RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,672
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 509
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 5 2012, 01:53 AM   #1
The Overlord
Captain

Was Star Trek 11 too similar to Star Wars?

A common complaint of Star Trek 11 is its too similar to Star Wars. Is that a fair complaint?
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 01:56 AM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Was Star Trek 11 too similar to Star Wars?

The Overlord wrote: View Post
A common complaint of Star Trek 11 is its too similar to Star Wars. Is that a fair complaint?
No. It has far more in common with The Wrath of Khan and Nemesis than it does with Star Wars.
Old November 5 2012, 01:59 AM   #3
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

No.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 02:07 AM   #4
XFozzboute
Commander

View XFozzboute's Twitter Profile

That whole thing about Star Trek 11 being like Star Wars is just a load of crap.
Old November 5 2012, 02:13 AM   #5
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I predict people will accuse Episode VII of being too much like ST:XII. Or something. Because they both begin with "Star".

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 02:26 AM   #6
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Haven't I seen this movie before?

Is this another reboot?
Old November 5 2012, 02:54 AM   #7
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

... is its too similar to Star Wars.
Did you have a particular Star Wars episode in mind, or just Star Wars in general?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 03:13 AM   #8
Dukhat
Commodore

This is one of the usual flimsy excuses bandied about by the Trek XI haters to justify why they're completely incapable of liking the film for its own merits.

So no, it's not a fair complaint.
Old November 5 2012, 03:27 AM   #9
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Once upon a time, there was a film. It had spaceships, lasers, aliens, and faster-than-light travel. It told the story of an originally aimless young man beginning the hero's journey, encouraged by a wise older mentor to follow in the footsteps of his dead hero father who was killed by the film's villain. At the climax, this young man destroyed a dangerous spaceship which had single-handedly annihilated a peaceful planet and threatened to do the same thing to others.

What film am I talking about?

Last edited by Set Harth; November 5 2012 at 05:33 AM.
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 03:35 AM   #10
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

No.

Nor does a small number of loud trufans repeating something endlessly make it a "common complaint."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 05:26 AM   #11
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

It just makes it an annoying baseless complaint.
Old November 5 2012, 05:52 AM   #12
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

A common complaint of Star Trek 11 is its too similar to Star Wars.
No, that was a joke... from over three years ago. Almost no one took it seriously then, and I'm a bit surprised to see the question even being asked now.

Is that a fair complaint?
Here - you decide:

"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 06:38 AM   #13
Valin
Rear Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Once upon a time, there was a film. It had spaceships, lasers, aliens, and faster-than-light travel. It told the story of an originally aimless young man beginning the hero's journey, encouraged by a wise older mentor to follow in the footsteps of his dead hero father who was killed by the film's villain. At the climax, this young man destroyed a dangerous spaceship which had single-handedly annihilated a peaceful planet and threatened to do the same thing to others.

What film am I talking about?
Spaceballs?
Old November 5 2012, 06:53 AM   #14
Dukhat
Commodore

Set Harth wrote: View Post
When you put it that way....HOLY SHIT!!! It was the EXACT same movie!!!

...well, not really.
Old November 5 2012, 07:27 AM   #15
AllStarEntprise
Fleet Captain

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
A common complaint of Star Trek 11 is its too similar to Star Wars.
No, that was a joke... from over three years ago. Almost no one took it seriously then, and I'm a bit surprised to see the question even being asked now.

Is that a fair complaint?
Here - you decide:

^ THIS
Lets not forget:
Nero and the Romulans having facial tattoos like Darth Maul from Phantom Menace.

Kirk being stranded in the wilderness on an snow/ice planet. Like Luke was in Empire Strikes back

Kirk nearly getting eaten by a dino crab on the ice planet. Just like Luke nearly getting eaten by a snow monster with horns in Empire Strikes Back.

Kirk getting a vision about his future destiny from elder Spock on the ice planet, similar to Luke's vision on Hoth to go to the Dagobah system from old Obi-Wan.

Luke living on a moisture farm before leaving for his jedi training. Kirk living on a farm before his enlisting in Star Fleet.

Abrams lifted A LOT of imagery from Star Wars. Even more from Star Trek notably Nemesis and TWOK.

Nero being a hated nemesis of Spock for things that were out of Spock's control. Attempting and using a benevolent machine (Genesis/Red Matter) as a WMD. Obessive compulsion to make Spock suffer. etc

The Romulans being bald miners who wear trench coats. Just like the Remans of Nemesis who were bald, miners and wore trench coats.

The Scimitar and Narada looking like sibling ships.
Now people give NEM shit for saying the slave Remans could never build the Scimitar. But Shinzon says it was built at a secret base. Being apart of the military it was most likely not a secret from the Tal Shiar or the military. No way it could be. Probably a secret from the Praetor and senate. With the Narada as it fits in the context of the movie we have no idea where Nero got it, and it's presented that's it's always been that way. The special feature on the dvd say it was upgraded at the HUB after the destruction of Romulus, just like the prequel comic does. Although the timeline of events in the movie contradict that. As well as what the Narada is capable varies of in the movie, comics and special features.

There are more examples but I can't think of them all at present.

I was REALLY irritated by all the praise critics and audiences were giving Star Trek XI back during it's debut. Saying it's the best film out of all of them is laughable because if these people saw the other movies they'd quickly realize that this is a copy and paste film with themes, ideas and imagery lifted from other sources and disguised in a $150 million budget. Presentation is great but you could dissect the movie very easily and find it's parent material in the other NEM, TWOK, A New Hope, TESB, and TPM
AllStarEntprise is offline   Reply With Quote