Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old November 5 2012, 09:05 PM   #1
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

November Art Challenge - Just Suppose...Juxtapose

I had two idea's for October, and was really leaning towards this one, but decided that a Halloween theme might've been more fun. Having said that, this month's challenge is that other idea and if it's been done, let me know.

So....your challenge for this month is to create a book cover, movie poster, cd cover, tv guide cover, etc, based on a Trek episode, but using a crew from a different series.

For example: "Doomsday Machine" with the TNG crew. Or "In The Pale Moonlight" with the ENT crew, etc. Do not worry about continuity or strength of ships and so on. Your entry is it's own little universe where it happened in this way.

Let me know if you have any questions and good luck!

(Edit: should the format be limited i.e. a book cover? Or is the open format preferred?)
Old November 5 2012, 09:29 PM   #2
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

Re: November Art Challenge - Just Suppose...Juxtapose

How about "And the Children Shall Lead" with the Brady Bunch crew?

aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 10:12 PM   #3
Ptrope
Agitator

Interesting idea - I hope it will be more than 'shopping TOS character heads on TNG screen shots .
Old November 6 2012, 07:22 PM   #4
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

aridas sofia wrote: View Post
How about "And the Children Shall Lead" with the Brady Bunch crew?

[Count Floyd]Oooh that's scary![/Count Floyd]

Ptrope wrote: View Post
Interesting idea - I hope it will be more than 'shopping TOS character heads on TNG screen shots .
Me too!
Old November 6 2012, 10:02 PM   #5
largo
Fleet Captain

don't worry, i expect there will be a fair amount of 'shopping TNG heads on TOS screen shots as well.
Old November 7 2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

Are the crews to be from within the Star Trek universe?
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 05:44 PM   #7
Finngle Bells
Vice Admiral

I don't think the Bradys live in the Trekverse.

But the crew of the NX-01 do!
Finngle Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2012, 07:08 PM   #8
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Shawnster wrote: View Post
Are the crews to be from within the Star Trek universe?

Yep.
Old November 7 2012, 08:12 PM   #9
KNH
Commander

The thing from the Bayou wrote: View Post
I don't think the Bradys live in the Trekverse.

But the crew of the NX-01 do!
I swear, the Mayweather in that picture already has more personality than the real deal
KNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2012, 04:01 PM   #10
Ptrope
Agitator

Just to make sure - we're basing this on the episode itself, not necessarily its title, yes? (he asks hopefully ... ) Some titles are kind of specific to the crew involved (i.e. "Spock's Brain", hint, hint , or "Sons of Mogh"), but could still be recognizable if used for another series.
Old November 12 2012, 07:14 PM   #11
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Just to make sure - we're basing this on the episode itself, not necessarily its title, yes? (he asks hopefully ... ) Some titles are kind of specific to the crew involved (i.e. "Spock's Brain", hint, hint , or "Sons of Mogh"), but could still be recognizable if used for another series.
To be honest, I did not think of those types of eps, and figured that you should be able to work with the existing title. So the existing title's must be used, but in the examples you cite, where a specific element of that crew is used, then it can be changed to better reflect your entry. So if you want to do "Janeway's Brain" or "Sons of Soong", it would be okay.

On another note, I see a lot of photoshopping with screen caps and whatnot and that's cool if that's how you want to go......however, feel free to be more creative. For example, Solarbaby is doing "The Changeling". If it were a book cover, she could easily use the DS9 logo, the ep. title, and a puddle of goo. So don't feel like you're limited to having to use screen caps to do this.

It could minimalist artwork, but as long as it makes you go "wow, I wonder how cool that would be?" then you've done the job.
Old November 12 2012, 09:51 PM   #12
DFScott
Captain

View DFScott's Twitter Profile

I want to make sure I'm interpreting the rules right, Lensman. I gather that you're saying:

1. The book cover or poster must reflect a Trek TV series episode (not "The Wrath of Khan" with the TNG crew);

2. The crew used in the artwork must reflect a different Trek TV series (as opposed to a certain 2009 movie, and as opposed to the "New Frontier" crew from the book series);

3. The supporting cast used in the artwork must be the original supporting cast from the episode in question (so "Balance of Terror" may feature, say, Avery Brooks but also Mark Lenard).

DFJuxtaPoser
Old November 13 2012, 08:37 PM   #13
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

DFScott wrote: View Post
1. The book cover or poster must reflect a Trek TV series episode (not "The Wrath of Khan" with the TNG crew);
As long as it's taking an ep or movie from one series into another series it's okay. I said episode mainly from habit, since three of the five series didn't have a movie.

2. The crew used in the artwork must reflect a different Trek TV series (as opposed to a certain 2009 movie, and as opposed to the "New Frontier" crew from the book series);
Hmmm.....good question on the movie. I hadn't really given the 2009 movie any consideration. Is your entry based on using elements from the movie?

I suppose you could use a book crew, I think it'd have less punch, though....although I think that mainly because I don't read the books.

3. The supporting cast used in the artwork must be the original supporting cast from the episode in question (so "Balance of Terror" may feature, say, Avery Brooks but also Mark Lenard).
That is not a requirement, but if you have the photoshop skills to pull it off, I'd love to see it! So if your intention was to do "Balance of Terror" as it would've been done on DS9, then you could use a Romulan from DS9 as long as it were clear that your entry was a DS9 version of "Balance of Terror". (So if we existed in the universe where this was the case, there'd only be 78 episodes of the original series since "Balance of Terror" was not done as an episode of the original series, and was instead a DS9 episode)

Also, it seems my use of the word "crew" is causing some confusion. Looking back, it's clear that I could've worded it as "create an entry that takes an episode from one series and put's it in another (using a wide variety of formats from book covers, movie poster, t.v. guide cover, etc)". As long as it's clear which episode is being used and which series it's being made a part of.

For example "Doomsday Machine"/TNG". Or "In The Pale Moonlight"/ ENT."

This should open it up to a wide range of art styles since the crew itself need not be present. So to use Solarbaby's entry as an example:

The episode is Classic Trek episode "The Changeling"
The series she chose is Deep Space Nine

If it were a book cover, it would be okay to use the DS9 logo, the episode title and a puddle of goo.

Or you could have a minimalist movie poster that was a silhouette of the 1701 and a Borg cube for "Best Of Both Worlds".

Hopefully this will help.
Old November 30 2012, 02:11 PM   #14
Santa Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Santa Klaus's Twitter Profile

Send your entries to ptrope @ gmail dot com by tonight!!
Santa Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote