CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old October 31 2012, 03:22 PM   #31
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: why didnt the voyager crew have tng uniforms

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
Pavonis wrote: View Post

In-universe, commanding officers seem to have the authority to decide which uniforms the crew will wear. Janeway liked the jumpsuits, therefore the jumpsuits were the preferred uniform for all.

In DS9, when Sisko becomes temporary head of Starfleet Security on Earth, he wears the TNG-era uniform. It seems to be a more formal uniform, between the dress uniform and the "fatigues" of DS9. Would make sense for Picard to prefer a more formal uniform for his starship.

Don't forget the in Generations we saw Troi and Worfwearing a TNG uniform when she crashed the ship, but Riker and Data were in the DS9 uniforms in the same scene. So it might've been more a transitory phase.
Or they just decided to wear the DS9 uniforms that day, I mean Picard was wearing a DS9 uniform during the later parts of the film and then switched back to the TNG Uniform for the very end of it.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 12:02 AM   #32
teacock
Admiral

I'm like the only person ever who never notices uniforms. Or rank. Or pips (other than the fiddling scene of course).

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 10:09 PM   #33
KNH
Commander

For a more meta reason - once DS9 had switched to the black-and-grey uniforms with colored undershirts, we were to the point where every show had its own, distinct uniform style.
KNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 10:43 PM   #34
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I do not think that that word means what you think it means.

"Uniform amnesty"

the one day a year where the officers and crewmen can show up at the Quartermasters office and exchange their ratty old style uniforms for a new design without having their credit rooted.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 08:08 PM   #35
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

To be honest I now prefer the voyager / and early DS9 uniforms now I always thought the command diversions colours were more bolder than the grey shoulder ones that they used in FC
Old November 5 2012, 05:34 PM   #36
starburst
Fleet Captain

It was a new uniform and like others said most likely down to CO preference which is why in DS9 you saw members of the crew arrive wearing the TNG uniform and change into the more relaxed version and often when they went to Earth they changed back into more formal attire.

As for Generations it showed how Picard mellowed and became more relaxed, never mind the real world reasons.

Picard wearing the original uniform at the end of the film, it showed he had gotten changed after beating Soran and maybe he felt wearing a formal uniform was a more fitting way for him to leave his ship...I once read a British Army Officer during the 2nd World War had to order a retreat from a town they had been holding for days and shaved just before doing so, as if your going to have to retreat your going to do it with dignity.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 05:41 PM   #37
R. Star
Rear Admiral

starburst wrote: View Post
I once read a British Army Officer during the 2nd World War had to order a retreat from a town they had been holding for days and shaved just before doing so, as if your going to have to retreat your going to do it with dignity.
Could just be practical as that officer taking his last chance for a hot shower and shave for awhile if he's retreating out to the wilderness.
Old November 5 2012, 08:16 PM   #38
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The Roman art of poisoning wells during a retreat seems like a better use of ones time.

Old November 5 2012, 08:57 PM   #39
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

One of the "Generations" writers joked that they figured people would change uniforms only when they showered - this is supported in dialogue when the Kleavage sisters noted that Geordi had bathed after he got back and before he went to engineering to provide them with their plot device. This makes it wierd when you notice that by that logic Worf did not shower over the course of the movie, but the women didn't either.

It did readily show that they hadn't had new uniforms made for the film, except for Stewart. Frakes and Burton visibly had fit problems in their outfits (look at their sleeves) and of course the women didn't have tailored, form-fitting costumes either.

We also know from various sources that the TNG uniforms weren't very comfortable to wear. The early spandex ones caused pain in the lower backs where they compressed the spine, and the latter two-piece costumes (for the guys) still had pants that were not comfortable and the upper tunics would ride up, resulting in the infamous "Picard maneuver" of straightening it out whenever he got up. The later DS9 style had a cut that was more comfortable for both genders and were better tailored for different body types.

Still, while the cut of the DS9/VOY uniforms worked better, I never liked the black look with colored shoulders. Slimming as they were (especially for some of the guys in later seasons), IMO it never fit for a bunch of heroic space explorers to be walking around in ninja black with highlights. There were some early concepts for DS9 which featured the TNG design but with the DS9 front zipper and purple undershirt. I would've liked that as a compromise, personally.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 09:58 PM   #40
Scout101
Admiral

Thought it was worse than just the TNG crew wearing DS9 uniforms. Thought the story was that for the 'hero' uniforms (key cast), they were hard up enough that they were actually wearing THE DS9 uniforms. As in that's the reason that a few of them clearly don't fit very well (Geordie, Riker)...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 10:25 PM   #41
Elvira
Vice Admiral

teacock wrote: View Post
hayesc0 wrote: View Post
why didnt the voyager crew have tng uniforms
Because they were ugly.
Sorry teacock, did you mean the uniforms were ugly, or the crew was ugly?

Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 10:28 PM   #42
teacock
Admiral

No one is ugly on television. The uniforms though..

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 01:29 PM   #43
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Well, in a way, the Voyager/early-DS9 uniforms were from TNG, since the red ones showed up in TNG's season 5 when the Enterprise returned to Earth and Wesley Crusher and Alpha Squad (and the rest of the Academy cadets) were shown with the red shoulders and black shirt/pants (and in some cases the pants were the cargo type).
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 11:37 AM   #44
F. King Daniel
Admiral

About fitting problems, IIRC only Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner had new early DS9/VOY-style uniforms made. Jonathan Frakes wore Avery Brooks'.
Old November 7 2012, 12:30 PM   #45
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Frakes: "Um? I don't get it? Why is so much room in the crotch? There's an echo-chamber down there. It's like the gusset has been used as a swimming cap for a hippopotamus."