Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old November 6 2012, 04:41 AM   #1
RAMA
Vice Admiral

The most important education technology in 200 years

Education is about to change dramatically, says Anant Agarwal, who heads edX, a $60 million MIT-Harvard effort to stream a college education over the Web, free, with plans to teach a billion student

http://www.technologyreview.com/news...-in-200-years/

http://www.kurzweilai.net/the-most-i...y-in-200-years
Old November 6 2012, 07:18 AM   #2
sojourner
Admiral

Re: The most important education technology in 200 years

Ah, so Mr. Agarwal has finally caught on to this internet thing. Glad he joined the rest of us in the 21st century.
Old November 6 2012, 07:52 AM   #3
gturner
Admiral

Is the format going to have a way that you can videochat with the hot co-eds in class?
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 09:05 AM   #4
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

The most important education tool in the past 200 years is, and probably will be for the next 200, television.
Old November 6 2012, 11:45 AM   #5
gturner
Admiral

I don't know. The pencil and eraser rate way up there, as would the chalk board, but it goes back to 1801 and falls just outside the 200 year limit.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 11:49 AM   #6
RoJoHen
Awesome

In 200 years the most important education technology will be the textbook that delivers information to your brain via osmosis when you fall asleep in class.
Old November 6 2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

RAMA wrote: View Post
Education is about to change dramatically, says Anant Agarwal, who heads edX, a $60 million MIT-Harvard effort to stream a college education over the Web, free, with plans to teach a billion student

http://www.technologyreview.com/news...-in-200-years/

http://www.kurzweilai.net/the-most-i...y-in-200-years
Well, edX is not particularly novel, given all the other free online courses there are.

On top of that, cheating is rampant, which I find puzzling. These are courses with no credit. The only benefit you get is what you learn. And people still don't want to learn, they want to cheat their way through.

Apart from accreditation, the lack of direct interaction with instructors is probably the biggest thing that sets this this sort of system back. Sure, you could have one professor teaching 10,000 students... which means the prof never has time to directly interact with more than a tiny handful of those. If you think things are bad in auditorium-sized college classes now, I can only imagine how much worse the situation is when the class size goes up an order of magnitude (or two.)

It's good that knowledge is becoming cheaper and more accessible, however this is not something we can simply thank online universities for. It's been a growing trend since the Web first came to prominence. People like sharing information, and many of them tend not to mind doing it for free.

Touting this as the "most important education technology in 200 years" is more than a little hyperbole.
Old November 11 2012, 09:16 PM   #8
publiusr
Commodore

I guess I'm an old fogey, but I loved the smell of chalk, the sound of said chalk on the chalkboard. I miss the ways paper and pencil used to smell. There was a scene in "All The President's Men" where they are at the old card catalog, flipping the cards. The foley artist did such great work.

Maybe the web won't kill long-form reading:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/me...s-2313874.html

And maybe it will
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/04/ed.../04laptop.html
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote