New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 2 2012, 12:10 PM   #1306
Fer
Commander

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Finished Immortal Coil last night, starting Order 66 today. On deck is Persistence of Memory.
Old November 2 2012, 07:27 PM   #1307
Reanok
Commodore

I just finished reading The Glactic Whirlpool by David Gerrold and StarCrossed by Ben Bova.I haven't bwwn able to find Persistance of Memory at the bokstore right now.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 08:37 PM   #1308
Scout101
Admiral

Just picked up The Twelve, by Justin Cronin. A sequel to The Passage. Good stuff so far, enjoyed the first once a lot.

Nice to see non-sparkly vampires
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 02:15 AM   #1309
ShaunKL
Cadet

View ShaunKL's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to ShaunKL Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ShaunKL

Trying to get Halo: Primordium finished before the game comes out on Tuesday. Then I'll finally get around to reading The Hobbit.
ShaunKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 02:29 AM   #1310
JD
Admiral

Finished up Pakleds: Work is Hard by Greg Cox in ST: Seven Deadly Sins. I'll admit I wasn't quite sure what to think when I first saw a Pakled story in the collection, but Greg Cox did a really good job with them. I thought we got some pretty good world building for them, and the story itself was pretty good. It was nice to get a TV series era TNG story. My rating: 8/10.
Went back to the Urban Fantasy anthology Dark and Stormy Knights.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 01:02 AM   #1311
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I finished Typhon Pact: Brinkmanship today and really enjoyed it. I also read the first collection of Fringe comics today. I'm about to start Burn Notice: The Giveaway.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 02:13 AM   #1312
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Finished up Pakleds: Work is Hard by Greg Cox in ST: Seven Deadly Sins. I'll admit I wasn't quite sure what to think when I first saw a Pakled story in the collection, but Greg Cox did a really good job with them. I thought we got some pretty good world building for them, and the story itself was pretty good. It was nice to get a TV series era TNG story. My rating: 8/10.
Went back to the Urban Fantasy anthology Dark and Stormy Knights.
Thanks. I confess I was a bit daunted when Margaret Clark called me up and said she wanted 20,000 words about the Pakleds.

"The Pakleds, really?"

Now it can be told: that story was actually based on a rejected pitch for a Voyager TV episode. Needless to say, the original pitch focussed on B'Elanna, not Geordi, and involved some random Delta Quadrant race, not the Pakleds, but when I was desperately searching for an idea for the "Sloth" story, I went through my (copious) file of rejected Voyager pitches and found a plot that could reasonably be converted into a Pakled story . . . .

Beyond that, the whole thing is basically a retelling of the sinking of the Titanic, with the Enterprise cast as the Carpathia, racing to the rescue of a foundering ship.

Of course, in this version, the Carpathia gets there in time!
Old November 4 2012, 06:29 AM   #1313
JD
Admiral

I know there were Pakleds on DS9 occasionally during the series, did you intend for any of them to be the Rorpot crew?
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 02:48 PM   #1314
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I know there were Pakleds on DS9 occasionally during the series, did you intend for any of them to be the Rorpot crew?
I didn't have any specific characters in mind, no.

I mostly just watched "Samaritan Snare" again--after tracking down an old VHS copy at a local used bookstore!
Old November 4 2012, 02:57 PM   #1315
Sho
Fleet Captain

VHS in 2009/10?
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 03:37 PM   #1316
rahullak
Fleet Captain

Currently into Star Trek: Typhon Pact: The Persistence of Memory. Unsure of what next after that.
rahullak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 06:26 PM   #1317
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Sho wrote: View Post
VHS in 2009/10?
Yep, it was cheaper and easier than buying a boxed set of DVDs.

Rest assured, I'm slowly converting my Trek library to DVD, but it's on an "as-needed" basis. At the moment, I have all the movies and TOS on DVD, but the later series are represented by a fairly random assortment of episodes on VHS, which you can still pick up pretty cheaply on-line or at this cool used bookstore in Havre de Grace.

I think the last VHS tape I picked up was that Voyager episode about the dead astronaut, which I wanted to rewatch before writing Rings of Time. Again, it was cheaper and more efficient than buying an entire season of Voyager just to research one episode.
Old November 4 2012, 06:39 PM   #1318
Sho
Fleet Captain

^ DVD in 2012?

Sorry . But TOS and TNG are out on Blu-ray! Well, S1 of TNG, with S2 coming this December. It ... makes a bit of a difference:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/image...NET_BEFORE.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/image...ANET_AFTER.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/image...106_BEFORE.jpg
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/image...P106_AFTER.jpg
Old November 4 2012, 06:40 PM   #1319
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Haven't done the Blu-Ray thing yet. Baby steps.

Remember, you're talking to someone who doesn't own a smartphone, has never read an ebook, and wouldn't know how to text, tweet, or torrent if my life depended on it.

Although I did switch from floppy disks to flash drives about a year ago . . . .
Old November 4 2012, 06:47 PM   #1320
Sho
Fleet Captain

I was actually dead-set on DVD being the last physical medium I buy into myself, but with the streaming options still being so unsatisfyingly low-bitrate, I picked up a Blu-ray player just for TNG in the end. Haven't regretted it though, it's been about a decade since I watched the show from start to finish, and with the quality difference there's plenty of new details to oogle at - so I'm watching one episode per week again, like in the old days, seemingly neatly filling the gaps between the season set release dates that way.

Anyways, going widely off-topic, sorry ...