MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 2 2012, 04:01 PM   #436
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: Red Dwarf series 9 (or is it 10?) in 2012 confirmed by Craig Charl

I have been wondering the same as Guy about their trip to the past. You wouldn't think they'd be so ready to go back to the lonely ship.

Regarding the last ep, what do you guys make of the sha-raids/sha-rahds exchange with Cat and Kryten? Was that for the benefit of a potential American audience? It just seemed odd to me.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 04:04 PM   #437
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

They advertised the DVDs after last night's show. I guess Santa will be putting a lot of those in xmas socks this chrimbo.
Old November 2 2012, 04:19 PM   #438
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

But what they're really hoping for is new viewers who have to back and get all 10 seasons on dvd for a first view.

"wait 5 years, and then come here and get married."

Although seeing the other end of Future Echoes (Past Echoes?) would be fantastic too.

Go back to Judea 30 ad with a couple bazookoids and they could set themselves up as gods... Mankind dies out. That means that time is for shit. Any change that will see the human race still waddling around in 3,000,000 ad is a good... They just have to find the point where everything started to go wrong for the species and it's empire.

Of course then they run the risk of playing doubles tennis with the Gorings.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 04:21 PM   #439
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

This has been a viewing success and I expect it'll be a commercial success too, so it wouldn't be surprising if they go for another season.
Old November 2 2012, 07:56 PM   #440
Lonemagpie
Writer

Yesterday's was OK - episode 2 is still the best

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 10:05 PM   #441
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

"Dear Dave" actually reminded me a lot of S1/S2 Rd Dwarf. Few extra characters (and none really seen save for letters and talking vending machines), few special effects, and some weird plot machinations that mean a lot for some reason despite coming from dead people or machines you can't possibly have a real relationship with.

Still really confused with this JMC thing. Aren't they all dead? Why are they listening to them now? The Space Corps apparently figured into the first episode too. Why is deep space, 3M+ years in the future so full of people from their time?

Through S7 or so, nothing they ran into (derelicts, etc.) came from any later than the 30th century or so. I always took this to mean that humanity died out or otherwise vanished around then, and the Dwarf crew were generally picking through the leftovers without figuring out what happened...

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 10:09 PM   #442
Saul
Rear Admiral

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post

Still really confused with this JMC thing. Aren't they all dead? Why are they listening to them now? The Space Corps apparently figured into the first episode too. Why is deep space, 3M+ years in the future so full of people from their time?
There aren't any people. It's the ships JMC computer that they are having contact with.
Old November 2 2012, 10:23 PM   #443
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Hum, I went back and you're indeed right. Perhaps this then is something that Holly would normally have taken care of, but without him now the gang has to deal with it.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 10:45 PM   #444
inflatabledalek
Captain

Probably the first real weak one, which considering we're near the end isn't to bad.

But because nothing much happened (though once again Cat stole the show) I wound up wondering about continuity. Which you should never do with Red Dwarf. Today I also happened to watch Better Than Life, the first episode with a mail pod reaching the ship. Which had me wondering at what point Earth stopped sending mail to this lost ship, and how one that reached the ship at least a decade after the first could have mail for Lister that must have been sent less than nine months before the accident...

And if there is still a Jupiter Mining Corporation out there that cares enough to pester Rimmer about his rank, surely they'd want their ship back? It's not as if they do any mining or anything like that. It's really strange to have Lister moaning about the loneliness of being out in space with no other humans and in complete isolation whilst Rimmer is having to deal with the bureaucracy of their original bosses.

As for the season to date as a whole... It's been fine. But I don't think there's been a single successful moment that wasn't very like something an earlier episode did better. As I said back with the first episode, it is Last of the Summer Wine for people who grew up in the '90's. Nice, safe and repetitive doing exactly what people expect it to do. Which is fine in and of itself, but not what the show used to be. Dave could quite happily have repeated old episodes in these slots and it would have been hard to tell the difference.
Old November 2 2012, 10:54 PM   #445
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I have to wonder what the responses would have been like every week had this board been around in when RD started in the 80s. Yes. The 80s. The fact that the cast look good and can still make us laugh is a fucking miracle. It also says a lot about what a risk the original commissioners took with a very young cast.
Old November 2 2012, 11:02 PM   #446
inflatabledalek
Captain

Frau Blucher wrote: View Post
I have to wonder what the responses would have been like every week had this board been around in when RD started in the 80s. Yes. The 80s. The fact that the cast look good and can still make us laugh is a fucking miracle. It also says a lot about what a risk the original commissioners took with a very young cast.
The response to series one was fairly mediocre at the time wasn't it? On the series two DVD easter egg (and likely elsewhere) Ed Bye and Rob'N'Doug talk about how they suspect the show only got recommissioned at all because Michael Grade wanted to give his successor an absolute stinker (likely a theory with no basis in reality, but the fact the people making the show find it plausible shows it wasn't all that well loved when it launched).
Old November 2 2012, 11:06 PM   #447
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

How many shows really bed in the first season? They got the gig for another season and the rest is history. Until they outstayed their welcome and then it all went to shit. Until recently.
Old November 2 2012, 11:17 PM   #448
inflatabledalek
Captain

Frau Blucher wrote: View Post
How many shows really bed in the first season? They got the gig for another season and the rest is history. Until they outstayed their welcome and then it all went to shit. Until recently.

So that still means the reaction of the internet if it had existed at the time would have been about the same as the general reaction was at the time (after all, no one watching knew it would go on to become a great show any more than they would have if they'd had the internet).

Craig Charles likes to joke that the number of people he's met over the years who have told him they were there from the start and always loved the show outstrip the first years ratings by a huge margin.
Old November 3 2012, 12:01 AM   #449
ITL
Vice Admiral

I seem to remember watching S1 from episode 3 onwards when it was first broadcast - I didn't even know what it was until a friend told me about it...
Old November 3 2012, 12:02 AM   #450
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

The first season of Red Dwarf is still my favourite.

This season has been pretty strong, I enjoyed the most recent one.

It makes no sense for them to have gone back to the ship when they were on earth in the past, but TV rarely makes sense.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote