Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 4 2012, 02:07 PM   #211
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

There was an encrypted message from the Jedi Temple recalling all Jedi, telling them to return to Coruscant. Obi Wan turned it off, maybe even changed it to say to stay away from Coruscant, I'm not sure.

Also, in Episode IV Ben Kenobi said that "A young Jedi named Darth Vader helped the Empire HUNT DOWN and destroy the Jedi knights." So there was definitely some JEDI HUNTING taking place, not just the quick purge.
Old November 4 2012, 03:09 PM   #212
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Undead wrote: View Post
Depends on stuff like the EU, which featured the occasional survivors of Order 66. The Conclave on Kessel tried (and failed) to kill Vader with an ambush, and Empatojayos Brand survived the purge with grievous wounds and was still alive after the Emperor's death at Endor.

I don't watch CW, so I have no clue if there's any official word in there to the effect that only Kenobi and Yoda survived. Going only by the movies, one could assume that since they're the only key Jedi shown afterwards, but a lot of the tie-in material suggests there were others.
Of course it doesn't help that the EU will likely be voided by Episode VII in 2015.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 05:53 PM   #213
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^There's no need to be snide. Of course I'm "aware" of all that. But this is a story about small children whose murders are due to happen within the very near future. The Clone Wars only lasted three years, and given how much Ahsoka's matured over the course of the series, we've gotta be at least two years into it in episodes like this one. That means we're not talking about something decades in the future, but about something that's going to happen very soon... to children. That makes it rather harder to overlook than the usual cognitive dissonance of watching Anakin Skywalker be a hero.

Although a lot of it is just a sense of pointlessness. The story was about these children achieving a major step forward toward their future maturity. But we know they have no future. So any sense of accomplishment feels hollow.
Good point, but I wouldn't call it pointless. To me, it's tragic since I know what's going to happen to the Jedi a little while on down the road in ROTS. It helps add to the tragedy of Anakin's assault on the Temple, where some of these younglings might have been. It helps me put other faces on that massacre.

As for survivors of Order 66, until the EU has been overturned completely on that regard, I'm going with more than Obi and Yoda survived. If I recall, the EU's Quinlan Vos was supposed to die in ROTS (his death is in the comic adaptation), but that was changed from on high, and he was given a reprieve. Maybe there was some idea about using him for a future Star Wars show or something. But it says to me that they were thinking that others survived. You also have the Force Unleashed games which have at least three/four Jedi (Marek's parents, Shaak-Ti, and Rahm Kota) surviving the purge. As far as I know, the new films will take place after ROTJ and not retcon those games out of existence. Granted, all of the EU is up to be completely ignored now, though I doubt that will happen either.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 06:41 PM   #214
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

There are also Jedi on the EU list who fell to the dark side as Anakin did, and became servants of the Empire. Some were full fledged Jedi who fought during the Clone Wars and others were only padawans or younglings when the purge occurred.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 08:51 PM   #215
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Stephen! wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
How small were they?
Quite small.

It's probably totally coincidental, but with Hasbro's "Ultimate Lightsaber" kit a few years back, it came with a set of crystals that were exactly that size.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...e/crystals.jpg.
Old November 4 2012, 09:46 PM   #216
JD
Admiral

There are also Jedi on the EU list who fell to the dark side as Anakin did, and became servants of the Empire. Some were full fledged Jedi who fought during the Clone Wars and others were only padawans or younglings when the purge occurred.
There were two Jedi, K'Kruhk and T'ra Saa, who fought in The Clone Wars, and then survived all the way into the Legacy comics set 100+ years after return of the Jedi.

Last edited by JD; November 4 2012 at 09:56 PM.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 10:21 PM   #217
billcosby
Commodore

And I couldn't watch a story about these Jedi "younglings" without being constantly aware of the fact that in a year or so, they're all going to be murdered by the nominal hero of this show. It kinda undermines any sense of accomplishment or victory.
I'm inclined to agree, however we know that *some* of those Jedi, younglings or not, escape Vader's purge, don't we? I always interpreted the gap between III and IV to be a lot of time for Vader just hunting down remaining Jedi, because anyone in the imperial navy can command a blockade or invade a system... but only a Jedi is so well qualified to hunt down other Jedi as compared to, say, bounty hunters.

Anyway, yeah. It's grim.

Stephen! wrote: View Post
I wonder if Yoda would have just left them in there, had they failed
You mean, not allow them to easily break through the ice like that last dude did? I'm sure this was a huge part of the lesson... they were never in any danger of actually being trapped in the cave for 19 days or however long it was.

This is excellent. I'm always interested in these stories... too bad they won't fit into the scope of the Clone Wars series... (or will they?)

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 12:59 AM   #218
Christopher
Writer

CandyCornCosby wrote: View Post
I'm sure this was a huge part of the lesson... they were never in any danger of actually being trapped in the cave for 19 days or however long it was.
Right. Yoda admitted that he lied about that. They weren't in danger of being trapped by the ice wall. No, they were simply in danger of falling off cliffs or getting buried in avalanches or drowning in freezing water. Muuuuuch better all around.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 01:04 AM   #219
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Right. Yoda admitted that he lied about that. They weren't in danger of being trapped by the ice wall. No, they were simply in danger of falling off cliffs or getting buried in avalanches or drowning in freezing water. Muuuuuch better all around.
I'm with you on the child endangerment thing, but then again, these aren't ordinary kids. They've been training in the ways of the Force for years already.
Old November 5 2012, 05:14 AM   #220
Slurms MacKenzi
Lieutenant Junior Grade

"Fucking Apple Maps! Ever since Tim Cook took over, everything has turned to SHIT!"
Slurms MacKenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 03:35 PM   #221
Worf2DS9
Writer

Was this our first visit to Illum since the micro-series? I enjoyed the episode, a nice breather after the heavy, arguably just-too-long Ondaran opener.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5 2012, 06:11 PM   #222
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Worf2DS9 wrote: View Post
arguably just-too-long Ondaran opener.
That shit should have been a two-parter, tops.
Old November 5 2012, 06:16 PM   #223
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Worf2DS9 wrote: View Post
Was this our first visit to Illum since the micro-series? I enjoyed the episode, a nice breather after the heavy, arguably just-too-long Ondaran opener.
Onderonian.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6 2012, 01:32 PM   #224
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I enjoyed the Ilum episode.

Fitting that the younglings exhibited character flaws that they needed to overcome to mature.

As to the child endangerment issue that some have raised: meh. The lightsaber is a weapon; danger is part of being a Jedi. Besides, Master Yoda seemed to have a sense of what was up, and I'm willing to assume he had a responsible sense of how ready and able the younglings were to face the test.
Old November 6 2012, 01:43 PM   #225
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
There were two Jedi, K'Kruhk and T'ra Saa, who fought in The Clone Wars, and then survived all the way into the Legacy comics set 100+ years after return of the Jedi.
Rahm Kota survived too, though presumably not 100+ years.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote