Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: So which of the Captain's would you want to serve under?
TOS: Captain James Tiberius Kirk 14 21.54%
TNG: Captain Jean-Luc Picard 24 36.92%
DS9: Captain Benjamin Lafayette Sisko 18 27.69%
VOY: Captain Kathryn Janeway 5 7.69%
ENT: Captain Jonathan Archer 3 4.62%
STXI: Captain James Tiberius Kirk AKA Kirk 2.0 1 1.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 3 2012, 12:15 PM   #16
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: Which Captain would you want to serve under?

^ He may be arguably approachable (though, I'd count other captains as approachable as well), but he's not the most competent. So, you might get his "help," but it might not actually be help, if you know what I mean. Still, I've got no problems with anyone picking Archer. It's a personal choice.

teacock wrote: View Post
Spook/Hoorah! Admirer wrote: View Post
It would be silly to pick a younger one though, just because the older one would have more experience and you might have less chance of dying.
Well, at least we know when the old one dies, so that's a plus on his side if you started out with TOS Kirk.
Oh yeah, everyone would be in terror as the self destruct sequence counted down on the Enterprise and you'd be sitting there thinking, nope not gonna die today.
True.

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
It has to be Sisko. Picard is a close second mind you.
Same here. Picard is a very close second for me. After that, I'd choose original Kirk.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 01:18 PM   #17
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

^ He may be arguably approachable (though, I'd count other captains as approachable as well), but he's not the most competent. So, you might get his "help," but it might not actually be help, if you know what I mean. Still, I've got no problems with anyone picking Archer. It's a personal choice.

Well, at least we know when the old one dies, so that's a plus on his side if you started out with TOS Kirk.
Oh yeah, everyone would be in terror as the self destruct sequence counted down on the Enterprise and you'd be sitting there thinking, nope not gonna die today.
True.
Except.. maybe Kirk got beamed out at the last second by alien benefactors and you went kaboom.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 01:30 PM   #18
Bamarren
Lieutenant

Sisko for me, coolest man in all the galaxy, probably with Picard second.

The man punched Q, that is all
Bamarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 03:41 PM   #19
sonak
Vice Admiral

Picard-he's the least impulsive and most likely to keep his crew safe.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 06:29 PM   #20
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

^ It's true that Picard is the least impulsive, but that also means that he's the most deliberate out of the bunch. So, situations that don't require a lot of quick decision making are ideal for him. That doesn't mean that he can't make quick decisions, just like Sisko and Kirk being better at it doesn't mean that they couldn't and didn't deliberate over things that required deliberation.

Each one of the three has something special about them that the others don't have or don't have so much, and conversely each one of the three doesn't have something as much as the other one or two.

Picard is the natural diplomat out of the bunch. So, he likes to sit down and get comforable and talk. He wants his counterparts to be comfortable for talking too, because I think he usually expects the conversations/negotiations to take some time. This is where he shines, I think, the most because that's what diplomats do. Plus, you know you'll get to have tea with cream and sugar lumps, and maybe even some cookies too. None of the other captains do that. Picard is ideal for diplomatic missions.

Sisko is the natural "get it done" guy. He's the one you want if you've got a lot of things happening all at once, and they are happening fast, and you need results. He had a space station to rebuild and then run, a people to be an Emissary to, wormhole aliens to deal with, The Dominion war and all that that entailed, plus a son to raise on top of it. He's more or less like, "I've got a schedule to keep, so this is what I/we can do for you, now what can you do for me/us?" Sisko is ideal for when the $%#! is hitting the fan.

And Kirk (and all of this is my opinion of course) is the smooth snake charmer. I think out of all of the captains, he's best at manipulating things/people to get a certain outcome (when possible). Kirk is ideal when you need someone that is good at "maneuvering."

I think all 3 are pretty equal at keeping their crews safe, but that's just me.

