IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 4 2012, 12:03 AM   #91
Christopher
Writer

Re: Coming July 2013: STAR TREK ENTERPRISE — RISE OF THE FEDERATION

Plaristes wrote: View Post
This is great news, Christopher! I'm very interested in this time period, and you're easily my favorite of the current Trek authors (Trek lit just doesn't get any better than the DTI books or The Buried Age).
Thanks!

I'm a little sad to hear that you won't be using the upcoming First 150 Years book as a source. Even authors can't get preprints or pdfs of upcoming books when it's relevant to what they're writing?
If it were from Pocket, sure, but it's from a different publisher.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 12:39 AM   #92
Hando
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Hando Send a message via AIM to Hando Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Hando Send a message via Yahoo to Hando

Truly wonderful news. Good luck.

I just hope that you leave the Federation as a WIP. Not that at the end of the "first" book there will be a fully integrated federation.
Well, perhaps it is time you shatter some preconceptions/deductions I made. (UFP changing form trough the centuries: alliance -> confederation -> federation; President of UFP being just the President of the council, elected based on "species" - think EU Council - only later becoming a true directly elected president - after all just check the Archer presidency, the years don't exactly match up.)

I look forward to see the reason for a new unified uniform within the first year of the founding.
And I would have read even the pre-ENT novel as that era is great mix of anti-canon data.

To the issue of a post-ENT pre-TOS/early UFP Enterprise. There is nothing against there being one or two unmentioned Enterprises in that era - just that they could have been purely United Earth ships, or one could have been built by Vulcans or Andorians in recognition of the NX-01, just that this ship was not seconded to the UFP Starfleet.
Hando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 12:54 AM   #93
Christopher
Writer

^Please be careful with the speculations, okay? We don't want anyone to cross the line into story ideas.

Anyway, whatever the show was called, the focus was on the characters, not the ship. This is the story of the early Federation through the eyes of Archer, T'Pol, and the rest, and that means they're involved with Federation ships and missions.

Old November 4 2012, 01:34 AM   #94
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Point well taken.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 03:03 AM   #95
Plaristes
Lieutenant

Christopher wrote: View Post
If it were from Pocket, sure, but it's from a different publisher.
That still seems a shame, though. I know the various licensees for Lucasfilm share upcoming stuff with each other. I recall when Dan Wallace and Jason Fry were working on Star Wars: The Essential Atlas for Del Rey, they were privy to not only manuscripts for upcoming novels, but advance issues or at least treatments of upcoming Dark Horse comics, scripts from not yet aired Clone Wars episodes, some of the story material from Bioware for the Old Republic mmo, etc. It's too bad CBS doesn't allow that kind of cross-pollination with its licensees.
Old November 4 2012, 03:38 AM   #96
fleetcaptain
Fleet Captain

View fleetcaptain's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to fleetcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to fleetcaptain

Congrats Chris. I remember just reading a few days ago on here, some thought we wouldn't get a book next year for ENT's anniversary and now we are at least getting one book. I was wondering what story could be told about the crew of NX-01 actually after TRW really.
Something I have thought above since every Enterprise has had the 1701 registry and maybe someone within Starfleet thought it would be a tribute for future Enterprises to retain the 01 registry at least, which was probably Trips doing since he was part of the team to work on the Constitution class starship.
fleetcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 04:10 AM   #97
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Hando wrote: View Post
I look forward to see the reason for a new unified uniform within the first year of the founding.
Uniformity.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 04:13 AM   #98
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Hando wrote: View Post
Uniformity.
Perhaps incorporating ideas from uniforms used by the military/exploratory arms of the other member planets. Makes sense to me.
Jar Jar Binks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 05:08 AM   #99
Christopher
Writer

Plaristes wrote: View Post
It's too bad CBS doesn't allow that kind of cross-pollination with its licensees.
It's not forbidden or anything, it's just not as easy to arrange as it is within a single company.

Jar Jar Binks wrote: View Post
Perhaps incorporating ideas from uniforms used by the military/exploratory arms of the other member planets. Makes sense to me.
That is actually kind of what I'm thinking. For instance, have you noticed that Shran's command uniform is partly green, not unlike Kirk's wraparound tunic?

Old November 4 2012, 06:47 AM   #100
Sho
Fleet Captain

Well, basically you're going to be writing the story I was hoping we'd get out of Enterprise back then. Don't screw this up.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 03:59 PM   #101
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Christopher's not already sweating enough???

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 05:40 PM   #102
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Meh, he'll do fine as long as he doesn't do one of trek lit's convoluted explanations where a simple one would do things.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 09:00 PM   #103
Karnbeln
Lieutenant Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
Jar Jar Binks wrote: View Post
Is that really true, though? Maybe there could have been another Enterprise in the years between 2161 and 2245, just with a different registry number. Unless, of course, it's been actually stated on-screen somewhere that the NCC-1701 was absolutely the first Enterprise in Starfleet and I just don't know about it, which is certainly possible.
It was stated onscreen. In "Trials and Tribble-ations," Sisko referred to NCC-1701 as "the first Enterprise" and O'Brien called it "the original Enterprise." Also, the dedication plaque for 1701-A says "Second starship to bear the name," B says "Third," and so on. Although in that case I would assume "the name" means "USS Enterprise" as opposed to just "Enterprise."

Of course, all those references come from before ENT was created, and the existence of an earlier Enterprise is a retcon. But the best rationalization is that NCC-1701 was the first Federation starship of that name.
I've always been OK with assuming such references refer to the famous 1701 lineage only (I believe the continued use and appending of the registry to be abnormal and thus worthy of note on a dedication plaque), but I realize that's a stretch.

If it's not asking for too much story detail, can we expect to see the Enterprise crew still serving together on a different vessel, or will the both cover their individual exploits?

I'm really looking forward to this one.
Karnbeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 09:36 PM   #104
Reanok
Commodore

One thing I hope for is the next Enterprise novel will have larger print.It takes me forever to read all of the latest startrek novels.I've really enjoyed reading the previous Romulan war series of books.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 09:48 PM   #105
Sho
Fleet Captain

I should have made a little more clear: I'm really, really excited about this. Not only is it a story I was hoping the franchise would eventually get to, I'm also really happy that it'll form a new jumping-in point - I'm still too far behind for comfort with some of the other lines, and while I'll hopefully manage to catch up with some of them until this debuts, there's still comfort in the knowledge that this will be something I can share in from the start. That's not a knock against continuity - I really like that the lines require some proper investment from their readers these days; I would be far less motivated to collect them if it weren't so - but a fresh beginning from time to time is nonetheless, well, refreshing.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote