TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 4 2012, 01:55 PM   #1
DarkHorizon
Captain

New catalog entries - CLB, Ward, and DRGIII

New catalog entries have appeared at the Simon & Schuster website. As has become increasingly common, everything (short of the author) in the entry can be a placeholder, up to and including the titles (since it seems it has become Pocket policy to create placeholder titles for contracts).

The first is for Christopher's new Enterprise novel, announced the other day:

http://books.simonandschuster.com/St.../9781476706740

Next, comes another Original Series novel, From History's Shadow, by Dayton Ward:

http://books.simonandschuster.com/St.../9781476719009

I suspect this is the "untitled" novel at the top of Dayton's worklist on his blog.

And, finally...

Star Trek: The Fall - Book 1: Time and Revelation by David R George III. I suspect this is the DS9 anniversary work he announced last year. DRG's titles are particularly prone to the issue of being placeholders (see earlier issues with Plagues/Raise and next year's TOS novel...), so this in particular should not be relied upon:

http://books.simonandschuster.com/St.../9781476722177

There are also entries for the Star Trek Craft Book and Star Trek Cross-Stitch.
Old November 4 2012, 01:59 PM   #2
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: New catalog entries - CLB, Ward, and DRGIII

There's all kinds of weirdness with Star Trek: The Fall, it doesn't have a release date listed, it just says its out of stock and its listed as a TNG book.

EDIT: They're all listed as out of stock instead of having release dates.
Old November 4 2012, 03:06 PM   #3
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

You must've missed the little side bar, since "The Fall" has an August 2013 release date.

According to S&S's website, all three books are set to be released in June, July and August 2013, respectively.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 03:29 PM   #4
Christopher
Writer

Although I was told Rise of the Federation would be the July book, so I'm not sure which is accurate.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 03:41 PM   #5
DarkHorizon
Captain

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
You must've missed the little side bar, since "The Fall" has an August 2013 release date.

According to S&S's website, all three books are set to be released in June, July and August 2013, respectively.
Christopher wrote: View Post
Although I was told Rise of the Federation would be the July book, so I'm not sure which is accurate.
Those are the actual release months, rather than the publication months, though, Christopher. Choice is indeed the July book. The full release dates are:

Choice: June 25th
History's: July 30th
Fall, Book I: August 27th
Old November 4 2012, 06:54 PM   #6
shanejayell
Captain

Cool. No details yet but...
Old November 4 2012, 06:59 PM   #7
shivkala
Rear Admiral

DRGIII just posted about the entry on his Facebook page (I'm posting the whole thing for those who don't like Facebook):

Simon & Schuster's website has released some information about a novel I've got coming out next year. It is listed as STAR TREK—THE FALL, BOOK 1: TIME AND REVELATION, and it is listed as a NEXT GENERATION work. So this is where I have to show up and do a little damage control. First of all, as has probably become apparent to readers who pay attention to such things, the editors with whom I work at S&S have developed a policy of referring to novels by title on contracts; this is to avoid having to send to the publicity department titles like STAR TREK—UNTITLED SERIES, BOOK 1: UNTITLED DAVID R. GEORGE III NOVEL. I can't speak for other writers in other circumstances, but in my case, the titles on my contracts are sometimes crafted by my editors, and at other times by me. Sometimes they are genuine attempts to name a novel, and sometimes they are mere placeholders.

In this particular case, I can tell you that the working title of the overall series is indeed THE FALL, and my novel will kick off that series. It will be a September release (meaning that it will begin appearing in bookstores at the end of August). I came up with the title TIME AND REVELATION, but that was simply a working title and has already gone through several additional iterations before I arrived at my current title, which is likely to be the final title. (And no, I can't tell you just yet what that title is.) Finally, my novel will not be a NEXT GENERATION work, but a DEEP SPACE NINE work.

I hope that clears up any confusion (which seems unlikely!).
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 07:26 PM   #8
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Awesome! Hope there are 4-year-gap flashbacks!

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 07:35 PM   #9
DarkHorizon
Captain

Interesting. This bit:
In this particular case, I can tell you that the working title of the overall series is indeed THE FALL, and my novel will kick off that series.
suggests that DRGIII is only writing this particular book, and that this might be a multi-book series by more than one author...
Old November 4 2012, 08:58 PM   #10
Paris
Commodore

DarkHorizon wrote: View Post
Interesting. This bit:
In this particular case, I can tell you that the working title of the overall series is indeed THE FALL, and my novel will kick off that series.
suggests that DRGIII is only writing this particular book, and that this might be a multi-book series by more than one author...
I noticed that too. Maybe the 4 year gap will be told in multiple parts by multiple authors. Or maybe it's something else entirely. Hopefully we find out soon
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 09:18 PM   #11
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

Interesting. Hopefully The Fall is a DS9 only miniseries.
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 09:32 PM   #12
Reanok
Commodore

shivkala wrote: View Post
DRGIII just posted about the entry on his Facebook page (I'm posting the whole thing for those who don't like Facebook):

Simon & Schuster's website has released some information about a novel I've got coming out next year. It is listed as STAR TREK—THE FALL, BOOK 1: TIME AND REVELATION, and it is listed as a NEXT GENERATION work. So this is where I have to show up and do a little damage control. First of all, as has probably become apparent to readers who pay attention to such things, the editors with whom I work at S&S have developed a policy of referring to novels by title on contracts; this is to avoid having to send to the publicity department titles like STAR TREK—UNTITLED SERIES, BOOK 1: UNTITLED DAVID R. GEORGE III NOVEL. I can't speak for other writers in other circumstances, but in my case, the titles on my contracts are sometimes crafted by my editors, and at other times by me. Sometimes they are genuine attempts to name a novel, and sometimes they are mere placeholders.

In this particular case, I can tell you that the working title of the overall series is indeed THE FALL, and my novel will kick off that series. It will be a September release (meaning that it will begin appearing in bookstores at the end of August). I came up with the title TIME AND REVELATION, but that was simply a working title and has already gone through several additional iterations before I arrived at my current title, which is likely to be the final title. (And no, I can't tell you just yet what that title is.) Finally, my novel will not be a NEXT GENERATION work, but a DEEP SPACE NINE work.

I hope that clears up any confusion (which seems unlikely!).
Thanks for posting information from David George about his upcoming Ds9 novel The Fall. I hope this Deep space 9 series will cover the missing four years we've been wanting know about what happened to ceratin characters and storylines .This is awesome news.Next year is going to be a great year for startrek books!
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 09:38 PM   #13
Sho
Fleet Captain

Next Fall read The Fall!
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 09:39 PM   #14
WarsTrek1993
Captain

This is awesome news, I can't wait to read these, especially The Fall and Rise of the Federation.

Let me just sat, DRGIII should be hancuffed to the DS9 chair, based on reading his Typhon Pact Dualogy. (Note: I haven't read his other DS9 works yet).
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 10:24 PM   #15
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

WarsTrek1993 wrote: View Post
This is awesome news, I can't wait to read these, especially The Fall and Rise of the Federation.
Is it just me or do these sound like bookend series? One dealing with the rise of the Federation and the other dealing with its decline.