Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 4 2012, 06:03 PM   #1156
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

303. How to Train Your Dragon (✩✩✩✩) - Live TV - A viking village called Berk has been attacked by fearsome dragons for generations and the people have always fought back. Their entire culture has been built around killing these monsters as trophies. Then one day after an attack, a cowardly boy finds an injured dragon and instead of killing it, he ends up taming it through understanding rather than bringing it down through brute force. I found this to be an insightful morality tale with substance and fun characters. It's good for all ages. And for a kids movie it takes you places you don't expect.

After the movie was done, I saw the first two episodes of Dragons: Riders of Berk. It picks up with the same characters and much of the all-star voice cast. Given that it's a series, the animation isn't as sharp, but it's good. Story-wise, I look forward to seeing how it goes since it promises to expand on the world and mythology. It's like The Matrix though, in that the story has already been told, so there doesn't appear to be too much else they can do beyond just showing us more stuff with dragons.

304. Flight (✩✩✩✩) - Theatre - The trailer made it seem like this was a movie full of humorous absurdity. That was a good hook because the event surrounding the plane got people into seats. What we got instead was a story about something else. It was a solid and occasionally humorous drama that dealt with a man and his personal troubles.

The ending was heartfelt, but...

I also had one gripe… Looked like the plane didn't skid far enough after it hit the ground.

Theatre: 19
DVD/Blu-ray: 113
Live TV: 120
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 43
Internet: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 10:26 PM   #1157
nvek86
Commander

126. Cop Out

While by no means a great comedy, it was funnier than I expected, so I'd consider it two hours well spent.
Old November 5 2012, 12:49 AM   #1158
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Just got back from Flight. I thought DW was great in it, but I'm kind of mixed on the story. I like that he's not a perfect character without flaws, but I'm a little skeptical at how quickly he goes into a downward spiral in dealing with the pressures of the investigation. That's not to belittle the effects that addiction can have on a person, cause I know sometimes it's very much like that. But I think one accurate criticism I've read is that the movie doesn't spend a lot of time on the media's perception that, known flaws or not, Whitaker is a hero for landing the plane under the circumstances he did, and keeping most of the passengers and crew alive. It focuses instead on his problems and his inability to keep his head straight long enough to avoid going to jail, even though presumably he's successfully lied about his addictions on many flights.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 01:09 AM   #1159
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Undead wrote: View Post
It focuses instead on his problems and his inability to keep his head straight long enough to avoid going to jail, even though presumably he's successfully lied about his addictions on many flights.
He wasn't under investigation for drug and alcohol abuse before.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 01:18 AM   #1160
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Right, but he's smart enough to know how bad such investigations could be for him under the most ideal circumstances, and the film's setup seems to be based on the assumption that, despite those problems, Whitaker is still an exceptionally skilled pilot. That's presumably why he's able to land the plane in relatively one piece with few casualties. So if he knows that his skill could have accomplished that, at least partially, and he knows not to let his addictions become obvious enough to get him reprimanded or fired, why does the movie so quickly abandon that premise and just show Whitaker getting drunk out of his gourd at every opportunity?

I just feel like the good premise gets a bit drowned in the addiction aspect (no pun intended ), and it's unfortunate because it denies Whitaker the chance to have some heroic tendencies. He's not perfect, but he's clearly not a completely bad person either.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 06:07 AM   #1161
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

He's an alcoholic & drug addict, gettin' drunk at every opportunity is what people with those problems do. Since he was out of work while the investigation was underway, he had a lot of free time, and spent that time gettin' drunk and/or high.

What else could he do?
Old November 5 2012, 06:12 AM   #1162
od0_ital
Admiral

Cloud Atlas - free admission
The Man with the Iron Fists - free admission
Wreck-It Ralph 3D - free admission
Flight - free admission
Jesse Stone: Thin Ice - DVD
Jesse Stone: No Remorse - DVD

Stopped off at Blockbuster last night after work, rented their copy of Thin Ice, the fifth movie in the Tom Selleck series. It was on par with the others in the series, I think...

Stopped off at Blockbuster again tonight after after work, returned Thin Ice and rented their copies No Remose and Innocents Lost, the sixth & seventh movies in the series.

Watchin' No Remorse now, makin' it the 300th "new to me" movie of the year!
Old November 5 2012, 07:02 AM   #1163
AliciaD496
Fleet Captain

View AliciaD496's Twitter Profile

Undead wrote: View Post
Right, but he's smart enough to know how bad such investigations could be for him under the most ideal circumstances, and the film's setup seems to be based on the assumption that, despite those problems, Whitaker is still an exceptionally skilled pilot. That's presumably why he's able to land the plane in relatively one piece with few casualties. So if he knows that his skill could have accomplished that, at least partially, and he knows not to let his addictions become obvious enough to get him reprimanded or fired, why does the movie so quickly abandon that premise and just show Whitaker getting drunk out of his gourd at every opportunity?

I just feel like the good premise gets a bit drowned in the addiction aspect (no pun intended ), and it's unfortunate because it denies Whitaker the chance to have some heroic tendencies. He's not perfect, but he's clearly not a completely bad person either.
cup of g00 wrote: View Post
He's an alcoholic & drug addict, gettin' drunk at every opportunity is what people with those problems do. Since he was out of work while the investigation was underway, he had a lot of free time, and spent that time gettin' drunk and/or high.

What else could he do?
I think in the end he didn't want to drag the flight attendant's name through the mud and let someone who he saw as being heroic not be recognized as such just because he wanted to continue lying about his drinking. He wanted her recognized for helping to save that boy without it being tainted by her being seen as an alcoholic. Then again without his piloting her being able to get the kid strapped in again would have been moot.

Maybe it's just like he said...he'd reached his limits on lies, and had finally found a reason to sober up (his new girl Nicole). He was very adept at covering his addiction generally...like not getting caught driving while drinking those beers, chugging vodka outside the liquor store and not being seen, etc...if he wanted to continue to lie he could have, he sure did during the first part of the hearing about the crash.

Anyway...it was a very good movie and if Denzel doesn't at least get a nod for best actor I'll be very disappointed. It was HIS movie all the way and he ran away with it.
Old November 5 2012, 07:17 AM   #1164
Agent Richard07
Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Kelly Reilly has the other really substantive role in the movie apart from Washington, and delivers a terrific performance.
I just read that Olivia Wilde was up for the part.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 05:07 PM   #1165
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

cup of g00 wrote: View Post
Stopped off at Blockbuster last night after work, rented their copy of Thin Ice, the fifth movie in the Tom Selleck series. It was on par with the others in the series, I think...

Stopped off at Blockbuster again tonight after after work, returned Thin Ice and rented their copies No Remose and Innocents Lost, the sixth & seventh movies in the series.
I thought these were being phased out at the brick/mortar level? There isn't one that I know of even in the Nashville area, their site confirms it for me.

I even noticed over summer that the Blockbuster kiosk had been removed at a local Mapco Gas Station and replaced with Redbox.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 06:30 PM   #1166
od0_ital
Admiral

^

A lot of stores have closed, but there's still one open on my way to & from work.

I'm actually kind of bummed...since movin' to Austin over ten years ago, I lived in four apartments (before this most recent return almost a year ago). Out of those four, three of 'em have had the Blockbusters within a few blocks close after I moved out, includin' the first one I started to use.

I don't do kiosks or redbox, and I don't have Netflix, so its either Blockbuster, Hasting's, if there is one (which Austin/Round Rock doesn't, though there is still one in San Marcos, twenty-five miles south), or buyin' the DVD outright & then sellin' it it to Buy Backs.
Old November 5 2012, 08:21 PM   #1167
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
What's your issue with Netflix or Redbox? If you're Blockbuster loyal they do have online service as well. I'd never blind buy a DVD even at discounted initial release prices knowing your likely to sell it back and only get about 20-30% of your money back. Netflix and Redbox make blind viewing affordable without taking a big loss vs the way you're describing unless I'm missing something or Hastings has an incredible buy back plan(we don't have those here).
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 12:56 AM   #1168
Harvey
Admiral

169. Where the Wild Things Are (B)
170. Apollo 13 (A)
171. Silver Linings Playbook (B)
172. Sunset Blvd. (A)
173. Something in the Air (A-)

I said I wasn't going to see any new films this year, but AFI Fest and a screening at the UCLA Film/TV archive have allowed me to break that promise for free...

Where the Wild Things Are: It's always going to be hard to turn a short children's book (ten sentences, I think) into a satisfying feature film. Director and co-screenwriter Spike Jones (writing with Dave Eggers) does a reasonable job confronting this obstacle, but there are still times when the lush visual design doesn't have a lot of story material to complement. Apparently the studio didn't market this as a children's film, which was probably a wise move; it's not an inappropriate movie for kids, but it's certainly darker than most.

Apollo 13: I think this is still Ron Howard's best-directed movie. Aside from some computer-generated effects that don't hold up fifteen years later, it remains a good historical piece that keeps tightening the tension -- even when you know how it will end.

Silver Linings Playbook: This is getting Oscar attention, but I think that has more to do with the principals (David O. Russel directing; Robert deNiro acting in a good movie!) than with the film itself. Not that it's bad or anything, but for a movie that's ostensibly about the realities of mental illness, it veers into fantasy territory an awful lot. One one hand, Jennifer Lawrence commands the screen; on the other, I never got the sense that her character was a real person.

Sunset Blvd.: For a film made in 1950, this is as deeply unsettling as ever. The cast is terrific, the script is tight as can be, and the direction never falters. Great to see on the big screen, too.

Something in the Air: Olivier Assayas' follow-up to Carlos is a more personal film that that epic, but still a movie deeply invested in exploring the universe of European politics in the late 60s and early 70s. Once again, it's a film that could never be made in the US; it never romanticizes it's subject nor turns these people into villains. They're just young people, with all the corresponding flaws and virtues you might find among any group of teenagers (they just happen to be involved in leftist politics). For a cast of mostly first-time performers, the acting is quite exceptional, too.

Theatres: 57+4
Home Video: 105+1
Computer: 10

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 09:45 PM   #1169
od0_ital
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
^^^
What's your issue with Netflix or Redbox?
I'll use Netflix if I'm at a friend's place that has it, that instant stream is kind of awesome. But I'm not a customer, so I don't really have an issue with 'em.

But Redbox...I don't like just standin' there at a vendin' machine tryin' to figure out what to watch. So, I've never even tried to use 'em.

If you're Blockbuster loyal they do have online service as well.
I used that service for awhile, a couple of years ago. Got it at a discount, free trial offer sort of thing when one of their stores in Burleson was shuttin' down.

Didn't care for it much, except how easily I was able to watch some classic Doctor Who stories.

I just like goin' into a store, lookin' the selection over and then decidin' what to watch. Some times, I go in knowin' what I want to see, but most of the time, its a matter of findin' something to fit my mood.

Anyway, finally got around to watchin' Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid on DVD...bought it for five bucks at Wal-Mart awhile back, popped it in to watch, but haven't finished, since I've paused it to type this response.
Old November 6 2012, 10:33 PM   #1170
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

30) Boogie Nights - A- (1997)
31) Argo (2012) - A
32) Cloud Atlas (2012) - C
33) Flight (2012) - B+

There's only one other movie that surprised me more than Flight did this year, based purely on watching the trailer and coming out of the movie with an entirely different experience. That movie was "The Descendants". Based on the trailer, I went in expecting a comedy and came out thinking I saw one of the most depressing movies ever.

Well, here we have Flight, which is a movie I've been looking forward to because of Zemickis and because the trailer made it look really good and I like Washington. I thought this was going to be a story about someone who has to deal with the media pressure after being a hero and how does one go about with the "hero-worship" stigma.

That's not what this movie was about, and I walked out of the theater thinking it was a great movie for an entirely different movie. I really don't want to spoil the plot of the movie because I think the experience is a lot better if you go in having seeing the trailer and thinking only based on what you've seen from there. I'll just say this was a great character study movie and will say:

Theater: 14 (+1)
BluRay: 9
On Demand/TV: 4
Itunes: 6