Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 3 2012, 03:31 PM   #76
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: Coming July 2013: STAR TREK ENTERPRISE — RISE OF THE FEDERATION

This sounds interesting - I'll certainly give it a look. (Mind you, I just got Rosetta this week, so I'm a bit behind...)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 04:05 PM   #77
Saul
Rear Admiral

Great news, Chris. I think the best man for the job and certainly an era I'm interested in reading about.

I too agree that re-watching Enterprise years later changes my opinion. Once the dust has settled I see there are quite a few good episodes, particularly season 1.

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Honestly though, I'm not against there being an Enterprise between NX-01 and NCC-1701. Seems odd that the name would lay dormant for roughly eighty-five years.
There was Captain Geoffrey Thorpe's USS Enterprise from Harve Bennett's unmade prequel movie, Star Trek: The Academy Years.
Would love to read that script in full. Anyone got it????
Old November 3 2012, 04:11 PM   #78
Reanok
Commodore

Great news I'm so glad we'll get to find out what happens to the Enterprise crew one year after the Romulan war ends.I am glad you mentioned character developement when it comes to the next book.I'm certainly am inters-ed in finding about what happens to Trip&T'pol and Soval and Shran too.I'm so glad Pocket books decided to publish another novel Those of us who are Enterprise fans are really excited about this news!

Last edited by Reanok; November 3 2012 at 10:34 PM.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 04:52 PM   #79
Christopher
Writer

Reanok wrote: View Post
Great news I'm so glad we;ll get to find out what happens to the Enterprise crew one year after the Romulan war ends.
More like two years after the war ends (July 2160), a year after the Federation is founded (August 2161).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 05:52 PM   #80
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Stephen! wrote: View Post

Is there actually a reason for the NX-01 to be in mothballs? Considering Starfleet's losses during the Romulan War and that it still seems to be a functional ship, albeit battle damaged.
NCC-1701 is suppose to be the first Federation ship to have the name Enterprise.
To Brave the Storm indicated that the ship was too badly damaged in the Battle of Cheron to be repairable. As for why they couldn't rebuild it... well, maybe there are reasons for that. All we know is that, as BillJ said, there is no Federation ship named Enterprise until NCC-1701.
I suspect a 'twist' in the Enterprise situation...

I know it's getting a bit ahead of things, but how many novels are you considering, and going up to when ? Would you run it right up to TOS ?
Old November 3 2012, 05:55 PM   #81
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

Looks like I have a reason to check out Enterprise again.
Old November 3 2012, 06:57 PM   #82
Christopher
Writer

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
I know it's getting a bit ahead of things, but how many novels are you considering, and going up to when ? Would you run it right up to TOS ?
At this point I'm just trying to focus on getting the one novel written. Beyond that, it's all hypothetical, but I think that with a title like Enterprise -- Rise of the Federation, further books would stick pretty close to the early years.

Old November 3 2012, 07:08 PM   #83
Kertrats47
Commodore

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
At this point I'm just trying to focus on getting the one novel written. Beyond that, it's all hypothetical, but I think that with a title like Enterprise -- Rise of the Federation, further books would stick pretty close to the early years.
That said, a title like "Rise" of the Federation allows for a little more range than something like "Birth" of the Federation would. I'm pretty excited to see where this can go!
Trek Lit Reviews (The Next Generation #45: Intellivore by Diane Duane - December 14th, 2014)
2014 Star Trek Book Releases
Kertrats47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 07:39 PM   #84
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain

Sounds neat. I'm looking forward to the new DS9 novel as well next year.
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 08:27 PM   #85
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Stephen! wrote: View Post
Is there actually a reason for the NX-01 to be in mothballs? Considering Starfleet's losses during the Romulan War and that it still seems to be a functional ship, albeit battle damaged.
NCC-1701 is suppose to be the first Federation ship to have the name Enterprise.
To Brave the Storm indicated that the ship was too badly damaged in the Battle of Cheron to be repairable. As for why they couldn't rebuild it... well, maybe there are reasons for that. All we know is that, as BillJ said, there is no Federation ship named Enterprise until NCC-1701.
Is that really true, though? Maybe there could have been another Enterprise in the years between 2161 and 2245, just with a different registry number. Unless, of course, it's been actually stated on-screen somewhere that the NCC-1701 was absolutely the first Enterprise in Starfleet and I just don't know about it, which is certainly possible.
Hanukkah Solo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 08:51 PM   #86
Christopher
Writer

Jar Jar Binks wrote: View Post
Is that really true, though? Maybe there could have been another Enterprise in the years between 2161 and 2245, just with a different registry number. Unless, of course, it's been actually stated on-screen somewhere that the NCC-1701 was absolutely the first Enterprise in Starfleet and I just don't know about it, which is certainly possible.
It was stated onscreen. In "Trials and Tribble-ations," Sisko referred to NCC-1701 as "the first Enterprise" and O'Brien called it "the original Enterprise." Also, the dedication plaque for 1701-A says "Second starship to bear the name," B says "Third," and so on. Although in that case I would assume "the name" means "USS Enterprise" as opposed to just "Enterprise."

Of course, all those references come from before ENT was created, and the existence of an earlier Enterprise is a retcon. But the best rationalization is that NCC-1701 was the first Federation starship of that name.

Old November 3 2012, 08:58 PM   #87
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Jar Jar Binks wrote: View Post
It was stated onscreen. In "Trials and Tribble-ations," Sisko referred to NCC-1701 as "the first Enterprise" and O'Brien called it "the original Enterprise." Also, the dedication plaque for 1701-A says "Second starship to bear the name," B says "Third," and so on. Although in that case I would assume "the name" means "USS Enterprise" as opposed to just "Enterprise."
Bah! I can't believe I forgot those references. I just watched "Trials and Tribble-ations" relatively recently.

Yeah, I personally wouldn't have a problem with there being another Federation Enterprise existing prior to the NCC-1701, but if it's actually been stated in-universe that there wasn't, then there you go.
Hanukkah Solo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 09:56 PM   #88
Plaristes
Lieutenant

This is great news, Christopher! I'm very interested in this time period, and you're easily my favorite of the current Trek authors (Trek lit just doesn't get any better than the DTI books or The Buried Age). I'm a little sad to hear that you won't be using the upcoming First 150 Years book as a source. Even authors can't get preprints or pdfs of upcoming books when it's relevant to what they're writing?
Old November 3 2012, 10:04 PM   #89
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Sounds like a very good match for your considerable talents Christopher, good luck with it.
Old November 3 2012, 11:24 PM   #90
Darth Duck
Commodore

Thank god a decent author is writing an Enterprise novel again.
Darth Duck is offline   Reply With Quote