Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 2 2012, 08:56 PM   #511
Mott the barber
Commodore

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

trekker670 wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote: View Post
Mott the barber wrote: View Post
To those complaining about the extras... seriously!? These extras are amazing when you consider how many years ago we're talking here.
I'm psyched!
Who is complaining about the extra's? If you read properly you will see the only ire people have had is with being mislead. I too am "psyched"!
Agreed, I think everyone will agree that the VAM in Season 2 is amazing, probably the best of any Trek released yet. I think the "letdown" many people are expressing is that these other extras were really hyped up and expected to be revolutionary, but IMO deleted scenes and bloopers are a routine (even expected) addition to most DVD/Bluray releases.

That said, I'm hyped about S2 and December can't get here soon enough!
I get what you guys are saying. I guess what I mean is, to me, and considering how long ago this season was, the fact they got 13 never before seen minutes, is amazing. I just don't know what more people were realistically expecting. 3D?
Old November 2 2012, 10:20 PM   #512
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

bullethead wrote: View Post
I want to preorder this so bad, but my PC might not be able to play thanks to encryption nonsense.
Did your S1 discs play? They have new encryption keys too. S2 will likely have the same ones.
Old November 2 2012, 10:28 PM   #513
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
I want to preorder this so bad, but my PC might not be able to play thanks to encryption nonsense.
Did your S1 discs play? They have new encryption keys too. S2 will likely have the same ones.
I never got S1. I held off because of the audio glitches and because S1's episode lineup wasn't all that great, so I have no idea if it works with the latest AACS decrypter that VLC uses.
Old November 2 2012, 11:12 PM   #514
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

I never got S1. I held off because of the audio glitches and because S1's episode lineup wasn't all that great, so I have no idea if it works with the latest AACS decrypter that VLC uses.
Get yourself a program called AnyDVD HD and you'll be good to go with any disc!
Old November 2 2012, 11:23 PM   #515
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Unfortunately, the S1 discs don't play even with the latest version of VLC, so you'd have to try another software player, or decrypt the discs first... or find an inexpensive Blu-ray player.

If you have a jailbroken PS3, the latest custom firmware that's out now (4.30) has the current AACS keys. When I first got the S1 set, I couldn't play the discs and had to use my $50 Panasonic player I got last December.
Old November 3 2012, 08:59 AM   #516
Scotty
Rear Admiral

trekker670 wrote: View Post
I think the "letdown" many people are expressing is that these other extras were really hyped up and expected to be revolutionary, but IMO deleted scenes and bloopers are a routine (even expected) addition to most DVD/Bluray releases.
For crying out loud! Absolutely no-one implied that the extras would be revolutionary. If anyone is disappointed with these extra features they're just bloody ingrates IMO. For one we get deleted scenes, pretty much a first for Trek shows, if you disregard Ent. We're getting a totally remastered EXTENDED frigging version of Measure of a Man and audio commentaries. And let's not forget that all episodes have been remastered from 35 mm. What the hell more do you want?
Old November 3 2012, 12:02 PM   #517
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Amazon lowered the price to $79.99, so I finally pre-ordered it
Old November 3 2012, 08:53 PM   #518
RAMA
Vice Admiral

These extras are the greatest ever....I caught a glimpse of the new theatrical event trailer and the split second of Q Who borg interior footage impressed me! I just pre-ordered it after the price came down!!
Old November 3 2012, 09:20 PM   #519
mswood
Rear Admiral

Yeah I paused up on that. Not the greatest matte ever (at least by what we could see), but still for the time, and for what it was trying to show us, it was very impressive for a weekly tv series.
Old November 3 2012, 10:27 PM   #520
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Nice healthy amount of grain in that new footage. I like it. Looks just like S1. Certain shots in the S2 trailer on the S1 set were quite heavily DNR'd:

Old November 3 2012, 10:42 PM   #521
MickJo1701
Commander

Nice healthy amount of grain in that new footage. I like it. Looks just like S1. Certain shots in the S2 trailer on the S1 set were quite heavily DNR'd:

That looks infinitely better without a DNR scrub, any ideas why they it was done for the shots in the trailer?
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 10:57 PM   #522
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post

That looks infinitely better without a DNR scrub, any ideas why they it was done for the shots in the trailer?
Probably to make the shots look more consistent for the trailer and the file size smaller... or possibly to make it look artificially "cleaner" for a mass audience normally put off by grainy images -- even if that's the way the film stock is supposed to look from that era.
Old November 3 2012, 11:20 PM   #523
MickJo1701
Commander

MickJo1701 wrote: View Post

Probably to make the shots look more consistent for the trailer and the file size smaller... or possibly to make it look artificially "cleaner" for a mass audience normally put off by grainy images -- even if that's the way the film stock is supposed to look from that era.
That's a relief, I always wondered why the 'quick fire' shots at the end of the trailer had their film grain intact but the shots of Q Who and Contagion made Picard et all look as if they were made of rubber
Old November 3 2012, 11:22 PM   #524
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Yes folks, please don't put too much stock in the image quality from the trailers - As Maxwell Everett points out, they sometimes apply DNR or adjust contrast/brightness/brilliance to fit the "mood" of the trailer. And sometimes they use temporary shots if a particular FX shot is not yet ready!
Old November 3 2012, 11:56 PM   #525
MickJo1701
Commander

mswood wrote: View Post
Yeah I paused up on that. Not the greatest matte ever (at least by what we could see), but still for the time, and for what it was trying to show us, it was very impressive for a weekly tv series.
Just looking at this new matte, its definitely been CGI enhanced and an improvement over the original. I cant really make it out very well I think there are some first contact style alcoves in there, the telltale is the green plasma disks. Can anyone one see them?