Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: The Choices (Select up to 4 only)
J.J. Abrams 25 26.60%
Jon Favreau 16 17.02%
Duncan Jones 21 22.34%
Rian Johnson 3 3.19%
Sam Mendes 6 6.38%
Edgar Wright 5 5.32%
Neill Blomkamp 13 13.83%
Matt Reeves 2 2.13%
Brad Bird 30 31.91%
Frank Darabont 7 7.45%
David Yates 5 5.32%
Matthew Vaughn 10 10.64%
Alfonso Cuarón Orozco 7 7.45%
Guillermo Del Toro 18 19.15%
Ridley Scott 13 13.83%
Other (say whom) 31 32.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 5 2012, 02:44 PM   #136
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Who should be the Director for Star Wars Episode 7?

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
I sometimes suspect Jon Favreau would do a better job of getting the tone right.
You know that's an interesting one because Iron Man was a pretty boring movie, but that doesn't necessarily mean Favreau would bore me with a Star Wars movie. The direction is at least competent and even if the action is insipid and forgettable it shows knowledge of how to shoot a CGI action sequence, so I dunno... I think Favreau would really depend on the script (and the cast, as RDJ elevates his film quite a bit).

He's also plausible in the sense that he's someone who has been part of the recent wave of successful Marvelverse films, but he's not attached to any of their current projects. Joss Whedon is simply just not going to happen because of the amount of pies his thumb is in over at Marvel, but since Favreau is out of the Iron Man game...

Hell, someone like RDJ or someone like him playing a Not-At-All-Han-Solo snarky guy is something a Star Wars movie could use.

Whatever you do, keep Ridley Scott the hell away from it! [...] He completely derailed The Hot Zone & I Am Legend
Ridley Scott didn't direct I Am Legend, I think you're thinking of, well, Legend.

I also don't want Scott involved but that's mostly because I'd like to see the Prometheus sequels.

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
3. His problem is scriptwriting, not story writing or directing, so I say let him finish the story, have someone else write he scripts and let GL get on with what he actually does fairly well.
George Lucas is writing the treatments that will be the basis of these three movies. So in that sense he's 'finishing the story.' Given that he didn't direct two of the OT films, that's a good level of involvement in my opinion. Of course there are those who feel even that is too much.
Old November 5 2012, 02:49 PM   #137
RoJoHen
Awesome

Kegg wrote: View Post
George Lucas is writing the treatments that will be the basis of these three movies.
Doesn't mean somebody else can't edit them.
Old November 5 2012, 05:29 PM   #138
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Jon Favreau, Brad Bird or Neil Blomkamp
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 06:46 PM   #139
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Venardhi wrote: View Post
Whedon the third film when he has wrapped up with current commitment to the Marvel-verse and he can feel free to cut loose with the dramatic deaths of much-loved characters.
No. Even when it has some narrative justification, it still feels like he's mostly doing it just to screw with us. I mean, he can't even do a musical comedy without twisting the knife for his own sick amusement! (Although, I'll admit that most of the Buffy/Angel deaths were pretty well handled. But I'll never forgive him for Wash.)
Musical comedy SUPERVILLAIN ORIGIN STORY.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 08:30 PM   #140
Adm. Maleficent
Vice Admiral

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Other, namely George Lucas.

I know it's fashionable to bitch about him and his recent work, but here's my thing:

1. All the bitching doesn't change the fact that it started as his vision and he should have a chance to complete it on film.

2. As such, according his description of his vision, the sumbitch owes us three more chapters and I want him to pay up.

3. His problem is scriptwriting, not story writing or directing, so I say let him finish the story, have someone else write he scripts and let GL get on with what he actually does fairly well.
If Lucas wanted to direct the movie, and/or complete the vision himself, he wouldn't have sold the franchise and handed LucasFilm control over to that lady (whose name escapes me at the moment).
Hey, it's a poll. That's my other. I can dream...

-Maleficent
Adm. Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 09:15 PM   #141
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

You're certainly dreaming if you don't think that Lucas has a clearly diminished ability to elicit compelling performances from his actors.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 09:36 PM   #142
T'Baio
Admiral

I think a large part of Ewan McGregor's performance in both Attack Of The Clones and especially Revenge Of The Sith is some of the best acting in the saga. *shrug*

Anyway...rumours are running rampant today that Matthew Vaughan left X-Men: Days Of Future Past because he's being considered for Episode VII.

I'm not entirely sure I buy it, though...unless the rumours stem from him actually signing on.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 09:36 PM   #143
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

So this rumor just sprang up on Collider, who supposedly have a pretty good track record with this kind of thing:

http://collider.com/star-wars-episod...vaughn/208715/
Is Matthew Vaughn in Talks to Direct STAR WARS: EPISODE VII?

Their sources are positing that the reason Matthew Vaughan abruptly jumped ship from the sequel to X-Men First Class....... was for Star Wars and he's currently in talks now.

I hope it's true, he was one of my top choices! The combination of Stardust and X-Men First Class has me convinced he could do a great Star Wars film. He has great genre sensibilities, his main characters tend to be well developed, his style is dynamic without being a specific "type" of movie each time, and I think he can effectively move back and forth between a sense of fun adventure and mythic seriousness. I did enjoy Kick-Ass but I'm not using that as evidence, I'm looking more at Stardust and X-Men: FC. In other words... pleasebetruepleasebetruepleasebetrue!!!!!!!

edit: Tbaio beat me to it. I do kind of see that it's possible the rumor sprang out of speculation as to why he left X-Men. Still hoping it's true.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 10:26 PM   #144
T'Baio
Admiral

I could totally get behind Vaughan directing Episode VII. I just don't see Disney/Lucasfilm wanting him.

He has a history for bailing on productions for various reasons, and they need to get Episode VII going yesterday.

He's also very strong headed and opinionated...which I think is great for an auteur, I'm not criticizing him. But I don't see Disney/Lucasfilm wanting someone who's gonna' fight them on major creative decisions. I see them going for a journeyman director, with a star writer.

I could be wrong, though...we'll see soon enough!
On Facebook
Old November 5 2012, 11:13 PM   #145
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

My choices:

Alex Proyas: A great visual storyteller. He'd concentrate on tone and mood which is soemthing that Star Wars has been lacking. I think he'd bring a similar sensibility to the franchise that Kershner brought to it.

Joseph Kosinski He did a fine job on Tron Legacy until the middle of the movie when the script let him down. He'd bring a light touch to Star Wars... he's not fancy, and Star Wars doesn't need fancy
Old November 6 2012, 01:54 AM   #146
T'Baio
Admiral

Those are actually two very interesting choices. I doubt Kosinski would want to get into another nostalgia franchise, though.

Proyas...I think he's a great choice, but his style might overwhelm it.
On Facebook
Old November 6 2012, 01:57 AM   #147
Kegg
Rear Admiral

T'Baio wrote: View Post
And that he hasn't done a good movie since the 1990s is also a strike against him. Possibly Proyas could have a comeback with the right script, though, who knows.
Old November 6 2012, 02:19 AM   #148
JD
Admiral

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
So this rumor just sprang up on Collider, who supposedly have a pretty good track record with this kind of thing:

http://collider.com/star-wars-episod...vaughn/208715/
Is Matthew Vaughn in Talks to Direct STAR WARS: EPISODE VII?

Their sources are positing that the reason Matthew Vaughan abruptly jumped ship from the sequel to X-Men First Class....... was for Star Wars and he's currently in talks now.

I hope it's true, he was one of my top choices! The combination of Stardust and X-Men First Class has me convinced he could do a great Star Wars film. He has great genre sensibilities, his main characters tend to be well developed, his style is dynamic without being a specific "type" of movie each time, and I think he can effectively move back and forth between a sense of fun adventure and mythic seriousness. I did enjoy Kick-Ass but I'm not using that as evidence, I'm looking more at Stardust and X-Men: FC. In other words... pleasebetruepleasebetruepleasebetrue!!!!!!!

edit: Tbaio beat me to it. I do kind of see that it's possible the rumor sprang out of speculation as to why he left X-Men. Still hoping it's true.
I forgot Vaughn did Stardust, I really enjoyed that one. After that and FC, I would be very happy to see him direct SW:EVII
Old November 6 2012, 02:28 AM   #149
T'Baio
Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
T'Baio wrote: View Post
And that he hasn't done a good movie since the 1990s is also a strike against him.
And then there's that!
On Facebook
Old November 7 2012, 05:16 PM   #150
T'Baio
Admiral

Well...David Yates is definitely out of the running. He just signed on to direct WB's Tarzan.
On Facebook