Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 2 2012, 06:13 PM   #16
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: National Novel Writing Month

Ghostavo Fring wrote: View Post
thestrangledcorpse wrote: View Post
Maybe I should make this my own Get Back To Trying To Get the Novel I Wrote a Year and a Half Ago Published Month.

Done with mine for tonight. 1878 words. It feels good!
Well, now I have to, because that image will haunt my dreams until I do!

My novel writing experience was rather odd. I never thought I would write a novel, especially not a mystery, and then, one morning I just woke up with a whole story in my head. All the characters were there, the plot, the plot twists, the details, everything. I sat down and wrote it from beginning to end in 3 1/2 weeks. It's a strange sort of coming-of-age thing that deals with mental illness, addiction, and racism, with a murder mystery and an arson mystery to be solved, plus a bit of fantasy thrown in for good measure. Strangest of all, I think it actually might work.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 06:44 PM   #17
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

thestrangledcorpse wrote: View Post
My novel writing experience was rather odd. I never thought I would write a novel, especially not a mystery, and then, one morning I just woke up with a whole story in my head. All the characters were there, the plot, the plot twists, the details, everything. I sat down and wrote it from beginning to end in 3 1/2 weeks. It's a strange sort of coming-of-age thing that deals with mental illness, addiction, and racism, with a murder mystery and an arson mystery to be solved, plus a bit of fantasy thrown in for good measure. Strangest of all, I think it actually might work.
That sounds pretty awesome! I love eclectic novels like that.
Old November 3 2012, 12:27 AM   #18
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I wrote another 1876 words today (2 fewer than yesterday.) Going well so far.
Old November 4 2012, 01:08 AM   #19
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

How are all of you doing? I wrote 2230 today, so I am up to 5984. At this rate, I will be a day ahead after tomorrow!
Old November 4 2012, 04:30 AM   #20
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Saito S

I'm at 5012, which puts me right on target (5001 would be the exact day 3 count, going by 1667 words per day). Might get a little more done later tonight if I have time, but I'm not sure.

There's a kickoff party for my region tomorrow, which I'll be attending; I've always been able to get a good amount done at write-ins, so I'm hoping that will continue!
Saito S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 12:31 AM   #21
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

Soul of Saito wrote: View Post
I'm at 5012, which puts me right on target (5001 would be the exact day 3 count, going by 1667 words per day). Might get a little more done later tonight if I have time, but I'm not sure.

There's a kickoff party for my region tomorrow, which I'll be attending; I've always been able to get a good amount done at write-ins, so I'm hoping that will continue!
Good work!! Glad you are sticking with it.

I am up to 7693 now, so I am doing pretty well--slightly ahead of schedule, just the way I like it. I know I'm going to lag around Thanksgiving so a little padding should help.
Old November 5 2012, 03:22 AM   #22
Saito S
Fleet Captain

^ Nice! I got a lot done at the kickoff party (and met some neat people), so I'm at 7730 right now. Might write a little bit more later tonight, we'll see. I'd kinda like to get down 300-ish more words by midnight, so that I will have written more than 3000 in one day (since I'm at 2718 for today right now)

Hm, funny thing is that not a lot happens around Thanksgiving for me anymore. We used to have the whole family dinner thing, but now everyone that's left in the area does their own thing. Sometimes I'll be with my dad on the actual evening, and we'll have dinner with some friends or something, but nothing huge, and I almost never travel around that time. So for me, Thanksgiving means time off to write! It's been a "big push" time for me every Nano, especially if I'm behind going into it.
Old November 5 2012, 03:46 AM   #23
Finn
Vice Admiral

I always wanted to write a story, but this month is really a bad time for me to take on a personal project
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 03:39 PM   #24
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

The thing from the Bayou wrote: View Post
I always wanted to write a story, but this month is really a bad time for me to take on a personal project
It's not like anyone's going to be monitoring you. The important thing is to try!

And just so you know, there are National Novel Writing Months for every month of the year. The November one is the "original" and is the most well-known. Last year I did a book in July. Although it ended up taking until September to get it all written.

The idea is just to get you writing, not to put you on some unbearable schedule.
Old November 5 2012, 03:43 PM   #25
Finn
Vice Admiral

The thing from the Bayou wrote: View Post
It's not like anyone's going to be monitoring you. The important thing is to try!

And just so you know, there are National Novel Writing Months for every month of the year. The November one is the "original" and is the most well-known. Last year I did a book in July. Although it ended up taking until September to get it all written.

The idea is just to get you writing, not to put you on some unbearable schedule.

I'm in graduate school plus working part time in a retail store. There's a chance I'll have to move again soon. I might go for a story in December, but I'm not the best writer.

My writing can be dry, factual and have a tendency to drag on. I used to be accused of plagarism in college by some profs with "There's no way you wrote like this on your own".
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 04:48 PM   #26
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

That is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen.
Old November 5 2012, 05:29 PM   #27
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I had a great idea for a novel when I woke up this morning but it's gone now.
Old November 6 2012, 01:12 AM   #28
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

Up to 9405 now. Things are moving right along.
Old November 7 2012, 01:22 AM   #29
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

2488 today, so my total is 11893. I am officially a day ahead, but I can't afford to slack. How are the rest of you doing? Too distracted by the election to write today?
Old November 7 2012, 09:59 PM   #30
Saito S
Fleet Captain

2488 today, so my total is 11893. I am officially a day ahead, but I can't afford to slack. How are the rest of you doing? Too distracted by the election to write today?
Kinda.

But I did get some done after it was more or less over - just over 1000. So I am now a bit behind, but only by like... 600 words or so. So not too bad.

The reason I was set up to be behind in the first place was because of Monday - there was just a lot of stuff going on that evening, I didn't get ANY writing done. So I'm glad I built up a small buffer by writing over 3000 on Sunday! Write-ins really do work, at least for me.