RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,568
Posts: 5,402,575
Members: 24,865
Currently online: 664
Newest member: shyrim

TrekToday headlines

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 3 2012, 02:18 AM   #601
teacake
Admiral
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Mark Hamill as an aged Luke: That's like the best nostalgia drawcard you could come up with. All the old farts who haven't paid attention to anything SW since the OT will go along, just to relive a bit. They might not show up to something they could write off as post OT silliness with Mouse ears. But give them a trailer with the elder Luke staring at Tatooine's suns setting and it's gold.

This will have absolutely zero effect on a young audience who grew up on the PT. They will be there.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 02:37 AM   #602
sidious618
Admiral
 
sidious618's Avatar
 
Location: New York, US
Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Just got some internet access so I'm late to this but I'm thrilled about the news. If they end up sucking we still have the old ones but if they rock then it's great. Interested to see where they intend to go with this. As I'm just getting caught up and have limited internet time, have any plot developments been confirmed so far?
__________________
We've met before, haven't we?
sidious618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 02:42 AM   #603
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral
 
Jar Jar Binks's Avatar
 
Location: Skywalker
Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

teacock wrote: View Post
But give them a trailer with the elder Luke staring at Tatooine's suns setting and it's gold.
I'm geeking out just from picturing this.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 02:55 AM   #604
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral
 
Flying Spaghetti Monster's Avatar
 
Location: Flying Spaghetti Western
Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Since this decision, I've always been a bit split.

STar Wars is a special, in some basic, foundational way.. it looks and feels unlike anything else, and this look and feel is consistent throughout its own universe. It mixes the storytelling of fantasy with the trappings of science fiction. It was not just perfect escapism, but it spoke to the human imagination in a very basic way, and its characters truly became our modern mythology, becoming more recognizable to our culture than Odyseus and Achillies.

So, in some ways, the time period during which STar Wars was most special was during the time when there wasn't much Star Wars at all, the 16 years between episode six and episode one. It was special and we all were eager for more stories but didn't want the mythology to be cheapened, or its unique feel to come to easy. Even as a kid, I knew the tremendous lengths the filmmakers had to go through to make the films, and how they changed the everything by being so innovative in every aspect of the film.

The prospect of getting so much Star Wars, then is both good, because the universe is so rich and unique and so many good stories can be told there, but I don't want the franchise cheapened. But I think that the "new" powers that be must come to realize that there is so much meaning to this franchise. It shouldn't be a "let's slap a story together and finish the script after we start shooting" philosophy that damaged the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.

So I'm hopeful, and eager to see a new take on stories set in this wondrous universe. The first post here, written years ago points out that even the OT had plot points that really don't hold up well, but that these stories were set in this unique universe really was a big part of what made them special.
__________________
See, the problem is that you are using your cards to show me what cards you have, and if you can't see that this is viciously circular, then there is no point in continuing
Flying Spaghetti Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 03:34 AM   #605
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral
 
PsychoPere's Avatar
 
Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Jar Jar Binks wrote: View Post
teacock wrote: View Post
But give them a trailer with the elder Luke staring at Tatooine's suns setting and it's gold.
I'm geeking out just from picturing this.
And a Jedi outpost built around the old Lars homestead...
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 03:35 AM   #606
SiddFinch1
Commander
 
SiddFinch1's Avatar
 
Location: State of Mind
Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

sojourner wrote: View Post
Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
I've already explained where I got my "crazy idea" but I'll go over it again in summary:<snip>
The thing you keep missing is that when people think of Luke they immediately picture Mark Hamill. Recasting is a bigger risk than aging the character to match the actor when doing a continuing story. It can work well for a reboot, but that's not happening here.

And Eonline agrees if you actually read the article all the way through.
If you can do it for kirk.spock and Mccoy you can do it here too
__________________
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans: John Lennon
SiddFinch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 03:40 AM   #607
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
Ghouleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

teacock wrote: View Post
Mark Hamill as an aged Luke: That's like the best nostalgia drawcard you could come up with. All the old farts who haven't paid attention to anything SW since the OT will go along, just to relive a bit. They might not show up to something they could write off as post OT silliness with Mouse ears. But give them a trailer with the elder Luke staring at Tatooine's suns setting and it's gold.

This will have absolutely zero effect on a young audience who grew up on the PT. They will be there.
This. x 2.

Nailed it.
__________________
"On Halloween night the Great Temporal Pumpkin rises out of the Chroniton patch and flies through space to bring new timelines to all the good little children of the galaxy." -cooleddie74
Ghouleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 03:56 AM   #608
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

And they just rebuilt the Lars Homestead in Tunisia!
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 04:01 AM   #609
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral
 
Ancient Mariner's Avatar
 
Location: Sailing for adventure on the Big Blue Wet Thing™
View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
teacock wrote: View Post
Mark Hamill as an aged Luke: That's like the best nostalgia drawcard you could come up with. All the old farts who haven't paid attention to anything SW since the OT will go along, just to relive a bit. They might not show up to something they could write off as post OT silliness with Mouse ears. But give them a trailer with the elder Luke staring at Tatooine's suns setting and it's gold.

This will have absolutely zero effect on a young audience who grew up on the PT. They will be there.
This. x 2.

Nailed it.
x3 ... don't discount nostalgia ... and don't discount the need to establish a new identity. A "passing of the baton" scenario is highly likely - and will no doubt result in endless internet nerdrage.
__________________
Ancient Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 04:31 AM   #610
Brolan
Commodore
 
Brolan's Avatar
 
Location: Backwoods Minnesota
Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
teacock wrote: View Post
Mark Hamill as an aged Luke: That's like the best nostalgia drawcard you could come up with. All the old farts who haven't paid attention to anything SW since the OT will go along, just to relive a bit. They might not show up to something they could write off as post OT silliness with Mouse ears. But give them a trailer with the elder Luke staring at Tatooine's suns setting and it's gold.

This will have absolutely zero effect on a young audience who grew up on the PT. They will be there.
This. x 2.

Nailed it.
x3 ... don't discount nostalgia ... and don't discount the need to establish a new identity. A "passing of the baton" scenario is highly likely - and will no doubt result in endless internet nerdrage.
Just like Star Trek '09.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 04:58 AM   #611
Creepy Critter
Admiral
 
Creepy Critter's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
Ghouleddie74 wrote: View Post
teacock wrote: View Post
Mark Hamill as an aged Luke: That's like the best nostalgia drawcard you could come up with. All the old farts who haven't paid attention to anything SW since the OT will go along, just to relive a bit. They might not show up to something they could write off as post OT silliness with Mouse ears. But give them a trailer with the elder Luke staring at Tatooine's suns setting and it's gold.

This will have absolutely zero effect on a young audience who grew up on the PT. They will be there.
This. x 2.

Nailed it.
x3 ... don't discount nostalgia ... and don't discount the need to establish a new identity. A "passing of the baton" scenario is highly likely - and will no doubt result in endless internet nerdrage.
Could even be a passing of the lightsaber scene.
__________________
CorporalCaptain
Creepy Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 05:18 AM   #612
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

Timothy Zahn chimes in...

"The original idea as I understood it— and Lucas changes his mind off and on, so it may not be what he’s thinking right now – but it was going to be three generations. You’d have the original trilogy, then go back to Luke’s father and find out what happened to him [in the prequels], and if there was another 7th, 8th, or 9th film, it would be Luke’s children. The Thrawn Trilogy really would have fit into the gap," Zahn said.

...

"I’d like to see the original characters in perhaps smaller roles, handing the mantle of adventure to the next generation. Luke would be like Obi-Wan, but not quite the same because he will have raised his children and Obi-Wan was more standing off, watching and protecting.
“I’d love to see a good father-son, or mother-son, or daughter story. I’d like to see family. We haven’t seen a lot of good family stuff in Star Wars. A lot of it has been dysfunctional, and driven by somebody else. Anakin was a slave and manipulated all his life. Luke and Leia never knew each other...
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 05:29 AM   #613
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Behind the mask of Donald Draper
Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

That is exactly what I been hoping for too. The Obi-Wan comparison makes sense for age and experience. But Luke barely knew Obi-Wan before he died. I think while Luke's role maybe less than it was in the OT it will be larger than Obi-Wan's was.

Last edited by Dick Whitman; November 3 2012 at 05:40 AM.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 05:37 AM   #614
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

I like Timothy Zahn's comment about family, actually. Family has been one of the biggest themes of Star Wars as a film series (given its sometimes almost myopic obsession with the Skywalker clan), but it's mostly been presented dysfunctionally, as he says.

And having Luke be the Obi-Wan to his actual child (or children) would be pretty interesting. Not to mention Aunt Leia and Uncle Han. It'd be funny to have at least one scene of those two in their understated old age shoving their kids out the front door for adventure.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3 2012, 05:37 AM   #615
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Star Wars Episode 7 - 2015

What Zahn is talking about there sounds great to to me.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
disney, lucasfilm, star wars

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.