Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 6 2012, 02:54 AM   #451
JD
Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

Wow, that was a crazy episode. I honestly expected Lori to be one of the few characters who was safe, at least for a few more years. I'm thinking at this point we'll just have to throw out the comics when it comes trying to predict where the show will go next. I haven't read them yet, but I've been reading up on them on Wikipedia and they seem to be diverging more and more as the show goes on.
Old November 6 2012, 03:48 AM   #452
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Wow, that was a crazy episode. I honestly expected Lori to be one of the few characters who was safe, at least for a few more years. I'm thinking at this point we'll just have to throw out the comics when it comes trying to predict where the show will go next. I haven't read them yet, but I've been reading up on them on Wikipedia and they seem to be diverging more and more as the show goes on.
Not a comic reader, but, from what I've been following, it seems The Comics can be guide to the next setting, and perhaps inevitable characters that are introduced in those settings. But, yea, it seems Comics folks no longer know what to expect with the Story/Character arcs internally.

I too was really surprised to see T-Dogg and Lori (Especially Lori) go out like that, and tonight of all nights. Also, they really fooled me into believing we'd have a Dual Birthing Scene, the set up just cried out for it

Dayum, Carl, Man...that's gotta suck something fierce
As far as making him a Bad Ass at twice the Comic Rate, well, the kid is already 2 years older (And will be 3 years older next season), so, they're probably trying to keep Carl the right age IRL for his Comic Character's BadAssness

I hope Carol's not gone

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 03:55 AM   #453
propita
Rear Admiral

Immolatus wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Having the baby die would have been the easy way out for the writers. I'm glad it lived for precisely the reasons you listed. It adds complications and complications make for good stories.
their keeping the baby around so they can kill her off later for shock value
The Abominable Dr. Horrible wrote: View Post
What are they gonna do when the baby is screaming its head off and Walkers are attracted to loud sounds.

Shock value would be the baby dying--or being killed--and then reanimating and having to be shot or whatever. They've had a child "shot" and a boy "shoot" his mother (though the trailer made mention "she's not here"), but this may be too far. I use quotes since the people were apparently already dead and reanimated, so it wasn't (to our knowledge) actual killings.

Still, MASH did the second one--having a baby's cry threatening to give away those in hiding. The mother smothered the child so that the bus full of people would not be found. That was what made Hawkeye finally lose it, since he had been saying to shut the kid up. He was deluding himself after the fact that it was a chicken, not a baby, and the true memory nearly broke him.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 03:56 AM   #454
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

The Abominable Dr. Horrible wrote: View Post
What are they gonna do when the baby is screaming its head off and Walkers are attracted to loud sounds.
That's what booze is for.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 05:15 AM   #455
Hugo Rune
Fleet Captain

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/in-me...the-walking-de

Hugo - So long Dawg
Old November 6 2012, 05:15 AM   #456
Ryan
Commodore

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
The down side of the audience knowing more about the Governor than the characters is that we fault them for not immediately seeing what we do.
Didn't Andrea spot Micchone's sword at the Governor's too? That should have been a huge red flag.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 05:25 AM   #457
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Why? They were told he had their weapons from the start.
Mister Fandango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 05:28 AM   #458
Mojochi
Commodore

Powerful episode... but I have to wonder. Lori died... from having her abdomen cut open? Because at the time I just thought she lost consciousness

Did anyone even check her pulse before she got executed? Jesus. Although... I kind of expected Lori to get a send off, the way they had been writing her this season. I didn't see T-Dog coming though, but in hindsight, I should have. For a lot of the reasons people have been mentioning here

I imagine they might find a way to have the soon to be found Carol nurse the baby, whether that's realistic or not
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 05:56 AM   #459
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Mojochi wrote: View Post
I imagine they might find a way to have the soon to be found Carol nurse the baby, whether that's realistic or not
Actually, they're going to be spending the rest of the season looking for her.

And then they'll find her in a barn.
Hugo Rune wrote: View Post
Farewell, Theodore Reginald Douglas III. You were too good for this world.
Old November 6 2012, 07:21 AM   #460
throwback
Captain

Lori was internally bleeding. Maggie had to do an emergency caesarian section to save the child. This wasn't the first time that Lori had a difficult pregnancy. There was the scar of a formal c-section. One of the quotes I saw in the commentary episode was that the actress who played Lori believed that her character knew the pregnancy was a death sentence.

I have the question about the promo.

In the promo, there appeared to be a new type of walkers. These walkers were seen in a fence and in a close-up. They had a different skin color and appeared more aggressive than the normal walker. Is there anything in the comic about this type of walker?

Now, another question.

Walkers eat flesh. They don't eat flesh, they starve. They starve more slowly than the living. How do the walker bodies digest the meat?

As for the governor, I don't know how much of his past life he revealed was real. Even the photo was suspect. A person can photoshop themselves into a picture.

For myself, I believe that with greater numbers, and with adding more people to the mix, a group has a better chance of surviving. If a person proves a threat to the group, the group can punish the wrong-doer. This is why I am having trouble understanding why either Rick or the Governor are so bent on eliminating potential new members, than adding them. I think killing the soldiers was an idiotic move. The soldiers were trained in combat - far more than the civilians, and could have taught the civilians new skills and tactics. On the other hand, considering how poorly the soldiers performed when surprised by civilians, maybe killing these soldiers might have been a good idea. (Were these soldiers regular army or were they national guard? I can't remember)
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 07:26 AM   #461
sojourner
Admiral

I doubt there is a new type of walker.

As for the soldiers, they specifically represented a threat to the governor's leadership in that they were well armed and trained and not used to obeying civilians. The governor has no problem inviting people in small numbers that can be absorbed into his rule. And you said it yourself, the soldiers were surprised and caught in a cross fire, they never had a chance.
Old November 6 2012, 08:56 AM   #462
BigFoot
Admiral

Hugo Rune wrote: View Post

I love the picture they used for Lori.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 09:21 AM   #463
C_Miller
Captain

JD wrote: View Post
Well, as you can probably tell, if they followed the comics, she would have only lasted until the end of the season (maybe even the end of this half).
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 11:04 AM   #464
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Wow, that was brutal. Both the c-section scene and the final prison yard scene were the most wrenching things on the show to date.

Carol is going to freak out when she comes back. She was practicing surgery on zombies so she'd be prepared to save Lori.
Old November 6 2012, 12:33 PM   #465
the G-man
Commodore

Ryan wrote: View Post
Gotham Central wrote: View Post
The down side of the audience knowing more about the Governor than the characters is that we fault them for not immediately seeing what we do.
Didn't Andrea spot Micchone's sword at the Governor's too? That should have been a huge red flag.
Not if she/they believed him when he said he'd give it back when they left.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote