MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 1 2012, 07:35 PM   #361
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

sojourner wrote: View Post
My interpretation of Shane's "I thought you were dead" comment is " I boarded you into you're room as the hospital fell into chaos, I never got a chance to go back and look for you later because the place was overrun with zombies. Most likely you were dead".
Yeah, I think that's about it.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2012, 10:48 PM   #362
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Immolatus wrote: View Post
RJDemonicus wrote: View Post
But didn't Rick lay there for several days without medical care or food before becoming mobile again?

you can go several days without food or water
I probably could, but I haven't been critically wounded. And, apparently, it was actually several weeks. Plus, there was that business with Carl healing so quickly.

I know that he's not a "living zombie" in the books, but the show seems to be departing from the original story in many ways. Also, has the book given any explanation or details on the virus?
Old November 1 2012, 11:27 PM   #363
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Plus, there was that business with Carl healing so quickly.
You mean like virtually every other character injured in a tv show or movie? Yep, that's conclusive evidence.
Old November 2 2012, 12:02 AM   #364
Snowlilly
Lieutenant

DarthTom wrote: View Post
But didn't Rick lay there for several days without medical care or food before becoming mobile again?
The onscreen timeline doesn't make sense at least to me.

A. Rick after being shot falls into a coma

B. Zombie Apocalypse occurs while he remains unconscious

C. Hospital over run by Zombie's Shane abandons Rick and packs up Carl and Lori and they leave town

D. Helicopters are seen bombing the city of Atlanta [which by the way shows no evidence of mass destruction later]

E. Shane, Carl and Lori hook up with Dale et al and camp out near small liake

F. Presumably many, many days pass and Rick wakes up from a coma and discovers hospital is over run and heads up searching for them.

OK, based on this here are my questions where the onscreen timeline falls apart:

So Lori hooks up with Shane just a few days after Rick is thought to be dead and they begin a sexual relationship?

While Rick is connected to an iv in the hospital It's my understanding that the human body can only go 3 possibly 4 days without water but onscreen we're at least lead to believe its a much longer time?

It's unclear what amount of time passes between after Rick wakes up and he reaches Atlanta by horse?
I had that same thinking, because the body definitely can not go without fluids for more than a 3-4 days and they definitely implied it was longer. But even if it was say a week or even 2.......like you said, what was Lori doing already having sex with Shane?? Even if she thought Rick was dead, must have been some kind of love to just jump ship and shack up with Shane. Floosy......have not liked her through any of the seasons.
Snowlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 09:33 AM   #365
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

You mean like virtually every other character injured in a tv show or movie? Yep, that's conclusive evidence.
No, it's not conclusive evidence, but considering the severity of the wound and the impromptu surgery by a veterinarian, it does seem notable. I can't think of any other examples of such severe wounds healing so quickly and completely.
Old November 2 2012, 01:04 PM   #366
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Snowlilly wrote: View Post
like you said, what was Lori doing already having sex with Shane?? Even if she thought Rick was dead, must have been some kind of love to just jump ship and shack up with Shane. Floosy......have not liked her through any of the seasons.
Lori also slept with Shane in the comics, but from the way it was portrayed, it happened only one time on the road, and she was extremely depressed and despondent and and wasn't in her right mind. It never happened again, but it was enough for Shane to believe that she was his woman now.

I could understand what happened with comic Lori, but yea, TV Lori just comes across as a manipulative bitch, using what she has to assure she has a protector.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 04:31 PM   #367
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

No, it's not conclusive evidence, but considering the severity of the wound and the impromptu surgery by a veterinarian, it does seem notable. I can't think of any other examples of such severe wounds healing so quickly and completely.
Randall (the guy whose leg was impaled that they voted to execute) was hobbled that episode, and Daryl even used the wound to torture him, but as soon as the next episode doesn't seem to be suffering any lingering effects when Rick and Shane have their all-out throwdown. Which wasn't as serious as Carl's injuries but it was still pretty rapid.
Old November 2 2012, 04:34 PM   #368
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Not too clear on the exact timeline myself, but wasn't Rick on a drip? They should have kept him hydrated for a least a while. Not long mind, but enough I think to allow him to last about a week on his own. IIRC you can go a *long* time between meals and live, but three days is about as long as you can go without water.

Actually, come to think of it, aren't coma patients supposed to be put on nutritional IV as well as just fluid replacement?

Of course Rick spent the whole time in bed, not moving and thus not burning many calories. So even assuming he used up his IV bags, while he would have been pretty weak and thirsty when he awoke, I think it's within the realms of possibility.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 06:33 PM   #369
Tom
Rear Admiral

This past episode really threw me when Adrea said she had been with Michonne for 7 to 8 months? So is Lori actually 9 months pregnant now? How much time passed since she screwed Shane then Rick, went tot he CDC, spent time on the farm and then parted from Andrea when the walkers overran it?
Old November 2 2012, 07:10 PM   #370
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

About seven months. They conveniently skipped winter (and the need for the show to film during that season) and advanced the pregnancy to the point where the group is seriously worried about what will happen. Lori is actually late, going by dialogue. Also conveniently, six months somewhat covers Carl's onset of puberty. He's visibly taller and his voice is changed from the previous season.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 08:17 PM   #371
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Seems like the Woodbury episode is a little further along in time than where we left the prison. Dialogue with Rick and the others made it sound like it had been maybe 4-5 months since they left the farm, so Lori wasn't far enough along yet.

Probably some time will have passed when we see the prison again. I'm guessing we'll see that they've settled down, begun farming, and are relaxing a bit. (I think they're taking a lesson from the farm and skipping over all the slow-moving stuff this time.) That also means the two plots will be in sync again — and Lori will be just about at term if she isn't late.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 08:52 PM   #372
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
Seems like the Woodbury episode is a little further along in time than where we left the prison. Dialogue with Rick and the others made it sound like it had been maybe 4-5 months since they left the farm, so Lori wasn't far enough along yet.

Probably some time will have passed when we see the prison again. I'm guessing we'll see that they've settled down, begun farming, and are relaxing a bit. (I think they're taking a lesson from the farm and skipping over all the slow-moving stuff this time.) That also means the two plots will be in sync again — and Lori will be just about at term if she isn't late.
Yea, I predict Lori will be delivering on the show at the same time as the Woodbury pregnancy

I don't think you're correct about the 4-5 months, though, Lori was pretty much ready to give birth when we last saw the Prison

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 09:38 PM   #373
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

I dunno-- she could have looked like that any time after seven months. Anyway, previews suggest something major is going to disrupt their lives at the prison, and that doesn't work well (in the dramatic sense) if they only just got there. No emotional investment in the place.
Old November 2 2012, 09:44 PM   #374
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
I dunno-- she could have looked like that any time after seven months. Anyway, previews suggest something major is going to disrupt their lives at the prison, and that doesn't work well (in the dramatic sense) if they only just got there. No emotional investment in the place.
Oh, sure, she could look like that 7 months along, but, there's also the "panicked urgency" to find a place for her to deliver. If she was still 2 months away from delivery, it wouldn't have been presented as so urgent, I don't believe. The first couple episodes gave the impression they were just about expecting her to deliver any minute

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 10:09 PM   #375
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Well, we should know the answer when we see if they have some significant crops, or if Hershel is decently healed up yet.