Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old October 13 2012, 03:07 PM   #16
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

Re: Enterprise References in new STAR TREK book, FEDERATION

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
Well, with all that was said in the 2009 movie, aside from mentioning "Admiral Archer" and his dog, who we don't even know if they were referring to Jonathan Archer or another Archer altogether, there was very little to indicate that Enterprise came before the movie.
I believe it was Orci and Kurtzman who confirmed that the Archer mentioned was indeed John Archer of Enterprise. Besides, the name drop makes no sense otherwise. Occam's Razor should be wielded here.

The prime universe was not altered until 2233 so Enterprise occurred as seen on TV. It is the only series that is canon in both universes.
Old October 14 2012, 06:01 PM   #17
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
the most financially sucessful Trek movie of them all
That would be Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

(ST Eleven is still second most)

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 04:23 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

^True, but TMP came along in a time when it was common for movies to stay in theatrical release for months, even a year, so it had far more opportunity to sell tickets than ST 2009 did. If you correct for that difference and, say, measure box office returns per week of release, ST '09 probably comes out on top.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2012, 12:43 AM   #19
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

T'Girl wrote: View Post
KingDaniel wrote: View Post
the most financially sucessful Trek movie of them all
That would be Star Trek: The Motion Picture
There was a snippet in an early 80s "Starlog" where Paramount execs admitted to being surprised by the final box office returns of TMP. (It was still running in suburban cinemas in August 1980 in Australia, for example, earning small but reliable continued sales.)

Originally pronounced a flop because it had so much outlay to recoup (and critics and fans tended to be critical of its slow pace), TMP eventually ended up with very respectable profits. Many fans went back every week, for many months. There was no TOS in prime time syndication from about September 1979 - Roddenberry suggested that Paramount withhold it to make fans really hungry for new ST.

But... so-called "sleeper hits" make studios very nervous. They'd rather make back the entirety of their investment in the opening weekend - ie. on multiple screens, and modern cineplexes make simultaneous coverage possible.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 05:19 PM   #20
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Christopher has announced a new Enterprise novel over in the Trek Lit section:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=192856

I was reluctant to start a new thread for this since there already is a thread in the appropriate place, so I put this here, since this is the newest book related thread and I seem to remember there were rumblings in this forum that Pocket could discontinue novels based on the series
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 07:20 PM   #21
Reanok
Commodore

Thanks for the news update I'm so excited we'll be getting another Enterprise novel with the Enterprise crew that continues where the Romulan war book series left off.I definitely thought there are alot of untold stories form the creation of the Federation and Starfleet and alles came to gether after the Romulan war.I'll be glad to see Shran and Soval in Chris"Upcoming novel.I'll be glad to fino out what happens with Trip&T'Pol too.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 09:10 PM   #22
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Yup. Seriously excited about that. Very happy to hear Pocket Books aren't leaving ENT-era in the lurch, after seemingly curtailing the Romulan War. Delivering a couple of novels which read more like a record of events, than a personal stories for the crew. But what's done is done.

A fresh start bringing in some new characters and also being able to show how existing characters like Archer, T'Pol and Shran fitted in, once there was a Federation up and running, is a pretty appealing idea.

Sounds like a sixth live-action Star Trek series I'd have watched, had they made it.

Traumatic experiences that scarred the crew during the war, can still be fed into the story, since it's bound to be important somehow - even just giving people motives that play into behaviour around others, or basic stuff they struggle to move on from, in their daily lives.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; November 2 2012 at 09:29 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2 2012, 11:12 PM   #23
Middleman
Captain

View Middleman's Twitter Profile

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
Well, with all that was said in the 2009 movie, aside from mentioning "Admiral Archer" and his dog, who we don't even know if they were referring to Jonathan Archer or another Archer altogether, there was very little to indicate that Enterprise came before the movie.
Yes it was Enterprise's Archer and yes Enterprise existed in both time lines. Bob Orci confirmed this in an interview back when the movie was released and he settled this issue.

Sarek: Is the “Admiral Archer” mentioned in the film intended to be Johnathan Archer from Enterprise? If so, he would be over a hundred years old Does the Enterprise timeline exist in this new reality?

BobOrci: yes, it is Admiral Archer is a reference to the Archer we all know and love, and yes he would be over 100, which is a likely life expectancy in a futuristic space faring race of humans (as depicted by McCoy’s (Deforest Kelley) in THE NEXT GENERATION.
You can find the whole interview here: http://trekmovie.com/2009/05/22/orci...kmovie-fan-qa/
Old November 2 2012, 11:15 PM   #24
Middleman
Captain

View Middleman's Twitter Profile

Defcon wrote: View Post
Christopher has announced a new Enterprise novel over in the Trek Lit section:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=192856

I was reluctant to start a new thread for this since there already is a thread in the appropriate place, so I put this here, since this is the newest book related thread and I seem to remember there were rumblings in this forum that Pocket could discontinue novels based on the series
Dude, you made my day
Old November 4 2012, 08:05 PM   #25
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Defcon wrote: View Post
Christopher has announced a new Enterprise novel ...
It was my understanding that Bennett's new novel wasn't about the NX-01 and it's crew, but instead was a "early Federation" novel that would include Archer.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 08:09 PM   #26
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

It's published under the Enterprise banner and will feature the characters, but yes the ship itself is decommissioned by the start of the novel. That why I choose to phrase it "based on the series" in the last sentence. Christopher explains everything about the set-up in the thread I linked to.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2012, 08:18 PM   #27
Christopher
Writer

It's not about NX-01, but it's primarily from the perspective of Enterprise's main and recurring characters and builds on continuity threads from ENT, as well as introducing new characters and threads.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2012, 05:04 PM   #28
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Relaunch continues: Christopher Bennet does Enterprise

http://christopherlbennett.wordpress...he-federation/

Chris, this better not suck!

EDIT: ...Aaand I seem to have misspelled his last name. Ah well... Sorry bro.
Old November 11 2012, 05:27 PM   #29
Miss Lemon
Fleet Captain

Re: Relaunch continues: Christopher Bennet does Enterprise

You do know that there's already a 12-page thread about this topic in TrekLit that was started by Christopher himself...?

Maybe we could use this thread to post our secret wishes about this book?
I wish for Hayes's twin brother to feature heavily in this book.

Hercule Poirot
: I am an imbecile. I see only half of the picture.
Miss Lemon: I don't even see that.
Miss Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2012, 05:33 PM   #30
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Re: Relaunch continues: Christopher Bennet does Enterprise

Miss Pumpkin wrote: View Post
You do know that there's already a 12-page thread about this topic in TrekLit that was started by Christopher himself...?
I don't think many people from the ENT board visit TrekLit forum.

I see no reason why we shouldn't have a thread about this here as well. After all, it's been done before.