappointment, the Movie Serenity, actually ties it up pretty well, so, although, it would've been nice to see it play out in longer form, it does have a satisfactory ending.

I'm not as "In Love With it" as many are, but, it's definitely a good Series, and worth watching

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 09:55 PM   #369
teacake
Fleet Admiral

How dare you speak of "Take me out to the Holosuite" with anything less than awe and reverence!
Eh even leaving aside the war arc interruption sports episodes are a huge for me. It could have been worse though, it could have been the all too often employed boxing episode.

I never actually watched Firefly. Everyone says it's great, but it was canceled. So either it wasn't that great or I'd just be setting myself up for disappointment.
It's not really disappointing since you know going in it's only 13 eps and a movie. Think of it as a fun little treasure you don't have to invest too much time in.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 6 2012, 10:32 PM   #370
lurok
Commodore

I never saw Firefly:The Series either but did catch the movie, which I enjoyed. For what it was. Though I'm sure a lot went waaay over my head I don't mind Take Me Out...either (far less than the insufferable Paper Moon), but still think North Star is a better divertissement.
Old November 6 2012, 10:33 PM   #371
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I think we should do a Firefly watch/rewatch thread in the future.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 6 2012, 10:36 PM   #372
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Eh even leaving aside the war arc interruption sports episodes are a huge for me. It could have been worse though, it could have been the all too often employed boxing episode.

It's not really disappointing since you know going in it's only 13 eps and a movie. Think of it as a fun little treasure you don't have to invest too much time in.
US soldiers have played baseball in every war since the Civil War. A war isn't a 24/7 orgy of violence, there are down times. I was annoyed by half of the season 7 episodes before the final arc focusing on Ezri being more of a distraction than that jewel.

As for Firefly, I may get to it someday. I'm actually rewatching Hercules and Xena back from the 90's right now and have a long way to go on that one before I get bored. Then might take up B5 next on my sci-fi/fantasy watching hobby.
Old November 6 2012, 10:36 PM   #373
lurok
Commodore

I'm game. And rope in ZR. Hopefully I'll have finished my West Wing first-time-watch by then. (Just finishing series 1).
Old November 6 2012, 10:43 PM   #374
teacake
Fleet Admiral

ZR, I just don't do sports. I'm not saying it's a bad ep, just not one I particularly enjoyed. However I certainly get it that, especially if you are a baseball fan, this would be quite a fun episode. And yes I know people have down times during a war, it just wasn't interesting to me to watch episodes about it when there had been many many non-arc down time episodes in DS9 already. I was into the drive of the war arc and I wanted to stay there, not get taken out of it and especially not to any kind of holosuite whether it was Fontaine or baseball.

If someone does a Firefly watch thread PM me in case I don't see it in the SF forum, I'm pretty sure SW will be over running the place very soon. I've got the set so I can watch it any time, would love to read a first time watch thread. The best part about Firefly IMO was the setting and detail of it, the world itself. And naked Nathan Fillion wasn't bad either.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 6 2012, 10:45 PM   #375
Miss Lemon
Fleet Captain

Count me in as well! I've never watched Firefly but I used to be a huge Buffy fan in the old days.

I must be the only ENT fan who's not a fan of North Star....

Hercule Poirot
: I am an imbecile. I see only half of the picture.
Miss Lemon: I don't even see that.
Miss Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote