Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old November 4 2012, 09:33 PM   #1
StarTrekBegins
Ensign

Star Trek Begins Web Series

STAR TREK BEGINS is a new nonprofit web series in preproduction that will chronicle the voyages of Captain Pike and his first crew aboard the USS Enterprise.

Star Trek Begins is based on Gene Roddenberry's 'The Cage' pilot and its crew along with some new original TOS based characters. The web series is set in the original series universe but with a twist. Star Trek Begins is being done as if Roddenberry had created the series today using modern sets, costumes, props, video technology, and computer visual effects.

Star Trek Begins is more a "re-imaging" of the TOS universe than a "reboot" (like the Abrams film), and will follow Trek canon more closely in relationship to its time period in Trek history, while making the established universe fresh and new visually. The web series will be familiar yet different. The Kirk command of the Enterprise will still happen in the future, but this web series is about the early Pike command years of the Enterprise.

Star Trek Begins is the manifestation of our passion for Star Trek, for film making, and for our artistic need to be creative in our own way. Unlike most Trek web series that are created by fans who turn filmmakers, we are filmmakers that are also fans and will use professional and semi professional actors in our series. The production design of the web series will be more akin to the TOS movies.

We hope you will join us for our unique vision of the original Star Trek universe.

Thanks you!

http://www.star-trek-begins.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Star-T...64113897042141

STAR TREK and all related marks, logos, and characters are owned by CBS Studios Inc. The STAR TREK BEGINS website and Facebook page, the promotion thereof and/or any exhibition of material created by STAR TREK BEGINS are not endorsed or sponsored by or affiliated with CBS/Paramount Pictures or the STAR TREK franchise.
StarTrekBegins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 12:48 AM   #2
J.C. England
Lieutenant

Re: Star Trek Begins Web Series

Very cool!
The exec producers (with Starship Ajax) I work with had this idea
in mind just prior to creating Ajax instead... The Cage was the
creation of Trek, and Pike's crew is still paramount (no pun intended)
with its fans. Lots of original stories to be created & watched.
Good luck to all involved!
J.C. England is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 03:18 AM   #3
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Is this a film? Live action or animation? If not a film, audio, prose, what?
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Bixby
Commander

Barb, if you look at their Facebook page, looks like they have a warehouse that will be used as a set, they have prop phasers and communicators, and primary-coloured duty uniforms. My guess is it'll be a live-action web series
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

Bixby wrote: View Post
Barb, if you look at their Facebook page, looks like they have a warehouse that will be used as a set, they have prop phasers and communicators, and primary-coloured duty uniforms. My guess is it'll be a live-action web series
Thanks, you looked at it better than I did! I listed them, (http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/210.html(B)) but now I'll list them as "Live Action". Everything but that empty room I was thinking, "Is this live action 3d, or maybe puppets?" Given that puppets are unlikely... I'm going with your interpretation!

Any idea WHERE they are?
Old November 6 2012, 10:21 PM   #6
Bixby
Commander

I googled Deano Pictures, one of the four production companies mentioned on their website home page, which led me to Deano's Youtube page which had Dean Garris' name on it (he's the producer/writer/director for the web series). It mentions he is based in North Carolina...

Do I win a Sherlock Holmes prize?
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 01:18 AM   #7
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Looks interesting. I'm a little perplexed by the mishmash of props and sets and time period, but I'm going to keep an open mind and wait till the first film is complete to reserve judgment. I hope you guys will keep us updated!
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 01:25 AM   #8
therealsb63
Lieutenant

Star Trek Begins shows a lot of promise. It's not made clear in the above info, but I've conversed with the guys from STB on their FB page and website. Contrary to what they posted above, they told me the series will take place in the New Timeline, but PRIOR to ST2009...you see, the Enterprise in ST2009, in STB's reality, is the second ship to bear the name Enterprise...the ship in STB is the ORIGINAL starship Enterprise, first commanded by Captain Robert April, and during the series under the command of Christopher Pike.

At least that's what the person who runs their FB page told me.

I'm not sure which I'm looking forward to more, Star Trek Begins or Star Trek: Axanar, but both fan shows look to be really interesting.
Old November 7 2012, 01:27 AM   #9
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

It will be impressive enough if either production can complete their film.

I don't say that as a negative, more out of realistic expectation - too often a group tries to launch a production, only to have real life interfere. Many fan films are started; few are actually completed.

I sincerely hope both of these will be completed and released.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 01:34 AM   #10
therealsb63
Lieutenant

That's what makes efforts like James Cawley's all the more impressive, that they can keep production going for so many years now...and their work just keeps getting better.
Old November 7 2012, 05:04 PM   #11
CaptainSerek
Commander

View CaptainSerek's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to CaptainSerek Send a message via AIM to CaptainSerek Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to CaptainSerek Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainSerek

Site bookmarked, check. Facebook page liked, check. Waiting for updates, check. Good luck.
Old November 8 2012, 05:58 PM   #12
xortex
Commodore

Barbreader wrote: View Post
Thanks, you looked at it better than I did! I listed them, (http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/210.html(B)) but now I'll list them as "Live Action". Everything but that empty room I was thinking, "Is this live action 3d, or maybe puppets?" Given that puppets are unlikely... I'm going with your interpretation!

Any idea WHERE they are?
Sock puppets, the way Gene Roddenberry originally intended.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2012, 11:38 PM   #13
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Looks interesting.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2012, 12:03 AM   #14
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

North Carolina huh? That's where I be at, maybe I could pitch in depending on the location.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2012, 03:30 AM   #15
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

I googled Deano Pictures, one of the four production companies mentioned on their website home page, which led me to Deano's Youtube page which had Dean Garris' name on it (he's the producer/writer/director for the web series). It mentions he is based in North Carolina...

Do I win a Sherlock Holmes prize?
Yes, I hereby declare you the winner of the Sherlock Holmes Award for November, 2012.