Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old November 5 2012, 02:17 AM   #1
Anduril
Captain

WASD

I'm sure most PC gamers use this for their keyboard layout. Ive always used ASDF. D for forward, S for backwards, F for strafe right, and A for strafe left. WASD just isn't comfortable for my hand. I don't know what my point is, I just feel under represented.
Old November 5 2012, 05:43 AM   #2
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Re: WASD

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.... just thinking of playing like that is making my head hurt
Old November 5 2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Reverend
Rear Admiral

The thing with WASD is that it leaves your little finger free to hold down Ctrl or Shift to do thing like crouch and run. It also leaves various other buttons like TAB, Q, E, F, R & X in easy reach for things like Use, Reload, Switch weapons, Flashlight etc. etc. and all while keeping your thumb resting on the spacebar.

I've known of some people that use "ESDF" (same as WASD moved over one space) to free up the Q,A,& Z keys for extra functions, but never heard of anyone using "ASDF" before. Frankly it sounds cumbersome and I imagine with that arrangement you'd have to keep switching positions if you want to do anything other than move jump and shoot...which I suppose to be fair is all some games involve...
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 04:13 PM   #4
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Took me a while to re-learn how to move with modern games, having grown up using the arrow keys on the right hand and sometimes other functions on the left. No mouse.
Old November 5 2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Anduril
Captain

I use C for run and V for crouch. I use my index finger for those, so I can still run forward or backwards.
Old November 5 2012, 06:33 PM   #6
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Rothschild wrote: View Post
I don't know what my point is, I just feel under represented.

-----------

I like thumbsticks, mate *ducks*
Old November 5 2012, 07:37 PM   #7
RESPCT
SPCTRE

View RESPCT's Twitter Profile

Rothschild wrote: View Post
I'm sure most PC gamers use this for their keyboard layout. Ive always used ASDF. D for forward, S for backwards, F for strafe right, and A for strafe left. WASD just isn't comfortable for my hand. I don't know what my point is, I just feel under represented.
You sir, are insane.

No offense.
“Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.”
— Windows UI designer J. Miller
RESPCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 06:47 AM   #8
Seventh White Boomer
Rear Admiral

If you can use ASDF I don't understand how WASD makes your hand uncomfortable...you are coming at WASD from the bottom of the keyboard, right?
Seventh White Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 07:53 AM   #9
FreddyE
Commander

I absolutley HATE WASD! And I hate it if its hardcoded into a game that doesn´t have the option of setting the keys yourself. I prefer to use a gamepad anyway.
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 09:17 AM   #10
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

I've never been able to use WASD. I'm always getting lost and have to search out the buttons again. Not good in a fast paced game. So I'm strictly an arrow key user. With Shift,Control, and Enter for crouching, jumping, etc.

and of course the mouse.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 03:35 PM   #11
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

I got used to the arrow keys when I was a kid. Later on, I got accustomed to WASD. I do think for things like first-person shooters, WASD plus a mouse is the only way to go. As some others pointed out, WASD lets you also hit E, Q, Tab, Left Shift, and Left Ctrl, without missing a beat. Gives my pinky a good workout.

That said, I also like games that I can control mostly with the numeric keypad (like the Civ games.)
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 03:50 PM   #12
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I've never been able to use WASD. I'm always getting lost and have to search out the buttons again. Not good in a fast paced game. So I'm strictly an arrow key user. With Shift,Control, and Enter for crouching, jumping, etc.

and of course the mouse.
Yup. As someone that uses the mouse with my left hand, the arrow keys make the most sense for me. For a very small number of games where I need direction and roll keys (such as Kerbal Space Program) I use 4-9 on the num pad.
Old November 6 2012, 04:58 PM   #13
Anduril
Captain

Jon-o'-lantern wrote: View Post
If you can use ASDF I don't understand how WASD makes your hand uncomfortable...you are coming at WASD from the bottom of the keyboard, right?
Right. How does everyone else use WASD? Do you use the ring finger for W and the middle finger for S? That's what makes my hand uncomfortable.
Old November 6 2012, 05:02 PM   #14
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

You use your ring finger for the A, your middle finger for the S and W (leave it rested on the W), and your index finger for the D, and your thumb rests on the space.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 05:51 PM   #15
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
You use your ring finger for the A, your middle finger for the S and W (leave it rested on the W), and your index finger for the D, and your thumb rests on the space.
Yup. And my pinky normally sits on Left Shift (to run) unless I need it elsewhere.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote