Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 29 2012, 08:58 PM   #16
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Re: Aliens of Trek Lit, Chapter Two: Tzenkethi!

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
I see them when at full-power colour mode, like a more solid, dressed and colourful versions of the "angel aliens" at the end of Knowing. With faces more like Christopher's pic.
That's lovely, I like that. A similar image might be of the Taelons in their natural "energy blush" form, although somewhat more solid.

The first descriptions of them in Rough Beasts of Empire described their colours as only ranging from light green through yellow and orange to bright red. But then The Struggle Within introduced a blue one, and Brinkmanship browns and silvers. So it appears that there are many more colours than we originally thought. So the initial description was not necessarily wrong, just incomplete, only referring to the government echelons.

And it seems that the duller colours correspond to the lower and less prestigious echelons, and the brighter ones to the higher echelons, and even that certain colours specifically match certain jobs (it is said that guards/policemen come in silver). That makes it clear at first sight what echelon a citizen belongs to, with no possibility of mistaking them, and nearly impossible for anyone to move between the levels. All of which perfectly suits their cultural imperative to have everyone in their place and organised and strictly labelled and categorized. It seem likely therefore that the colours are deliberately built in with precisely that purpose. If you're a cleaner, you're brown, and that's that.

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2012, 09:27 PM   #17
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

One thing I mentioned in the Brinkmanship review thread was that I think it's interesting to consider the Tzenkethi in comparison to the Breen. Both are Typhon Pact nations explored in the novels through a vehicle of espionage. One of the two societies, the Breen, insists on citizens hiding their biology, consigning their genetic heritage to the shadows while random, noncontrollable talents define who you are. They accept a sea of variants behind an outward conformity, celebrating diversity but being morally opposed to exhibiting it openly, and its people are all walking around in identical full-body suits. Yet this society is difficult to infiltrate. The other society, the Tzenkethi, is by contrast ordered and structured entirely on the basis of biology, where your genetic heritage determines who you are, where a form of diversity is celebrated precisely because all the myriad variants know their function and place, and where they advertise that function - and thus their biology - openly through visual cues, like the accepted range of their luminescence. Yet this society is relatively easy to insert operatives into.

There's so much ground here for consideration; I hope future stories place the Breen and Tzenkethi in context with one another.
Old October 30 2012, 04:26 AM   #18
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
There's so much ground here for consideration; I hope future stories place the Breen and Tzenkethi in context with one another.
The Breen and Tzenkethi are relatively near neighbours, as the maps seem to indicate.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 12:38 AM   #19
Markonian
Captain

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
The Breen and Tzenkethi are relatively near neighbours, as the maps seem to indicate.
Wouldn't that be the perfect premise for a tragic interspecies love drama, la Romeo and Juliet?
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 01:17 AM   #20
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Markonian wrote: View Post
rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
Wouldn't that be the perfect premise for a tragic interspecies love drama, la Romeo and Juliet?

"O Romeo Tik Lev B! wherefore art thou Romeo Tik Lev B?
Deny thy autarch and refuse thy echelon;
Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And I'll no longer be a Confederate"
Old November 4 2012, 02:28 AM   #21
T'Ressa Dax
Captain

LOL! Too funny!
Old November 4 2012, 09:24 PM   #22
Markonian
Captain

T'Ressa Dax wrote: View Post
LOL! Too funny!
Funny and tragic. A dramedy! Maybe it should involve Lady Troi somehow? She hasn't made an appearance since... well, in ages.
Markonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 03:22 PM   #23
Solarbaby
Fleet Captain

View Solarbaby's Twitter Profile

I havent ready any books since the Destiny trilogy 3 years ago. After reading this thread I read Zero sum game last week and it was an amazing fast pasted thriller. Very different to most Trek novels I have read. I loved the glimpse into Breen society.

I am now reading rough beasts of the Empire. Its is totally different style of writing and I'm not enjoying it at all. The best bits are revealing the Tzenkthi's biology and their society. The story so far seems very lame and not told well.

I started reading a chapter with Sisko onboard the Oginawa(which is set before DS9- but it doesn't mention this). It had me very confused. Thank god for memory Beta to put me back on track

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/STAR-TREK-Absolution/386331754783277?fref=ts[/URL]
Solarbaby is offline   Reply With Quote