True.
Except.. maybe Kirk got beamed out at the last second by alien benefactors and you went kaboom.
Oh, I don't think Kirk is that sleazy. The captain is responsible for his/her crew, and to give the crew the slip to save himself would be... Well, he's not that sleazy. I think he would put the crew first.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Old November 3 2012, 06:52 PM   #21
kirsten187
Napoleonic Power Monger

View kirsten187's Twitter Profile

Picard, definitely. But Sisko wouldn't be too bad either.
Old November 3 2012, 07:00 PM   #22
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I'd have to say Picard. Out of all of them, he is the least likely to throw away the lives of subordinates on some fool's errand. I would trust him more than any other of those captains, not to get me killed.

The *least* likely for me to serve with? NuKirk. I realize he's young, but he's also an immature jackass (i.e. the bar fight) who jumped in rank from Lieutenant to Captain without deserving it. No way would I ever serve under his command.
Old November 3 2012, 07:15 PM   #23
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Kirk, he at least has fun at his job.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 07:26 PM   #24
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ That's the problem.
Old November 3 2012, 07:46 PM   #25
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Kirk - too much if a cowboy, would probably get me killed

Picard - too much of an old granny, and that also has its dangers, sometimes you gotta roll the hard six

Sisko - an ass kicker when he needs to be, but also capable of taking a wait and see or even sneaky and underhanded approach

Janeway - too bipolar, which Janeway is she today?

Archer - how did he even get to be a captain?!?

NuKirk - still under development as a character, ask me again next summer

Winner: Sisko
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 08:21 PM   #26
Skywalker
Admiral

Actually, I think by Season Four Archer was a much more competent captain and a strong leader. I wouldn't be as hesitant to trust my life to that Archer as much as I would the Archer of the early episodes.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 10:33 PM   #27
sonak
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

why is this a plus if you're a subordinate under him? The question is "who would you want to serve under," not "most fun to watch."

Kirk is fun to watch, but he's also way too casual about danger and risk, and if you're a junior ensign, he's NOT the captain you want to serve under.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 10:39 PM   #28
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

True.
Oh, I don't think Kirk is that sleazy. The captain is responsible for his/her crew, and to give the crew the slip to save himself would be... Well, he's not that sleazy. I think he would put the crew first.
Of course I mean beamed out against his will.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 11:56 PM   #29
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

sonak's transporter ghost wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

why is this a plus if you're a subordinate under him? The question is "who would you want to serve under," not "most fun to watch."

Kirk is fun to watch, but he's also way too casual about danger and risk, and if you're a junior ensign, he's NOT the captain you want to serve under.
And if Kirk is in charge if I'm up shit creek, he'll do something while Picard has a staffmeeting about it or would go ahab on it and use me as canon fodder, Archer will get beaten up in the rescue attempt, Sisko will either launch a rescue or leave me reliant on an enemy's heel face turn unless he's on a quest for the prophets then he might let me die, and Janeway only cares about her precious senior staff so I'd be screwed.

The jury is still out on NuKirk

As for danger If your in Starfleet you signed up for it. At least in TOS the danger would come from. Fun adventure that everyone was enjoying for the most part rather than being grim and serious all the freaking time while occasionally boring me with the holier than thou speeches about how perfect humanity is.

Besides Redshirts mostly die from doing stupid stuff, so I like my chances there.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 01:29 AM   #30
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

I can't say that I ever saw a TOS episode that looked fun or like the crew was having fun, but then I haven't seen them all... Sisko never left a crew member behind. Proof? By the end of the series, his crew was safe and sound. The only one that died was Jadzia, and that was on the station by the hands of a possessed Gul Dukat, not because she was kidnapped and Sisko failed to launch a rescue attempt or because of poor security (DS9 had the best security chief in Odo out of them all). The Sisko wouldn't do that.

No matter though, like I said, each one of my top 3 has something special about them, and none would just leave a crew member behind.

@teacake - Of course you did.